A Law Degree.?..ZZZzzzzzzzzzz (1 Viewer)

David27

God- who in their right mind would want to study law?
Do you realise how boring & tedious the actual study of it is?
That there is an over-supply.
That the practise of law is not like an episode of Ally McBeal or "The Practise".
Good luck!!

Dingo

Banned
david27 wat u find boring may be exciting to others.
what others find boring might be exciting to you.

:chainsaw:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Dingo
david27 wat u find boring may be exciting to others.
what others find boring might be exciting to you.

:chainsaw:
yes and i find david extremley boring for spamming

David27

Which reminds of people who study Psychology?
No it's not like you'll waltz in Ala Clarisse Starling and interview Dr Hannibal lecter. That together with all those other 'sexy' profiler type shows give people the wrong impression of what the work entails and how unhollywood it actually is.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
what draws anyone to a certain profession? me personally, i am drawn to allied health and wouldnt study law if you paid me to, other people are fascinated by law and bored to tears by allied health
what you deem interesting is not everyones interesting.
you may be drawn to X, the person on your left Y and the person on your right Z, you have no right to say any is a better profession, course or whatever, it is upto the individual

you have no right to say holdens are better than fords, league is better than aussie rules, sydney is better than melbourne, backyard blitz is better than groundforce, (the list goes on) just as you have no right to say X is a better course than Law, its personal preferences

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
Well, I guess a certain percentage of people may be led into law thinking 'crime show dramas', but saying the entire study of law is boring and tedious is completely uncalled for. For one thing, I find a human rights/international law/social issues slant extremely interesting.

Originally posted by melbournian
I believe Law is extremely overhyped, particually by those who don't which to practice law. But thats my opinion, and if peo ple want to study it to 'make themselves more employable' than so be it. However, it may open up employment opportunities, but may also close some (some people don't like the way a LLB makes people think). I certainly wouldn't spend the years studying it, just as a 'support' degree, to say Commerce.
Overhyped? I know alot of people who want to go into law, and evidently it's a very popular field of study, but I doubt that they have overly unrealistic assumptions about the actual study and practice of it. It's not like people who have the potential to get 99+ UAI to get a law degree would walk out of Legally Blonde wanting to be just like Reese Witherspoon's character (whatever her name was)!

And career potential and interest aren't only the two reasons people choose law. A working knowledge of the legal system is very advantageous to ANY member of society. When I put Law down as my first preference in a few months time, I'ld be thinking of the usefulness a knowledge in law can add to me and my family and friends. I've witnessed members of my family been screwed over by lawyers or signed a contract *under the supervision of a lawyer* and a few months down the line suffered loss when the contract didn't specify what they assumed it would.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations that law won't need me to sit down and memorise alot of boring and seemingly useless dates and legislation, but that's expected in alot of other occupations like engineering! But I know studying law will come with its good sides and bad sides, I won't know until I hit uni will I? But one things for sure, I'm choosing it for the right reasons, and I'm CERTAIN the MAJORITY aren't choosing law for the Hollywood glamour. :)

David27

Sounds like your into the implied prestige of law by comparing it to nursing, which you more or less belittle in comparison.
The nurses can get a job at the drop of a hat, can work anywhere, anytime of day or night they want, if they do agency work, they can change employers and not get stuck with an employer they don't particularly like. They can take holidays when they want if they do agency, and work overseas with their degree if they choose so to do, with the same flexibility they do here. Your law degree doesn't give you that, I believe.
I'd also guess the nurses have far more public respect than lawyers!!

David27

You mean a pimp 'masters'
That first semester was damn hard in more ways than one.
Talk about expensive. History of anatomy textbook $79.98.
Mink fur coat $5,000. Gold Chain necklace, $8,000. Diamond ring $11,000. Kucleduster (Sterling silver) $3,000.
Practicals are the best part you won't be suprised to know.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
yeah most gf's i noe really want to get into law for the prestige, momney and basically elle woods looks 'cool' doing it....

Ribbon

Originally posted by melbournian
Why would you need a law degree for it?
Its just televised arbitration.
I think you just missed the sarcasm.

Don_Juan

HSC
< Spam >

Cool i wanna be a Forenzic chemist so i can be like those guys in CSI!!!!!!! that show is so cool. Or maybe Law like in the Practice, But what i would really enjoy is being a doctor- so study medical, then my life would be just like it is on Scrubs! and take LCD or Ice so i can get those funny illusions in.

< / Spam >

Does it really matter? As long as you have an idea of what you want to do, and that your trying should be enough. Else if your chosen profesion does not suit you or what you'd thought it would be you could always change anyway. This forum is closed..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)