A word of inspiration for 2U students who aren't doing so well (1 Viewer)

Letters

Banned
HSC
My brother, who completed his HSC last year was really pretty rubbish at maths. He consistently received marks which were both fails and below average. Also, he pretty much went the same for his externals, and ended up with a final HSC mark of 76.

So yeah, don't feel too bad if you aren't doing as well as you'd hoped. 2U does scale pretty well.

For me, this fact comforts me A LOT because I'm quite the rubbish at maths. :lol:

danz90

HSC
95% of my errors in exams are silly errors (either i've subbed in wrong value, put a plus instead of minus, forget to make two minuses a plus... or use the wrong formula LOL). If i can really improve on not making these stupid mistakes in the HSC exam, then I **should** lol stress SHOULD, be able to get band 6.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
danz90 said:
95% of my errors in exams are silly errors (either i've subbed in wrong value, put a plus instead of minus, forget to make two minuses a plus... or use the wrong formula LOL). If i can really improve on not making these stupid mistakes in the HSC exam, then I **should** lol stress SHOULD, be able to get band 6.
then u just practise more.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Letters said:
My brother, who completed his HSC last year was really pretty rubbish at maths. He consistently received marks which were both fails and below average. Also, he pretty much went the same for his externals, and ended up with a final HSC mark of 76.

So yeah, don't feel too bad if you aren't doing as well as you'd hoped. 2U does scale pretty well.

For me, this fact comforts me A LOT because I'm quite the rubbish at maths. :lol:
If only it was a good mark in terms of percentile, it would have motivated me.

decypher

HSC
danz90 said:
Using the wrong formula is not a silly mistake. It shows a lack of understanding of the concept involved.

shakky15

HSC
decypher said:
Using the wrong formula is not a silly mistake. It shows a lack of understanding of the concept involved.
rofl.. and so is subbing in a wrong value

i often lose marks coz i dont put the plus/minus sign when taking the square root of a number, and forgetting to add " + C" when integrating... i think those are more like 'silly mistakes' lol..

shakky15

HSC
Letters said:

if he failed both internally and externally, then theres no way he could have finished with a 76... unless the rest of the students in his school absolutely gunned the hsc pushing up the moderated mark

and fyi, scaling is a process UAC administers when calculating the UAI. Its not even disclosed to students what their scaled mark was... the 76 you talk about, if it happened would have been as a result of moderation

besides, considering the type of poster you are, i dismiss you're posts as wrong most of the time anyway. You remind me of the poster jordankuai22

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lol
@OP: even if that story is true totally, it doesn't mean that ur gonna do well just because one person screwed up their internals and did well in the HSC along with all their classmates.
for all i know, i cud gun all ur internals and screw up the HSC exam, so i dont see how that in anyway is comforting.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
thank you adam.

makes me feel like there is hope out there for my constant failure in 2u. :shy:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
lol '76'. horrible mark.
Agreed. Mark of 76 looks good but to get that you only need to be top 50% of the candidatureto get that. So basically 1 in 2 people get that mark or over that.

It really isn't that good.

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Agreed. Mark of 76 looks good but to get that you only need to be top 50% of the candidatureto get that. So basically 1 in 2 people get that mark or over that.

It really isn't that good.
it might be good for some people , obviously not for u though

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
it might be good for some people , obviously not for u though
76 is just average. It is the median result. I don't think many people will interpret that as "high".

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
lyounamu said:
76 is just average. It is the median result. I don't think many people will interpret that as "high".
the OP never said it was a high mark. but it is a relatively high mark considering the guy supposedly failed his internals and external exam.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
The day before we get our UAI, dont we get our actual exam results. Now are those results the scaled ones i.e we dont really know what we got in the exam because the results given to us are after scaling?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
poisonives said:
the OP never said it was a high mark. but it is a relatively high mark considering the guy supposedly failed his internals and external exam.
I wasn't directing my post to OP, I was replying to someone who quoted me.

And my earlier post was directed at OP saying that his post is not much relevant because different schools have different exams and 76/100 in maths is a median result = 65/120 mark

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:
The day before we get our UAI, dont we get our actual exam results. Now are those results the scaled ones i.e we dont really know what we got in the exam because the results given to us are after scaling?
The day before, you get HSC results that show your ALIGNED MARKS.

And no, the results shown are NOT the scaled marks. They are aligned marks and they never show you your raw marks.

Last edited:

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Thanks so they are the scaled marks.

HOw come my chem teacher was telling my class, people who do the soft subjects they get really good on the HSC results but when the UAI comes out its really crap.

Or maybe I misunderstood him as saying the marks before scaling are good then they drop?

By aligned you mean scaled?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:
Thanks so they are the scaled marks.

HOw come my chem teacher was telling my class, people who do the soft subjects they get really good on the HSC results but when the UAI comes out its really crap.

Or maybe I misunderstood him as saying the marks before scaling are good then they drop?
Sorry, that's a typo. It's NOT a scaled mark. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)