A question on concurrent degrees. (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hello, I'd just like to ask anyone who knows about the Macquarie concurrent degree(not the normal double degree) thing, how are you supposed to place this in your preferences? For example if I wanted to have BA(Psych) and BMedSc as part of my concurrent study pattern, would I list them both and then when I got into one, apply internally to add the other? Or would I do something else?
Thank you to anyone who can clear up my confusion about this matter.:)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Macquarie has MedSc?

Anyway, you normally decide to "do" (read: transfer into) a concurrent degree after your first year. Because you have to decide how your higher level (200, 300 etc.) units are spread between your two degrees. So you'd apply for one, and then add the other.

Best to ring up the uni.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ah, I see now. Thanks flyin'.:)

^___^
HSC
i think it is possible to do a concurrent degree as soon as you enrolled

that is, you put either one of your degree as a preference, and when you are in the uni, if your uai or uac requirments(or GPA-wise) is sufficient for you to enroll into the other degree, you can do the concurrent then

but the information i read is that MQ advises you to start your concurrent after 1 year of full time study

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
You're welcome.

As an aside: concurrent degrees usually require you to do about 3 to 5 extra subjects compared to double degrees. And you really have to decide to do a concurrent degree beginning of first semester or latest at the beginning of second semester of second year.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
flyin' said:
You're welcome.

As an aside: concurrent degrees usually require you to do about 3 to 5 extra subjects compared to double degrees. And you really have to decide to do a concurrent degree beginning of first semester or latest at the beginning of second semester of second year.
Yeah i'm lookin at doin a concurrent degree as well...i wanna add a B.Arts to my B.Com-Mktg degree. I picked up the form last semester but havent really read thru it yet...

@ flyin: is it a requirement to decide on a concurrent degree by 2nd yr? Or just ur suggestion?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It's my suggestion (and a recommendation from something I read when I was thinking about doing a concurrent degree.)

It's because you have to decide how your units are spread across the two degrees. This becomes particularly important with the 300-level requirements of each degree. It's something like you have to chose which degree your units will go in, before you do them (or at least that's what I read). My explanation so far is bad.

There is definitely a detailed explanation, and you'll understand why it's recommended you chose as early in your second year as possible. There maybe links to places here at BoS, or just search MQ website.

^___^
HSC
just go to the student service desk and ask about concurrent degree

they have a few pages worth of information about it :)

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
... said:
just go to the student service desk and ask about concurrent degree

they have a few pages worth of information about it :)
Yeah i picked up that yellow form already...i just gotta read it properly :)

So flyin, wot was the other degree u were lookin at? That would hav made it a triple degree?

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
flyin' said:
Macquarie has MedSc?

Anyway, you normally decide to "do" (read: transfer into) a concurrent degree after your first year. Because you have to decide how your higher level (200, 300 etc.) units are spread between your two degrees. So you'd apply for one, and then add the other.

Best to ring up the uni.
lol i emailed the uni... the person replied like a month later saying "why don't you apply and find out for sure?" or something like that

^___^
HSC
AcStyle* said:

So flyin, wot was the other degree u were lookin at? That would hav made it a triple degree?

err yellow form?
mine is purple :|

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
... said:
err yellow form?
mine is purple :|
LoL its probly the same form, its just the uni lyks to use different colour paper. I remember last yr those Mentor applications came in an array of colours as well...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
AcStyle* said:

I was only after two degrees with the word Advanced, in addition.
pb said:
lol i emailed the uni... the person replied like a month later saying "why don't you apply and find out for sure?" or something like that
I wouldn't be surprised. =p

X

xeuyrawp

This has totally been answered already, but I heard someone ask this at an open day, in relation to a BA / DipAncLang- and the answer was a certain "you can easily do it once you enrol, as long as you meet the requirements of both degrees, and don't do more than two bachelors degrees".

You can't do it online, you have to talk to student services or something if you want to do it first sem of first year.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

CrashOveride said:
What's teh diff between this and dbl degree?
Intrinsically, nothing.

Mine is a concurrent degree because you can't do it combined. That being said, I didn't enroll in BAncHist and then add Law- it was a bit of an odd case, so I don't know about the proceedure to add a degree...

Combined degrees generally have more rigid subject choices already made for you, with a clear path(/s) set for you.

Concurrently, you need to be sure that you can do enough units of both at the same time to satisfy the degree without leaving heaps of units at the end. Combined, you're generally forced to chose one of the streams of subjects and just stick with that with one or two electives, whereas a concurrent, you're kind on your own.

maxi_bon

HSC
anyone tried to do concurrent degrees at different unis? (from what i gather, you're talking about concurrent degrees just at mac) but i know other people including myself who are studying two degrees at two different unis. . just interested to see if theres anyone else in the same boat??

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
That sounds interesting. How in the world did you manage that? Do you do one as a normal HECs or fee place and do the other via correspondence such as OLA or UNE? Or do you do it someother way?

^___^
HSC
is that possible?
cos i thought you are only allowed to undertake your studies in only one tertiary institute at a time (err, does tafe considers as a tertiary institute? cos i am thinking of taking tafe during my uni degree as well)

maxi_bon

HSC
im at usyd full time and mac part time. both courses are under HECS. im suprised how well its worked out for me. i expected timetabling to be the biggest issue but its turned out perfect so i have 4 days at USYD and one day at mac. i do most of the lectures online so i only need to go to mac for tutes.
i figure when i finish my USYD full time degree ill just spend a year full time completing the one at mac.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)