"a higher uai suggests greater chance of succeeding at uni." (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
You uni students are no fun. Why, if I were a mad-cool uni student answering nooby HSC student's answers I'd do stuff like make up bullshit graphs showing how getting a 80 UAI will mean that per semester you can be guarenteed a distinction, 2 high credits and a pass.
no

that would make us lame hsc students, not cool uni students

gosh.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
decoil said:
Yeah because combined law degree's are about the same difficulty as agriculture. gg.
Combined law is easier than most Science or Engineering degrees you fuckmonkey.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Omium said:
(waits for the 1 in 100 000 story of person getting UAI of 95 and dropping out of uni......)
Fair few of the guys I knew from HighSchool (Elite private school yadayadayada) have gone native and dropped out of their commerce/law/medicine or whatever to go do teaching and arts because they want to give something back. One of them's just totally dropped out to start a daycare centre. More power to them, dudes, they're living their dreams. I'm not going to hack shit on them for living their dreams.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
If you look closely, you can deduce from this graph that students who obtained a uai of 80.00 or close to that, were the most likely to get a distinction at uni

this is because uni grades have their own natural UAI resonance, such that the probability of getting them peaks sharply for that UAI.

This graph is based on the latest data, straight from the boredofstudies institute for common misconceptions about UAI and uni.

Next week, we will look at quantifying prestige to maximise your degree's $$$ value

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
If you look closely, you can deduce from this graph that students who obtained a uai of 80.00 or close to that, were the most likely to get a distinction at uni
Results just came in for the likelihood of getting a high distinction. It is presented below:

</shit stirring>

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

this is because uni grades have their own natural UAI resonance, such that the probability of getting them peaks sharply for that UAI.

This graph is based on the latest data, straight from the boredofstudies institute for common misconceptions about UAI and uni.
LMFAO

Captain Gh3y said:
Next week, we will look at quantifying prestige to maximise your degree's $$$ value
Other notable topics:
- Law vs Medicine
- Maquarie vs UTS
- Is there really a B Cocksucking course offered at UWS?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
- Is there really a B Cocksucking course offered at UWS?
It's offered as an Arts major. Probably the only major with job prospects.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Within a unit of study or a degree, I think that there is somerelationship between UAIs and uni grades.

The coursework in uni can sometimes be much different to that in high school. eg two uni students doing i.t at uni. One with a uai of 95, but did sciences and history and the other with a uai of 90 did IPT, SDD and Design and Technology.

We can also say that these two environments are much different to each other and one may be more suited to uni than another.

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
It's offered as an Arts major. Probably the only major with job prospects.
Yeah my ex is looking at it. She might need to do a bridging course though as she only lasts 40 seconds before her nose gets blocked.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Yeah my ex is looking at it. She might need to do a bridging course though as she only lasts 40 seconds before her nose gets blocked.
whatever helps you get over the break up...

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
*shakes*

"maybe"

*shakes again*

"ask again later"

*shakes again later*

"definetely"

*shakes once more just to be sure*

"outlook not so good"

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
I have come to understand it like this: the competitiveness of ones UAI has a direct correlation with the chances of a person completing that course of study.

If someone with a comparatively low UAI is entered into a course that traditiaonlly requires a high UAI, then that student has a lower chance of completing the course than someone who enters into that same course with a higher UAI.

Given the generalised nature of the statement, we can safely discard exceptional cases –within reason- in hope of coming to some consensus as to the relative merits of the OP’s statement.

In other words, if 9/10 students with 90+ UAI’s complete their uni course, and only 1/10 students with below 60 UAI’s complete their uni courses, then in general we can assume the OP’s statement to be true.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
If you can't be bothered studying at high school you sure as hell won't suceed [LOL] at uni.
Bullshit. The only study I did at high school was like half an hour's worth of distracted study just before my final English exam. Consequently I did not acheive an ENTER score representative of my intellectual capability. When I did get to uni I was getting D's and HD's until I dropped out because there was no future in my course and I realised I wanted something different.

'Succeeding' at High school (i.e a high ENTER/UAI) has not so much to do with intelligence as it does to willpower and more importantly amount of study. I did better at uni because I was learning shit I wanted to learn and I could learn at my own pace away from idiots.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
If you look closely, you can deduce from this graph that students who obtained a uai of 80.00 or close to that, were the most likely to get an erection at uni

Fixed.

patty4848

HSC
Omium said:
If you had $ 50 000 to bet on two people suceeding at university.

Student "a" got a UAI of 99

Student "b" got a UAI of 60

Who would you place your $50 000 on?

I wonder........

If you can't be bothered studying at high school you sure as hell won't suceed at uni.

(waits for the 1 in 100 000 story of person getting UAI of 95 and dropping out of uni......)
What's wrong with betting on both. Just because there is 39 UAI ranks between them, doesn't simply mean one will succeed 'more' and the other simply won't succeed. What's stopping the person with UAI 60 from entering a course in university with the same cutoff rank and that they enjoy immensely, and succeeding in that course?!?

UAI doesn't mean a thing when it comes to university (except entry)! And I'm sure that people at uni couldn't care less about other people's UAIs.

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
patty4848 said:
UAI doesn't mean a thing when it comes to university (except entry)! And I'm sure that people at uni couldn't care less about other people's UAIs.
Couldn't agree more but I think there are definitely bands of UAI - not specific UAIs that relate to a certain extent to university marks. University marks may not correlate directly with UAI but there is a relationship in most cases. Certainly students who are able to understand the course content have a distinct advantage over those who sat on their desk and memorised boredofstudies premium notes for their HSC, when studying in University.

Annalisee said:
You can be doing shit subjects at school that you hate such as...hrmm English which everyone has to do and get your UAI dragged down heaps because of it then get to say a BA of Science and excel because that's what you're interested in.
alternatively you can go really well in school and get a great UAI for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with intelligence. it can go both ways
True again and I think it reflect my "band of UAI" theory - namely that if you didn't like, say english, then you will have perhaps done will in maths and science. Notwithstanding that you didn't get 99+ you will have atleast gotten something respectable (say, over 80?) which shows your ability to apply yourself to an area of study - and perhaps would correlate to your ability to perform at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)