• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A good way to study - Crime (3 Viewers)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well i obviously have the answer. :D but i aint gona say. now i can repeat the chant "i know something you don't know."

i like supplying hard questions :D

roadcone

HSC
A while ago on here there was a bit of a discussion regarding how long police were able to keep people after arrest etc. Here are a couple of links to websites that I thought I would put up because they give a good (although basic) overview of the rights of the accused, which is a question that they tend to like to ask occassionally in part (d)...

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/crd.nsf/pages/community4

http://www.lawsociety.com.au/page.asp?partid=6691

So anyway that is just my random contribution.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
manifestation said:
Next question:

What are two sources of criminal law?
common law and statute law
Next question:
whats is a third source?

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
international criminal law?

Define Criminal Law
wrong melsc!
answer is the constitution :rolleyes:
criminal law deals with acts or ommissions against the community, punishable by the state

define international crime

goan_crazy

HSC
manifestation said:
I'll put the next question.......since Melsc forgot.

Name 3 punishments and discuss their purposes and effectiveness:
imprisonment-it incapicates the offender
fine-retribution
community service order-rehabilitates

next question
name the other purposes of punishment

manifestation

What?!
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
imprisonment-it incapicates the offender
fine-retribution
community service order-rehabilitates

next question
U wouldnt get full marks for that question my friend you didnt answer the whole question......how about the effectiveness of these punishments that you have mentioned..........

goan_crazy

HSC
manifestation said:
n e way getting back to joe's question:

next question

I'll let someone else answer it
Well no one answered it so i might as well
purposes of punishments are:
retribution
rehabilitation
deterrence

reintegrative shaming
incapication

next question: what do each of these mean?
retribution
rehabilitation
deterrence

reintegrative shaming
incapication

SiReN

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
retribution
rehabilitation
deterrence

reintegrative shaming
incapication
retribution: pay back (revenge) eye for eye eg: electric chair -family view this thru a window
rehabilitation: changing the behaviour of the offender eg: education programs- learn new skills....
deterrence: discouraging ppl from committing the crime or again eg: speeding fines (short term) prison (long term)
reintegrative shaming : restorative justice- aims to establish a moral bond with society .
incapication: make the offender incaple of committing the crime again eg: chemical castration (sex offender)

:rolleyes: a question ayy ok umm because i always get these two concepts mixed up : what is natural law and what is natural justice ?

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
Well no one answered it so i might as well

retribution
rehabilitation
deterrence

reintegrative shaming
incapication
NOTE: Many of my definitions do not reflect the current system, rather they reflect models that have been suggested by academics.

Retribution: This is also referred to as 'revenge' the idea that criminal justice will provide the victim with some form of content in seeing the offender 'pay' for their wrongdoings. This falls also under the processes of the Restorative Justice model to a lesser extent (in returning the dignity of the victim). We have three ways we can pay-back:
Restitution That the offender gives whatever they have taken back to the victim, e.g. stolen goods
Compensation For the items or damages not able to be returned, they are to compensate for them
Reparation Where neither is possible, possibly the offering of pay-back

Rehabilitation The focus on correcting criminal behaviour so reduce recidivism. This concern of re-offending was identified by the positivist school of thought.

Deterrence There are two types:
Specific Detterring the offender from offending aagain
General Detterring the community from offending by making an example

Reintegrative Shaming
This is based on Braithwaite's Republican Model, that crime is the act by where the offender interferes with the dominion of the victim. The process of the CJS is to restore the victim's dominion, but shaming the offender by reintegrating them back into the community and work with them. Examples include TAFE courses in prison and education. Ideas have also stemmed into Conferencing - youth offenders face victims and sentence decided on (Circle Sentencing). This has been criticised, many Shaming models mean offenders need to plead guilty (e.g. Drug Court) and so their ability to challenge evidence is often not explored where police could have 'got it wrong'.

goan_crazy

HSC
SiReN said:

:rolleyes: a question ayy ok umm because i always get these two concepts mixed up : what is natural law and what is natural justice ?

that question should be in the law and society forum:p
anyway ill answer it
natural law is law made by higher powers or reasoning-aka known as god made law

natural justice or procedural farieness is based on two parts:
the hearing rule and the rule against bias
the hearing rule is every1 has the right to be heard by an impartial judge
and the rule against bias is that the decision maker should be free from bias

ok back to crime: what is the dusko tadic case study about?

SiReN

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
that question should be in the law and society forum:p
anyway ill answer it
natural law is law made by higher powers or reasoning-aka known as god made law

natural justice or procedural farieness is based on two parts:
the hearing rule and the rule against bias
the hearing rule is every1 has the right to be heard by an impartial judge
and the rule against bias is that the decision maker should be free from bias

ok back to crime: what is the dusko tadic case study about?
oh shit yeah sorry! thanks anyways,to answer your question:

Factual allegations:
The amended Indictment of 14 December 1995 names both Dusko Tadic and Goran Borovnica, but the latter remains at large.
(see Borovnica case (IT-95-3).

The Indictment generally alleges that in late May 1992, Serb forces attacked Bosnian Muslim and Croat population centres in the Prijedor municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Subsequently the forces unlawfully confined thousands of Muslims and Croats in the Omarska, Keraterm and Trnopolje camps.

The Indictment alleges that between late May 1992 and 31 December 1992, Dusko Tadic participated in attacks on and the seizure, murder and maltreatment of Bosnian Muslims and Croats in the Prijedor municipality, both within and outside the camps

Charges:
The amended Indictment charged the accused on the basis of individual criminal responsibility (Article 7(1) of the Statute) with:

twelve counts of crimes against humanity (Article 5 of the Statute - persecution on political, racial and/or religious grounds; murder; inhumane acts),
twelve counts of grave breaches of the 1949 Geneva Conventions (Article 2 thereof - wilful killing; torture or inhuman treatment; wilfully causing great suffering or serious injury to body or health),and
ten counts of violations of the laws or customs of war (Article 3 thereof - cruel treatment; murder).

goan_crazy

HSC
SiReN said:
oh shit yeah sorry! thanks anyways,to answer your question:

Factual allegations:
The amended Indictment of 14 December 1995 names both Dusko Tadic and Goran Borovnica, but the latter remains at large.
(see Borovnica case (IT-95-3).

The Indictment generally alleges that in late May 1992, Serb forces attacked Bosnian Muslim and Croat population centres in the Prijedor municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Subsequently the forces unlawfully confined thousands of Muslims and Croats in the Omarska, Keraterm and Trnopolje camps.

The Indictment alleges that between late May 1992 and 31 December 1992, Dusko Tadic participated in attacks on and the seizure, murder and maltreatment of Bosnian Muslims and Croats in the Prijedor municipality, both within and outside the camps

Charges:
The amended Indictment charged the accused on the basis of individual criminal responsibility (Article 7(1) of the Statute) with:

twelve counts of crimes against humanity (Article 5 of the Statute - persecution on political, racial and/or religious grounds; murder; inhumane acts),
twelve counts of grave breaches of the 1949 Geneva Conventions (Article 2 thereof - wilful killing; torture or inhuman treatment; wilfully causing great suffering or serious injury to body or health),and
ten counts of violations of the laws or customs of war (Article 3 thereof - cruel treatment; murder).
congrats on that answer SiReN! that was great
wanna make the next question?
if not i will. define extradition

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
extradition bascially means the exportation of a criminal back to the country to face charges, that had been committed.

do not get home country and the crime mixed up.

to elaborate further, extradition can only occur if two countries have an agreement, whether this be by extradtition agreement, or a discussed agreement.

what are the rights of a child if he or she is found to be accused of a crime? give relevant statutes or other necesary sources to answer the question. (i realise this overlaps with law and society).

edit: was thinking of crime when i typed it :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)