Abolish welfare payments to young people (1 Viewer)

hscishard

HSC
If I come into your house tonight, take the food off your plate, and the money out of your wallet, can I rightly call you selfish when you try to stop me? If I have a physical disability, am I entitled to rob you?

This is exactly what the government does when it takes for welfare.
Your view is bias.

Can't you see these people are in need? We support them. Is this a bad thing? Wth no. This is more like charity.
What you're saying is,"Why don't all the mentally retarded/disabled get employed and earn their own money". Think! Can they get employed? Won't they be refused?

This is only for disabled people.
For those people who claim welfare illegally, they are cheats.

bazrah

HSC
cripples and the mentally retarded and people with long term illnesses dont benefit society so why should we provide for them
Who thought Nazis were a thing of the past? We've got our own little Nazi crew going on right here.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Your view is bias.

Can't you see these people are in need? We support them. Is this a bad thing? Wth no. This is more like charity.
Charity is where capital is willingly given away. Charity is great.

However the government, through taxation, extracts money by threat of violence. This is more like a mugging.

It's always bad to violently force a person of sound mind to do anything against their will, such as paying taxation.

What you're saying is,"Why don't all the mentally retarded/disabled get employed and earn their own money". Think! Can they get employed? Won't they be refused?
You're being awfully patronizing to the disabled in terms of potential to gain employment. It's illegal to refuse employment to someone on the grounds of disability without good cause.

I wasn't saying that at all in any case. The severely disabled deserve support by voluntary contribution. But not by theft.

hscishard

HSC
Charity is where capital is willingly given away. Charity is great.

However the government, through taxation, extracts money by threat of violence. This is more like a mugging.

It's always bad to violently force a person of sound mind to do anything against their will, such as paying taxation.

You're being awfully patronizing to the disabled in terms of potential to gain employment. It's illegal to refuse employment to someone on the grounds of disability without good cause.

I wasn't saying that at all in any case. The severely disabled deserve support by voluntary contribution. But not by theft.
Yea but why did the get violated? Because some people can't support themselves. They want justice too you know.

Paying tax in general or letting the tax go to the disabled? Tax benefits Australia in general, and that includes the disabled.

Yeahh uhh dude. How many mentally retarded/disabled people are working anyway? I doubt more than half are employed here in Australia. It's unsafe for them.

Wow dude...if disabled people were supported by donations, I doubt they would be able to survive. Think about it. How much money do people donate for cancer and for the disadvantaged people in developing countries? Is this enough to support all the metally and physically disabled? Doubt it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing is, taxation is very high in Australia compared to other countries... yet there is insufficient scrutiny over the way it is distributed and who receives the benefits. I don't think the majority of people have problem with disability benefits (even though they very well could have taken out Life/Disability insurance) but rather, it's those who get something for doing absolutely nothing. As a taxpayer contributing more than a couple of people's welfare payments, I don't deny the benefits of taxation and how government spending has helped me in my prosperity as well as the importance of welfare but I don't like seeing money get wasted. If I can be thrifty by working hard and spending less (irony considering I just posted in my what did I just buy thread on BoS!), why can't everyone else? It's as if the taxation system almost rewards people for being lazy and impulsive either by not getting a job and getting welfare, or by spending every cent and hence being taxed less than someone who were to save their money and be worse off in the future.

ps. Despite all the above, Abbott's plan was stupid.

murphyad

HSC
The thing is [...]
The welfare system is problematic because institutional apathy and red tape can create dependency in a lot of people. That being said I think it's dangerous to make generalisations about those who receive welfare.

But yes Abbott's idea is stupid as usual.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
* Of 16 OECD nations surveyed, Australia spent less on social security payments in proportion to Gross Domestic Product than all countries except Japan, Ireland and the US.

* The proportion of people relying on social security payments in Australia is fourth lowest of 16 OECD countries - ahead only of the US, Japan and Spain (which have harsh systems with no ongoing entitlement to payments for long-term unemployed people) and New Zealand.

* Of 18 OECD countries surveyed, the average level of payment for an unemployed Australian was third lowest (a maximum of $242 per week). Only the US and Italy have lower rates.

Facts

'Welfare dependency': facts and fiction | Australian Policy Online

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
* Of 16 OECD nations surveyed, Australia spent less on social security payments in proportion to Gross Domestic Product than all countries except Japan, Ireland and the US.

* The proportion of people relying on social security payments in Australia is fourth lowest of 16 OECD countries - ahead only of the US, Japan and Spain (which have harsh systems with no ongoing entitlement to payments for long-term unemployed people) and New Zealand.

* Of 18 OECD countries surveyed, the average level of payment for an unemployed Australian was third lowest (a maximum of $242 per week). Only the US and Italy have lower rates.

Facts

'Welfare dependency': facts and fiction | Australian Policy Online
You do realise that whilst those stats may be true, you also need to consider the size of GDP varies, the number of unemployed varies, the length of time which welfare payments is made varies, etc..

Maybe I am just a disgruntled taxpayer because I am paying nearly half of every dollar I earn every few months and I know it doesn't all go towards useful or remotely useful purposes (e.g. hoarding by the different levels of government).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)