A quick guide to MQ Politics (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Alright, after trawling through and having to read and critically analyse these today, I thought people might want to have a read of them as well.

Steven Schwartz vs Di Yerbury:

Part 1
Part 2

Appendix:

Deloitte Executive Summary
Schwartz's Lawyers and their Letter to Yerbury after the seizing of her documents
Yerbury to Chancellor
A second letter to Chancellor 'thanking' and offering a possible 'non legal' resolution
Schwartz to Internal Auditors
Di Yerbury Bonus Claim Part 1
Di Yerbury Bonus Claim Part 2

Victor Ma

Part 1

Quite a good read for those interested in a 'fuller' picture of things, and I'll see whether I can post more of what I find later on, depending on how I go with this PR assignment.

My favourite line has got to be:

Deloittes 2005-2005 audit also questioned the governance of MUSC and asked Mr Ma this year to confirm that his wife -- paid $76,555 as a full-time MUSC staffer -- "does not hold paid employment elsewhere."

MUSC advertised in January 2004 for a manager with "a substantial financial background", Mr Warfield said.

Of three candidates, one did not turn up, the second "did not meet the requirement of being able to speak Cantonese and Mandarin" and the third was Ms Kwai, MUSC minutes said.
from one of the articles.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
props to mike! this is a great collection

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
asians are running macqu

ALLLICE

HSC
Of three candidates, one did not turn up, the second "did not meet the requirement of being able to speak Cantonese and Mandarin" and the third was Ms Kwai, MUSC minutes said.
You needed to be able to speak Chinese to work there?? =/

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thanks for them! i can't wait until i have time to read them

nikmueller

HSC
amazing :eek: unbelievable

thanks for posting that info

i met the girl who didn't get the job because she couldn't speak the languages. she was really pissed off.

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Veema's wife has no accounting/finance experience and she did nothing for her 70+grand p.a. That's the word from an inside source.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In July 2004, the university called in Mr Warfield, who criticised financial management at MUSC
and the employment of Mr Ma's wife, Wendy Kwai, as a senior manager (HR and finance
administration) earning $67,153, despite her lack of any accounting qualifications.
Deloittes 2005-2005 audit also questioned the governance of MUSC and asked Mr Ma this year to
confirm that his wife -- paid $76,555 as a full-time MUSC staffer -- "does not hold paid
employment elsewhere."
Was in the same article I pulled the first quote from

gazza7

HSC
N/A
Asylum: Where did you get these documents from?

The articles I can see are from factiva but how did you get the Deloitte report and the letters?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I ninja'd them.

Nah, if you read the articles, they were given out by the (at the time) FoI officer, Lachlan Morgan, after an FoI request was put in by the SMH on the 30 Nov 2006. These were released to them (box with 450 documents initially and more came as they were discovered) on the 7 Feb 2007.

And the reasons why, well thats what I'm struggling to do and the point of my essay atm.

Phanatic

HSC
Awwww, that takes me back. I starred in a few of 'em!

What everyone really wants to see is the Uni audit of MUSC and SAM that sparked all of this. I hope that gets released through FOI.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, actually I believe the two to be somewhat separate of each other, but I'm open to enlightenment :)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Email from MQ said:
...The Board of U@MQ is currently being established as a legal entity. It will comprise:

Mr Paul Bowler, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer (Chair)
Dr Brian Spencer, Registrar and Vice-Principal
Ms Deidre Anderson, CEO of MUSR
Mr Anthony Matis, CEO of SAM
Mr Michael Wall, District Registrar, NSW Registrar of the Federal Court of Australia (external member)
Ms Denise Osmand, Director, Financial Services (Council appointee)
Mr Robert Tongue, Deputy Director, Financial Services (Council appointee)
Mr Nicholas Mueller, student member of the University Council.
(My emphasis)

Congrats, Nik!!
(Edit: Excuse the spelling, Nik!)

Last edited:

nikmueller

HSC
thanks for the support peoples. i do feel like i've jumped in the deep end. maybe one day i'll star in one of those reports too. unless it is the environmental section, i hope not =) (anyone know any good student corporations lawyers?)

what do you think of U@MQ? do we need a new src body? i have my own views obviously, but what do ya think?

also, meeting in the grassy courtyard near the entrance to the library and C5C tomorrow (thurs 7th june) at 12pm.

do it.

peace
nik

HSC
N/A
oooh

I might actually be around, seeing that I have an essay due tuesday and have very brilliantly decided to go to that place with the books for some research material tomorrow morning...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nikmueller said:
thanks for the support peoples. i do feel like i've jumped in the deep end. maybe one day i'll star in one of those reports too. unless it is the environmental section, i hope not =) (anyone know any good student corporations lawyers?)

what do you think of U@MQ? do we need a new src body? i have my own views obviously, but what do ya think?

also, meeting in the grassy courtyard near the entrance to the library and C5C tomorrow (thurs 7th june) at 12pm.

do it.

peace
nik
The last one didn't work, and prior to that Uni Student politics wasn't working either, mainly because the structure and the constitution (as we found out) wasn't air tight. I seriously hope that this WILL lead to a structure which will become quite accountable AND transparent, and eventually in the future, it'll become viable to transfer control back to the students.

But seriously, the factions at uni are just ridiculous, and the fact that you could manipulate them like that is just awful.

People might not like the new VC and his strategies, but fuck after spending the better part of the past week reading up on him since his murdoch/brunel days, I've got to say I'm impressed and he's a champ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)