• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Aboriginal children in care now exceeds stolen generations (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I say take a leaf out of South Africa's book and put some gates up. Gated communities ftw. Just dont stop at the traffic lights.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Katie: They are overpresented in gaols because they don't understand the white fellas law. Who would have thought it was illegal to rape women and children?

HSC
i dont know

there are good backs, and there are lazy blacks

like there are good whites, and there are lazy whites

just

i can work my arse off, and not get a cent off the government....

thats racist

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
the-intercepter said:
i dont know

there are good backs, and there are lazy blacks

like there are good whites, and there are lazy whites

just

i can work my arse off, and not get a cent off the government....

thats racist
Yeah totally.

Whut?

RSVPixie

HSC
N/A
Ok people. This argument is interesting in the way that sickens people because of peoples lack of understanding and downright stupidity at times. It makes me upset and angry when people are so ignorant and try to qualify one group of people as undeserving of help; especially when they need it to survive.

I myself am part aboriginal, about 1/4, and i am currently studying Chemistry, Physics, English Advanced and Legal Studies, as well as Drama, and getting top marks in all of them. There is certainly nothing wrong with me, i am perfectly aware of my actions and their ramifications. I am definitely not stupid or mindless. I also [surprise, surprise!] happen to be 100% a human being.

Aboriginals are not a separate race; there is only one race; the human race. And as opposed to what some of you seem to think, aboriginals are human beings. It is true that they are underprivileged in ways that the majority of the population don't understand. If you are brought up in an environment that is in many cases worse than many of Africa's third world countries, its going to be hard to get anywhere, and i also believe that they have been put in this situation over the gradual course of history, especially that of the white settlement of Australia.

As for those who say that the aboriginals killed "white ppl" too, yes that is correct, but a) it was in retaliation, not aggression, and b) the scale of destruction wrought on the aboriginals was so much more devastating. You do realise that there have not been ANY Tasmanian Aboriginals for decades and decades because they were all slaughtered- not just the men were massacred; the women and children were, too- because they were considered a pest? Don't even try to tell me that can be justified, or that it doesn't affect anyone today.

Another thing to consider in terms of the law is that Australian law [supposedly] reflects the values of Australian society. Now for some history: Aboriginals were only counted as PEOPLE on the Australian census after the '67 referendum. That was only about 40 years ago. Beforehand they were merely counted as animals; irrelevant to Australian society, and definitely not citizens. So the effects of the European settlement in Australia are still very recent, and continue on to this day.

The average life expectancy of an aboriginal is about 54 years old. This is because of the situation OUR ANCESTORS and our government in the past 50 years have put them in! It is not ancient history, completely in the past, as some of you seem to think. As mentioned above, the aboriginal community mostly live in poverty, and don't have any hope of going anywhere due to the attitude of people like some of you, like Pauline Hanson. Because she is exactly who some of you remind me of.

Her party, One Nation, is pushing for the anti-gun legislation to be scrapped. Also, for all aboriginal benefits to be scrapped. One Nation also believes that Global Warming doesn't exist. The points you are making about the aboriginal benefits were almost her exact arguments. If you want to be on the same level as her narrow-minded political party, go ahead, but expect me to be vehemently against your views- and the views of any sensible person.

If you take away their funding do you think they will fare better? Our government just doesn't know how to approach the situation. That is all. Are there any education programs in place? No. Does the government give recommendations for how to spend their money? No. Do they have access to essential government organisations to get help with money if they need it? No.

So please stop blaming them. They, just like anyone else in the HUMAN race can be anything they want. The reason for the situation the original article describes? Poor judgement by the government and society, ignorance, and little public knowledge of the extent of the hardship they actually face, as well as ingrained social attitudes present in the community they grow up in. Essentially, the Europeans have taught the aboriginals that they are worthless, and if you had someone telling you your whole life that you were worthless, you would eventually believe them. This is a lot more than "savages" that cant look after their children. There are a billion other things to consider. You can't blame only one thing or another, and you should really truly understand the WHOLE issue, not just a newspaper article, to be able to comment. After all, no ones perfect. Especially after generations of being discriminated against, downtrodden and practically spat on by the whole of the rest of society. You'd probably be messed up too.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
lol fucking nuts to that, i read the bit about
I myself am part aboriginal, about 1/4, and i am currently studying Chemistry, Physics, English Advanced and Legal Studies, as well as Drama, and getting top marks in all of them.
and thought who gives a flying fuck

hpdanemma

HSC
katie tully said:
lol fucking nuts to that, i read the bit about and thought who gives a flying fuck
Hmm if you're going to have such intense opinions you should be happy to listen to others. She's able to make a detailed and convincing argument, and obviously knows what she's talking about. If you're going to make accusatory comments about a racial group you could atleast have the sense to look at anothers perspective and think MAYBE things aren't so black and white [no pun intended :p].

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
hpdanemma said:
Hmm if you're going to have such intense opinions you should be happy to listen to others. She's able to make a detailed and convincing argument, and obviously knows what she's talking about. If you're going to make accusatory comments about a racial group you could atleast have the sense to look at anothers perspective and think MAYBE things aren't so black and white [no pun intended :p].
no she hasn't

she's 1/4 aboriginal. that doesn't even count. there's 3/4 of other nationality compensating for the rest of it.

i know chinese immigrants with limited english who did harder subjects than that and did well, who gives a shit what subjects she does, it doesnt prove anything

get out troll

X

xeuyrawp

hpdanemma said:
Okay, so after your post, I gave hers a go.

I got up to:

Aboriginals are not a separate race; there is only one race; the human race.
1. Lame slogan much? I believe it was used by the African-American movement.
2. "Aboriginal" is the adjective. Most Aborigines would know that.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Basically I just want somebody to admit that maybe Aboriginals are doing a shit job and maybe it's time to start taking responsibility for their own choices. None of this 'well blah blah you massacred us 150 years ago'.

I don't need to read her fucking essay because I work with Aboriginal Health workers and they all say the exact same thing. That and I live in a rural area full of them and I'm sick of them doing shit and getting away with it because they play the victim card.

Stop acting like victims and start taking responsibility.

hpdanemma

HSC
hahaha um I wasn't saying listen to her cause she 1/4 Aboriginal I was saying maybe listen to other peoples opinions and instead of focusing on being so damn defensive and trying to make everyone agree with you [because no matter how hard anyone tries, it just won't happen], maybe you should be a tiny bit open minded and aknowledge that your experiences with the Aboriginal community don't immediately mean you know more about the subject. What you have experienced, however thorough you may feel it to be, is just an experience and you have only seen a tiny representation of the Aboriginal community.

"get out troll"
....Right.

I think I'll stay :)

hpdanemma

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Okay, so after your post, I gave hers a go.

I got up to:

1. Lame slogan much? I believe it was used by the African-American movement.
2. "Aboriginal" is the adjective. Most Aborigines would know that.
You're going to dismiss her arguments because she used a "lame slogan" and made a grammatical error?

For some reason I think you may have missed the message she was trying to get across.

hpdanemma

HSC
Aww thanks for opening my eyes as to how much of a shit troll I am :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
there was no message she was trying to get across

she tried to use some baseless thing about her HSC subjects to prove that not all aboriginals are useless, when infact she is only 1/4 aboriginal

stuffed if i know what the rest of that shit was about

RSVPixie

HSC
N/A
Ok. God, i love you people! So ready to broaden your minds to the possibilities!!

1. Yes i know i used a quote from the African-American movement; does that really matter if i agree with it??

2. I know some people have that opinion [ the health workers you work with] and they are entitled to their opinion. I have simply presented mine. p.s. no need to swear.

3. If i call myself an aboriginal, you understand what i mean, and personally, i consider it offensive to be called an "aborigine". "Aboriginal" is an adjectve and a noun.

4. You know nothing about me, please don't make assumptions when you have no idea. I am of aboriginal ancestry, and i don't care whether or not you believe me because i know its true, and it demonstrates my point.

5. My point about my subjects was not to say that i am incredible, to brag or to place myself in any "higher than you" category. It was merely to demonstrate the point that i am an average person, like everyone else, regardless of my ancestry.

6. It is quite rude to attack someone for having an opinion. And i have European and Aboriginal in me, so i both consider myself responsible as well as feel affected by our history. I believe someone earlier in the thread said something about it not being "them and us". This is my main point; we are all the same people; Australians.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
RSVPixie said:
As mentioned above, the aboriginal community mostly live in poverty, and don't have any hope of going anywhere due to the attitude of people like some of you, like Pauline Hanson. Because she is exactly who some of you remind me of.

Her party, One Nation, is pushing for the anti-gun legislation to be scrapped. Also, for all aboriginal benefits to be scrapped. One Nation also believes that Global Warming doesn't exist. The points you are making about the aboriginal benefits were almost her exact arguments. If you want to be on the same level as her narrow-minded political party, go ahead, but expect me to be vehemently against your views- and the views of any sensible person.
Yeah I couldn't really read that whole wall of text, but I noticed this bit.

I thought I should point out that One Nation is no longer a significant political force, they polled like 0.3% at the last federal election, and Pauline Hanson is long disgraced from the party, and has nothing to do with it.

Welcome to 2001?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)