"a higher uai suggests greater chance of succeeding at uni." (1 Viewer)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
UAI is only a partial measure of success at uni. Surviving uni is dependant on your work ethic.
Yeah, I'll probably be a lot more motivated to do work in uni than high school, since I'll be doing subjects that I'm actually interested in.

I spend more time on maths, chem and physics, not just because they take up more time, but also because I actually find them interesting (unlike my other subjects)

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
Well I guess they also use the UAC system to decide your suitability for a uni course. Ofcourse there are exceptions but the system's really based on that yes, a higher UAI means you have more potential for succeeding at Uni. So many other factors to consider though.
Like I'm aiming for a 95 atleast but I'm getting the feeling I'm just going to end up fucking it off and going to tafe to become a chef.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
Within medicine at UNSW I've found that those who, from what I've been told, aced the HSC (i.e. state rankings and/or 99.9+) continue to be guns in the medical course (performing towards the top of the cohort). There are counter-examples of course, as there always will be, but the correlation seems fairly strong on initial observation (and is it any surprise given that medicine, much like the HSC, requires a great deal of commitment and rote learning?).

HSC
My parents (who are teachers) know kids with low UAIs are dumbshits.

My Dad does this hell funny thing every year. He always gets a dumbshit standard english class who have put in no work all year and muck around. So some 2 weeks before school ends and they start getting really nervous he says 'look, just knuckle down and pay attention in class and I'll get you a pass' - they do and end up getting a 55 for english, but what they don't realise is the marking basically starts at 50.

Once he had this kid come up to him on the playground, give him the bird and say 'fuck you sir, I didn't pay attention all year and I got a 53!'

Dad replies 'well done' :D

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
low UAI =/= dumbshit
It just means he didn't apply himself hard enough, and consequently is not fit to take on uni education

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
low UAI =/= dumbshit
It just means he didn't apply himself hard enough, and consequently is not fit to take on uni education
In which case where do you draw the line?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
when the students attitude to study simply sucks

Eg
Refuses to consider regular revision
Has absolutely no consideration for future goals (its normal for people to feel a bit aimless, but spending no time thinking about your future is pitiful)

Unless it happens to be that your definition of a dumbshit is both a mentally retarded and poor attitude kid, I define it as a kid with poor attitude

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
80 is a good figure, but if a student received something really low after the hsc, worked, learnt that he needed more skills, realised his need to gain more knowledge and is willing to work for it, then he is ready to go to uni too.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haven't we answered this before? Like every year since this place has started?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
every generation only starts to pay attention to these things when it has great bearings on them and their futures

HSC
AsyLum said:
Haven't we answered this before? Like every year since this place has started?
It always ends with some wanker saying people are snobs for even considering it, and that their friend knows someone who got a 65 and yet ends up a rhodes scholar.

Edit: and the kid who got the 100.40 but couldn't cope with uni cause he was a 'spoon fed private school kid who didn't know nothing' and ended up as an egg deliverer.

Last edited:

Annalisee

HSC
There is no way you can accurately and definitely decide whether it's logical to say that a higher uai will mean you'll succeed in uni.
You can be doing shit subjects at school that you hate such as...hrmm English which everyone has to do and get your UAI dragged down heaps because of it then get to say a BA of Science and excel because that's what you're interested in.
alternatively you can go really well in school and get a great UAI for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with intelligence. Hard work, like someone said going to a highly ranked school or having your entire grade go magnificently. Then the person gets a high UAI, get into a course in high demand with a high cutoff and not have that environment to feed off thus
FAIL

it can go both ways

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
decoil said:
Yeah because combined law degree's are about the same difficulty as agriculture. gg.
Law isn't especially difficult. Ag science is a legit course, nothing to be laughed at.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Annalisee said:
There is no way you can accurately and definitely decide whether it's logical to say that a higher uai will mean you'll succeed in uni.
Few people are silly enough to suggest that a high UAI ensures good uni performance. The question is whether a high UAI tends to predict higher uni performance. I would expect a correlation (though it would likely vary over different degrees and cohorts). Do we have a way to accurately determine whether such a correlation exists and thus whether the claim holds? Yes, it's called statistical analysis.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'd bet there's a correlation between higher UAI's and success at uni.

But as we all know, correlation does not imply causation.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Graney said:
But as we all know, correlation does not imply causation.
Of course. An abstract school mark clearly doesn't cause good uni marks. Underlying cognitive abilities and personality traits (intelligence, ability to delay reward, etc ) cause both, generating a correlation.

Last edited:
HSC
KFunk said:
Of course. An abstract school mark clearly doesn't cause good uni marks. Underlying cognitive abilities and personality traits (intelligence, ability to delay reward, etc ) cause both, generating a correlation.
You uni students are no fun. Why, if I were a mad-cool uni student answering nooby HSC student's answers I'd do stuff like make up bullshit graphs showing how getting a 80 UAI will mean that per semester you can be guarenteed a distinction, 2 high credits and a pass.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
You uni students are no fun. Why, if I were a mad-cool uni student answering nooby HSC student's answers I'd do stuff like make up bullshit graphs showing how getting a 80 UAI will mean that per semester you can be guarenteed a distinction, 2 high credits and a pass.
That's what troll accounts are for.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Haha, perhaps in the right mood. I tend to find that there are easier, more productive ways of getting my kicks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)