A "good" WAM (1 Viewer)

packwolf

HSC
I realise there will be many personal factors affecting graduate job prospects and there is no definitive academic achievement that will lead being a successful applicant, but what WAM would one say in general is "good"?

In this context I define a "good" WAM to be one that generally does not count against you for most typical jobs. I am not talking about highly competitive IB jobs for the record.

Thanks, and apologies for the really general question

sinophile

HSC
N/A
The higher the better. But at least get a credit or above because many companies won't even look at you if you have just a pass.

q3thefish

HSC
i'd like to know what's a good wam for engineering

enoilgam

HSC
is this lower just because it is a less competitive industry with more jobs available?
Possibly - or it could be due to the fact that it is difficult to get high marks in engineering (not too sure on this, just going off what I have heard). A "good WAM" is fairly subjective - it depends on the field you're interested in as well as the positions you're applying for (i.e. if you are a lawyer and want to work at a big 6 firms, you will need obviously need a strong WAM, if you're content with any grad position you could probably get away with less).

D94

HSC
N/A
If we go by the UNSW engineering WAM calculations for First Class Honours, then a "good WAM" would be around 75. Since we are looking for "jobs", then I would say having a degree with honours (I) is better than a Pass with Distinction/Pass.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
For mathematics/sciences an 85+ HD average is more common than you would think. In the context of your question, 75+ for commerce is decent enough that it won't hurt you at all.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
For mathematics/sciences an 85+ HD average is more common than you would think. In the context of your question, 75+ for commerce is decent enough that it won't hurt you at all.
Could you give an estimate? I haven't met anybody with a HD average so far. But then again, most people don't advertise their WAM.

What's the highest you've seen?

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Percentage of the population with HD's, I thought that Usyd scaled down the majority of their marks to fit the ~3%, ~17% etc. brackets.
Perhaps the mathematics faculty is separately moderated. Out of the people I knew well in mathematics at usyd, (mostly those who did honours with me), somewhere between a third and a half of them would have had a HD average through their undergrad.

Mind you, 3% of the candidature for the typical senior maths units would be less that one person :p.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps the mathematics faculty is separately moderated. Out of the people I knew well in mathematics at usyd, (mostly those who did honours with me), somewhere between a third and a half of them would have had a HD average through their undergrad.

Mind you, 3% of the candidature for the typical senior maths units would be less that one person :p.
Well, in that case I'd say that your sample population might be slightly biased :).

zhiying

HSC
From listening to my cohort in Actuarial, 80+ is like v.g.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Maths HD average?

omgwtfbbq

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
just look on linkedin, there's quite a few people from various degrees with HD WAMs of above 90.

as for me... i did commerce and had a 74 wam :( failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)