AAAAGGH - Turn off Your Torrent Client on Campus! (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
We get free access to the intranet, so the library catalogue and MyCSU but Google and stuff must be paid for... Pretty cheap though, or they're useless at adding charges to my account. 12 months later, a few hundred gig and I've only used $7 :s

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Upfront – I’m both a student and staff member - but not in Central IT (guess we start where's Wally now). :p.
Hey dude, put simply, i dont have a problem with them tracking down torrenters who are downloading illegal files. However, there are 2 issues.

1. They have to prove that the files are illegal, otherwise they should fine people for just downloading too much. The IT at my uni casually sends out emails warning people about downloading too much. Bittorrent does not always mean illegal files.
2. The fact that IT decided to troll a webpage to scare uni kids into not torrenting is very lame. All they have to do is send out a generic email/or post on the it website that they will be now clamping down on torrenters using the uni's net.

I'm hoping the it troll comes back and reads this page, because he is a massive retard.
Anyway, welcome to BOS :)

Eels

HSC
N/A
1. They have to prove that the files are illegal, otherwise they should fine people for just downloading too much. The IT at my uni casually sends out emails warning people about downloading too much. Bittorrent does not always mean illegal files.
2. The fact that IT decided to troll a webpage to scare uni kids into not torrenting is very lame. All they have to do is send out a generic email/or post on the it website that they will be now clamping down on torrenters using the uni's net.

Couple of corrections big man - as far as I understand they are fined for breaches of copyright with proof - not downloads. Second - I don't give a rats rear end if people are stupid enough to be caught and be fined, what I don't want is to lose free wireless.

And not trolling tosser - I am also a student and maybe, just maybe was also BoS. I am sure you will have a witty reply ready.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Eels, i dont think he was talking to you, rather, the OP, "geek girl". you already mentioned that you were not from unsw IT.

SertseSW

HSC
Support the system that supports you. :)

hate those people who screw up our connection...

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
And not trolling tosser - I am also a student and maybe, just maybe was also BoS. I am sure you will have a witty reply ready.
nice one retard, don't think i already knew that? notice how i quoted this in my post:
Upfront – I’m both a student and staff member - but not in Central IT (guess we start where's Wally now). :p.
now go re-red "wrong_turn"'s post. Hint: its the one after yours

Uncle

Banned
HSC

AHAAAAA!

FOUND YOU!

geek chick

its confirmed, a unsw staff member!
with a bit of searching like i usually do, i found her.
also, go to Level 2 at the Red Centre, geekchick has a flyer too.
apparently she offers tutoring in MATH2019, the easiest course ever.

btw, everyone not in UNSW, fuck off.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A

AHAAAAA!

FOUND YOU!

geek chick

its confirmed, a unsw staff member!
with a bit of searching like i usually do, i found her.
also, go to Level 2 at the Red Centre, geekchick has a flyer too.
apparently she offers tutoring in MATH2019, the easiest course ever.

btw, everyone not in UNSW, fuck off.

Nice investigative skills there Uncle.

_santa

HSC
LOL lamest brand name ever. Also, the price *gasp* is rape.

anyway good investigation skills. You should go see her.....

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Question is now though, why would she bother creating an account on BOS and making one retarded post when she just tutors a MATH subject and isnt (or she may be...) a part of UNSW IT?

NetworkGod

HSC
I work for IT at UNSW.

Every student is required to agree to UNSW's "Acceptable Use Policy" before they are able to access the UNSW network. It's pretty clear that Copyright Infringement is not tolerated[1].

We get ~10 copyright infringement notices every week and, frankly, they are a pain in the arse. If you are dumb enough to abuse the free wireless service then you deserve everything you get, including the fine.

[1] IT at UNSW - UNSW IT Policies & Guidelines

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I work for IT at UNSW.

Every student is required to agree to UNSW's "Acceptable Use Policy" before they are able to access the UNSW network. It's pretty clear that Copyright Infringement is not tolerated[1].

We get ~10 copyright infringement notices every week and, frankly, they are a pain in the arse. If you are dumb enough to abuse the free wireless service then you deserve everything you get, including the fine.

[1] IT at UNSW - UNSW IT Policies & Guidelines
There can't be that many unsw students on this forum for UNSW IT guys to make accounts here and give us the standard warning to not download stuff?

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Upfront – I’m both a student and staff member - but not in Central IT (guess we start where's Wally now). :p

Uni is cracking down because they provide a free service and some individuals can't play by the rules. Check out what iiNet is going through at the moment and see why the Uni doesn't want anything to do with it. I know a heap of students have been fined and blocked from access. And yes the fine is $480 and if you are caught, you generally wear the fine. Do the crime - pay the time.No big deal - not really except you can’t enroll next semester or graduate till you pay it. Plus you are blocked from the Wireless. Ask Geekgirl about this!
The fine is entirely arbitrary. It does not go towards anything and it is borderline extortionate. There is no realistic evidence presented that individual x pirated file y except that information provided by a third party copyright body that has an incredibly bleak and spurious track record regarding accuracy.

I'm fairly certain and maybe it's just me, that our entire... ENTIRE legal system is based on the presumption of innocence?

What kind of a pathetic program is it when the University isn't willing to stand up against corporate bodies trying to extort their students?

Anyone with half a brain could challenge this fine and have it overturned.

I implore every single one of you who knows of anything regarding these fines to kick up a massive stink regarding them. Cost the university so much in time and effort that it becomes financially non-viable for them to continue levying these fines based on frequently-incorrect accusations from industry bodies.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Given the amount of spare time possessed by these UNSW IT guys, I think I've realised why they don't even have the testicular fortitude to properly vet evidence presented to them.

Maybe if you took the time out of your day to realise you're effectively extorting people who cannot afford it based on evidence from a source with an axe to grind you might actually do your fucking jobs.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Rapidshare et al seem to work just fine.

For Usenet use SSL.

HSC
lol hay guyth, i got a $480 fine cuz i dudnt go to a letcure

go 2 ur letures

_santa

HSC
quick question, will encrypting your torrent connection help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)