A couple of Multiple Choice Questions - Help Please :) (1 Viewer)

hobbs363

HSC
N/A
Hi, just doing some q's as revision, have looked through text book, notes and online but cant seem to find an answer / or am not sure I fully understand these:

1. Many Enzymes are highly specific for particular substrates. What is the general advantage for having highly specific enzymes?

A) They allow a biochemical reaction to occur in one step
B) THe protein in the enzyme can be used in the reaction
C) The products of each step in a biochemical pathway are produced in the correct order
D) The reactants in a particular reaction can be present in smaller concentrations

I also then have to EXPLAIN the answer

2. Salt travels in the blood as ions. Which list correctly shows positive and negative ions carried in the blood. (How do I know this and this isnt in the syllabus is it?)

A) Positive - Chloride, Hydrogen Carbonate
Negative - Sodium, potassium, calcium

B) Positive - Sodium, Potassium, Calcium
Negative - Chloride, hydrogen carbonate

C) Positive - Magnesium, Sodium, Chloride
Negative - Potassium, Chloride

D) Positive - Hydrogen Carbonate, Potassium
Negative - Magnesium, Chloride

Again, I need to EXPLAIN

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
for 1) i would say C but not 100% sure, my reasoning is the hydrolisis of sucrose etc. is done within a particular order such as (not correct just example to be more clear) galactose --> maltose + lactose --> Carbon, Hydrogen ande Oxgen components, in this process the galactose has to be broken down into its next simplier sugars before being broken into to thier elemental components. That is my thinking but as I said, not 100% sure.

2) have no idea

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I'm looking through my excel book for bio, and I can't find anything on whether the ions are pos or neg :S that's a weird question.

You'd probably need someone doing chem to help you with this one.

jet

Banned
HSC
For the second question, the answer is B. It is the only option without a positive ion being labelled as negative.

hobbs363

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

yugi

HSC
where did you get these questions from :uhoh: and why are they so hard!

Dragonangel

HSC
Hi, just doing some q's as revision, have looked through text book, notes and online but cant seem to find an answer / or am not sure I fully understand these:

1. Many Enzymes are highly specific for particular substrates. What is the general advantage for having highly specific enzymes?

A) They allow a biochemical reaction to occur in one step
B) THe protein in the enzyme can be used in the reaction
C) The products of each step in a biochemical pathway are produced in the correct order
D) The reactants in a particular reaction can be present in smaller concentrations

I also then have to EXPLAIN the answer

2. Salt travels in the blood as ions. Which list correctly shows positive and negative ions carried in the blood. (How do I know this and this isnt in the syllabus is it?)

A) Positive - Chloride, Hydrogen Carbonate
Negative - Sodium, potassium, calcium

B) Positive - Sodium, Potassium, Calcium
Negative - Chloride, hydrogen carbonate

C) Positive - Magnesium, Sodium, Chloride
Negative - Potassium, Chloride

D) Positive - Hydrogen Carbonate, Potassium
Negative - Magnesium, Chloride

Again, I need to EXPLAIN

For question 1, the answer would be C since the formation of specific products in a correct sequence is required for a metabolic pathway.

For question 2, the answer is B. Sodium (Na+), Potassium (K+), Calcium (Ca2+) are obviously all positive. Chloride (Cl-) and hydrogen carbonate (HCO3-) are obviously negative.

What confuses me though is that for question 2, I answered with chemical knowledge. Is that required for biology? I did biology in the Northern Territory so it would be different.

DInfinity

Ad Infinitum
HSC
What confuses me though is that for question 2, I answered with chemical knowledge. Is that required for biology? I did biology in the Northern Territory so it would be different.
HSC biology student here. We learned about those ions when we did kidney function in Maintaining a Balance. However, we didn't really focus on which ones were positive and which ones were negative. I too, answered with chemistry knowledge xD

Dragonangel

HSC
HSC biology student here. We learned about those ions when we did kidney function in Maintaining a Balance. However, we didn't really focus on which ones were positive and which ones were negative. I too, answered with chemistry knowledge xD
Haha, I guess studying Chemistry with Biology would be a distinct advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)