A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrassed? (1 Viewer)

Jinks

HSC
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

I was under the impression that a double degree in say comm/law possibly gave you slightly better negotiating power (in terms of salary) when it came to securing a graduate role, but i'm talking about 2-3k tops. This is all second hand information though so I can't verify anything.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

I'm not a professional or anything just yet but I would assume that having a double degree would suggest that, to an extent, you have more capabilities or, at the very least, knowledge than the average single degree holder and therefore would be of slightly more value to the organisation. Again, that's just speculation, and of course in matters determining capabilities the extent of the applicants' passed experience would have more weighing.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

I'm not a professional or anything just yet but I would assume that having a double degree would suggest that, to an extent, you have more capabilities or, at the very least, knowledge than the average single degree holder and therefore would be of slightly more value to the organisation. Again, that's just speculation, and of course in matters determining capabilities the extent of the applicants' passed experience would have more weighing.
At a starting level, it wouldn't matter how much you are 'theoretically' valued. If you've got the same job, you've got the same pay.

hsclover

HSC
N/A

This is possibly one of the most ridiculous threads I have ever read..........When I first read "A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. Do you ever feel embarrassed" I legitimately thought that it was a a joke.. until I saw who was posting. sghgous, please take the advice of some of these people. No one is embarrassed by MQ/UTS because they are incredible institutions in their own right. I honestly can't believe a question like this has even been brought up. I really hope you have a change in attitude. The students at Macq, I'm sure, after reading this post, will be ashamed to have you in their uni if you don't seriously reconsider your views. I truly hope that despite your "personal reasons" you triumph in your studies at Macq, but it will be highly unlikely if you view your new uni with your distorted perceptions. I myself considered UTS as one of my choices and in no way felt that it was inferior to any of the other uni's I applied to. I'd just like to reiterate.. no one is embarrassed by MQ/UTS in the slightest, because there is absolutely no reason why they should be... I hope your "direct and harsh honest question" has been answered.

HSC

Some people doing law at macq/uts do feel inferior to usyd/unsw, that's the reality lol. For most courses it is not the case though, only the pretentious ones

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

I was under the impression that a double degree in say comm/law possibly gave you slightly better negotiating power (in terms of salary) when it came to securing a graduate role, but i'm talking about 2-3k tops. This is all second hand information though so I can't verify anything.
Negotiating salary should not even be a consideration when it comes to graduate jobs because the bargaining power lies with employers (not employees) given that graduates have very little in the way of experience and there are far more graduates than positions. This so called 'negotiating power' in the corporate world relates to experience further on in your career, not entry level degree qualification. The more experience you have compared to your rival applicants (especially in management and technical skills) the more 'scarce' you are and hence the greater you can negotiate salary. Graduates are inexperienced and most certainly not scarce. There are tonnes of graduates out there, what do you have in terms of relevant experience and skills that an employer greatly values that no other applicant has? The answer is not a double degree because thousands of other applicants have double degrees as well.
As a past applicant I can say that at least in the corporate world your undergraduate degree doesn't mean much to an employer whether it be single or double. It is usually viewed as a bare minimum that every applicant should have. A degree alone has little value to the enployer so there is no way they would vary salary on something that has little value. It's your knowledge, skills and experience that count, not your degree. Whilst it may be true that a double degree gives the student more knowledge and capabilities, this only perhaps benefits them when it comes to the application process i.e. potential upper hand over single degree applicants in successfully getting the job in the first place.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)