Aboriginal Intervention, 2 Years On (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I personally* think the intervention is a good policy. Whilst I agree with the point which Freedom raises around Government coercion it is not politically realistic to do nothing - so we work within the confines of the system we have. The situation before the intervention was atrocious and the polices in place had clearly failed, this demanded a new approach. Was it the right approach? It is certainly better than what we were doing before.

Long-term I personally* think that we need to reevaluate how we deal with remote populations:
  • As kt said we can never have the same level of medical care available in remote Australia as we do in cities. Therefore the health outcomes will never be as good. Incidentally this applies equally to Indigenous populations and farmers.
  • A similar situation to the above applies to education.
  • Remote communities do not have an economy to speak of. We send welfare money in which flows straight out again to pay for food and other goods which can not be produced locally.
  • Unless a mine opens there will never be real jobs in remote communities.

For decades now we have been paying a variety of welfare into remote communities, while we have begun to move away from the 'sit-down-money' of CDEP even if we apply mutual obligation and jobsearch requirements to welfare there are simply no jobs there.

Welfare is having a massive adverse effect on these communities as we are seeing and to what benefit? It assuages our middle-class guilt by giving the perception that we are supporting their traditional way of life, yay for cultural relativism. Their traditional way of life however is irreconcilable with modern health, education and other outcomes. Look at the history of civilisation, culture has changed and evolved in step with progress. Even more importantly populations have migrated from where the conditions were unfavourable to where they were favourable.

By continuing to pay welfare to these communities we are essentially stifling progress by removing any impetus for change. I think we need to present remote communities with a choice: stay and live a traditional life - without welfare, or move to our towns and cities - which we will assist you with. Basically remove the encouragement to stay and reduce the barriers to leaving.

The ones who stay we leave to their own devices. But in towns and cities we could dramatically lift health, education and employment outcomes within a gerneration - simply because they would now be close to hospitals, schools and jobs.

This isn't a choice which could be delivered overnight but would have to occur over time, welfare could be progressively reduced and programs which supported moving to towns and cities introduced. Pleasingly the latter has already begun.

*I have had professional involvement with the intervention and emphasise that my views do not necessarily reflect those of the Government, the Departments involved or other public servants.

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
*I have had professional involvement with the intervention and emphasise that my views do not necessarily reflect those of the Government, the Departments involved or other public servants.
oh im glad you mentioned that mang, cuz i was just about to write a letter to the authorities, stating my disapproval of what they just posted.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
some abo kids were startin shit so i threw 5c and them and told them to get something nice then they were about to fuck with my shit so i drove up onto the footpath at them

the intervention should be continued and all abos, not just remote nt ones, should be affected

C

copkiller

I only support Israel because Terrorists are CUNTS. You falsely think the enemy of your enemy is your friend, Chico.
The real question; is do you support the US military backing of Israel?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Srsly abo's should go fuck themselves.

"Help us help us!"

*we try to help them*

"Fuck off! Stolen generation! Racist cunts!"

Let them die out, we're better off given the way they act.

murphyad

HSC
No, only shit lefties "like" abos.
You are both divisive and stupid.

It's not a question of 'liking' them, its a question of respect, tolerance and human compassion. Though that is clearly too much for the few ganglia occupying the otherwise-empty space in your head to fathom.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You are both divisive and stupid.

It's not a question of 'liking' them, its a question of respect, tolerance and human compassion. Though that is clearly too much for the few ganglia occupying the otherwise-empty space in your head to fathom.
are u an abo

C

copkiller

It's not a question of 'liking' them, its a question of respect, tolerance and human compassion. .
It seems contradictory to simultaneously respect them, yet at the same time give them extra welfare and intervene in their private lives as though to suggest they are incapable of looking after themselves.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
It seems contradictory to simultaneously respect them, yet at the same time give them extra welfare and intervene in their private lives as though to suggest they are incapable of looking after themselves.
respect that they as a race have been treated disgustingly, their culture has almost been wiped out and a generation lost and that as a result of this disgusting treatment, yes there are problems, yes they need help and yes they are citizens and land owners of this country and we should play a role in this rehabilitation.

this help should not come in the form of exaggerated and fabricate stories of child abuse in order to roll out the military to no effect.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
A huge group of aboriginals were blocking the path walking really slow on the way to Redfern station the other day, swearing their heads off and yelling at people.

I was walking behind a pair of them, and the woman told the guy that she was planning to kill her mother soon, that she'd come up with some excuse for doing it. The guy told her just to tell nobody, particularly the police, anything.

Lol.

C

copkiller

respect that they as a race have been treated disgustingly, their culture has almost been wiped out and a generation lost and that as a result of this disgusting treatment, yes there are problems, yes they need help and yes they are citizens and land owners of this country and we should play a role in this rehabilitation.
They can't all be lumped together like this. Plenty of people who are partly aboriginal and claim benefits have suffered no such treatment.

Similarly, lots of people have a very tough life despite not being aboriginal. Why make the distinction based on race?

I don't support welfare at all, but to the extent that it exists, it should be based on who needs it most, not race.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
They can't all be lumped together like this. Plenty of people who are partly aboriginal and claim benefits have suffered no such treatment.

Similarly, lots of people have a very tough life despite not being aboriginal. Why make the distinction based on race?

I don't support welfare at all, but to the extent that it exists, it should be based on who needs it most, not race.
i agree there are probably some aboriginals that are well off and taking welfare, but the majority, as reflected in statistics have a life expectancy well below that of the average australia and many other problems. so as a race, they have been lumped together due to the overwhelming disadvantaged majority. i'm not sure if welfare is the way to handle the situation, but the intervention definitely was not.

C

copkiller

i agree there are probably some aboriginals that are well off and taking welfare, but the majority, as reflected in statistics have a life expectancy well below that of the average australia and many other problems. so as a race, they have been lumped together due to the overwhelming disadvantaged majority. i'm not sure if welfare is the way to handle the situation, but the intervention definitely was not.
Well I agree the intervention was a terrible idea. But you need to realize that welfare is a form of intervention too, and ultimately it is a major contributing factor to the problems aboriginals face.

Most of these remote settlements where child abuse is prevalent only exist because of welfare. Without it these settlements would be unsustainable and people would be forced to move to urban areas where better education and healthcare is available for their children.

Welfare creates a culture where aboriginals feel like victims, and never get the self esteem and skills that come from working to provide for themselves.

If you didn't work, lived in a remote area, and had unlimited free time to kill, you'd probably turn to drugs and sniffing solvents to.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Well I agree the intervention was a terrible idea. But you need to realize that welfare is a form of intervention too, and ultimately it is a major contributing factor to the problems aboriginals face.

Most of these remote settlements where child abuse is prevalent only exist because of welfare. It creates a culture where aboriginals feel like victims, and never get the self esteem and skills that come from working to provide for themselves.

If you didn't work, lived in a remote area, and had unlimited free time to kill, you'd probably turn to drugs and sniffing solvents to.
different topic, but have you read a book called 'dead aid' about charity in africa?

C

copkiller

No but I am familiar with the criticism of giving aid to Africa that basically states that much of it is appropriated by warlords who use it to oppress the very people it was intended to help.

Its just one of many reason why I oppose welfare. But mainly because it causes dependence. Its the old “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”

I'm all for charity. For instance if someone has fallen upon hard times, we should help them get back on their feet. But the ultimate goal should be to make them self sufficient again.

In Australia, welfare basically means an entitlement to regular payments for doing nothing. This doesn't help anyone, least of all the welfare recipients.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
No but I am familiar with the criticism of giving aid to Africa that basically states that much of it is appropriated by warlords who use it to oppress the very people it was intended to help.

Its just one of many reason why I oppose welfare. But mainly because it causes dependence. Its the old “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”

I'm all for charity. For instance if someone has fallen upon hard times, we should help them get back on their feet. But the ultimate goal should be to make them self sufficient again.

In Australia, welfare basically means an entitlement to regular payments for doing nothing. This doesn't help anyone, least of all the welfare recipients.
yeah i agree, but i don't totally disagree with all forms of welfare, but i believe the aim of welfare should be whats stated above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)