About human existance (1 Viewer)

U

urbanfashion-au

I just want to debate something and hear what you guys have to say about my theories. Although I am a Catholic, I still have my own opinions I want to express.

Usually catholics are just told what to believe and fed by the church. This not only happens with catholics, but also christians as well.

My first question is. Do humans really have a "soul"? or is it just something people have made up in the sense of fear that there is nothing left for us when we die.

According to evolution, Our earth was a barren land. No life existed. However, there were these rocks called Stalomites (? ) Anyway , these rocks turned the immense CO2 into Oxygen creating our atmosphere as well as bacteria in the sea.

We are born the same way most mammals are born and die. But what really distinguishes us from other animals is that they dont have the intellectual capacity to think further. This is because, as we know evolution took place and their brains did not need to evolve further for survival. Humans have evolved in the brain as well as bone structure. Other animals have evolved in terms of body structure and the ability to adap to environments that are foreign to them.
Take the house pest for example. The cockroach. They can live in very bacteria infected areas and still survive. Their main source of food is the dirtiest garbage, yet they have survived through nuclear bombs ( yes they are immune to nuclear radiation ) and millions of years on earth.
We can refer back to Darwins theory of survival of the fittest. As we know humans are only fit in the chain of all the species on earth as they are the "smartest" well most of us anyway are smarter than all animals :)
So, were we really afraid that there was nothing after our death? If so, did we create a being called "god?" to rely on and "meet" in our afterlife?

2. If there is a place called heaven?
Heaven is often depicted as a place where there are flying angels and everything is jolly, white and merry! There is no evidence saying what "heaven" is like. Only that there are gates to enter it? or something like that I have read somewhere

So for all us Christians, We will die one day and our "soul" will ascend to this place called heaven. Our bodies will be either cremated or buried deep under the soil of our Earth and eventually decay or be eaten by bugs or worms Just like any other animal would die.

We get to heaven and realize that we have to be good "people"
This means no one can actually argue with eachother, get into fights. Where would u go if you want a divorce with your old wife? Will you have to live with her for all of eternity? Eternity seems like a very long time if you compare your time on earth doing all the physical things that you can do..
What if all the women are taken and you died solo! Will you remain solo for the rest of your "soul life" on Heaven?

The answer to my question 2 is that the place called "heaven" is a place beyond our intellectual capacity to imagine or discuss. We just have to accept that there is a place called heaven if you are a true believer of God.

3. Dinosaurs in the bible?
Okay, so we all knew dinosaurs existed way before humans did according to archaeology. We cant mix science with religion. ie. the big bang theory and the creation theory. But what we cant fool ourselves is history!
Yes dinosaurs existed millions of years ago. What killed them? No one knows..
But the main thing is that there is no mention of dinosaurs when god created all these animals on earth. Why is this so? Because Jesus came a lot longer after the first archaeologists found the remains of bones of dinosaurs.
On the first day he did this the next day he did this. Gods "day" is relatively long though..

4. What are we doing on earth?
Have you ever thought, the day you were born, your purpose in life on earth. Why were you born to the family you are with now?
Here we must think of our good old probability and chance. Is our existance of our planet earth by pure fluke? If so we are also probably a fluke in this wide universe.

5. Fate
Fate is a broad topic to cover but i will try to keep it short.
Fate is something many people believe in and destiny. You may think, it exists or doesnt exist but just have a read to what I have to say.

Fate is like destiny. You are destined to do a particular thing or be somebody when you are "older"

Now think that you are destined to do something right after reading this.
You can scratch your head, get a cup of water, do whatever. That is all up to you. It is also destiny.
You were destined to scratch your head right at 1:05: 30seconds.
If these little random events can be classified into fate. Fate is totally random.
I think fate is totally random because we make our own destiny by every little action we take.
Even studying 5 minutes more before your sleep could heavily effect your marks and thus you could be making 500$ more a week because of that.
However, say you were lazy and you didnt study and you came out with a degree from uni with all passes. Would that have been your "fate" to be poorer than Joe next door?

Also another thing to think about is. What about all the poor people on earth. What did they do so wrong to be born in a poor environment? I am talking about real poor people in Africa!
Did god just let them suffer? Does he not care about the poor and dying? The bible always talks about poor and dying. Why cannot god do anything physical to change something on earth?
Maybe make it so theres water and available soil for farming.
We always pray in churches to let the aussie farmers have water so that we can get food to our supermarkets for our own consumption.
Ok so we've prayed and we got rain? No, that is totally out of Gods control.
What defines his control? What can the being "god" do physically ? Here your probably thinking, god does not intervene with human activity but just oversees us as humans and judges us.
But is that a good enough reason from a realistic point of view to let those starve to death. Many children die in Africa everyday because they cannot get a sip of water. It is improving through donations though the rich countries stay rich driving 4WD supercharged Cars consuming a tonne of fuel whilst the poor only get the luxury of a meal a day or less. This inequality is something I hope "god" did not wish for. But it is mainly the geographics of our earth that has made them poor and the lack of resources.
This is why when you look on various sites on eBay or anywhere. It is always the nigerians or africans trying to scam your "hard" earned money . We complain when we do actually get scammed by them and call them bad names. But why do they do that? They also need money. Probably for the most basic needs of survival, food and clothing. While we're bitching about losing 100$, you probably would've fed 100 children with that.

I think the whole notion of donation is a lot more crucial than we think. So next time you can donate to the poor, please do so :)
You will only truely realize the value of life when you are put in their shoes though.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
too long, didn't read

life is meaningless

we're here because matter/energy behaves according to physical laws and experiences 4 fundamental forces that put us together

your thoughts are sodium and potassium ions moving around in response to electrical impulses and concentration gradients

when you die the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen you're made of goes back where it came from

michael1990

HSC
Yes agreed, way to much to read on a weekend.

Well there are too many theories about life and the exsistance.

Who cares?
We are here?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
the main thing is that we exist, so dont worry why we exist. would u rather u didnt existed? thats right! so you just keep on existing!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
too long, didn't read

life is meaningless

we're here because matter/energy behaves according to physical laws and experiences 4 fundamental forces that put us together

your thoughts are sodium and potassium ions moving around in response to electrical impulses and concentration gradients

when you die the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen you're made of goes back where it came from

I cried :(

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
We don't exist, it's all an illusion.
Basic Buddhism thought is nothingless. It basically states that everything is an illusion. Of course there are many variations within different Buddhist schools of thought regarding what this nothingless exactly means, but that's similar to what you wrote up.

Foxodi

HSC
Saying theres no meaning to life is.. depressing.. and I wonder how you can enjoy life thinking this?

To the OP, I agree to many points. I think people dont question their purpose etc enough - people just seem to go with the flow, do what everyone else is doing etc... I just dont see the point in it really. Btw revelations ch 21? I think, is prob the most detailed description of heaven you'll get (from christianity anyway).

And yes, feeding africians I think is prob the easiest/best way to feel you have/achieved a purpose. Even if those people that claim you dont need this purpose etc... It still makes you feel good, and that makes it important.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
urbanfashion-au said:
We get to heaven and realize that we have to be good "people". This means no one can actually argue with each other, get into fights.
I don't think it's correct to say that you have to be good in heaven, which has the implication that it's possible to be bad in heaven. Christian theology generally states that a soul in heaven cannot sin! That raises another question though.
If a soul cannot sin then what happens to freewill.
Or even a more interesting question can be asked if we assume that the problem of freewill can be overlooked, if a soul can live in heaven a sinless existence then why is humanity in a state where suffering is possible, why not just create man in a sinless environment where everything is perfect, and no sin is possible.
Something to think about.

Where would u go if you want a divorce with your old wife? Will you have to live with her for all of eternity? Eternity seems like a very long time if you compare your time on earth doing all the physical things that you can do..
What if all the women are taken and you died solo! Will you remain solo for the rest of your "soul life" on Heaven?
Sounds like you haven't been reading your bible. There is a direct passage dealing with that issue. I cannot remember who but someone asks Jesus what happens if my brother dies, and i marry his wife, who's wife will she be in heaven. The Jesus says something along the lines of, there is no such thing as marriage in heaven.

Last edited:
HSC
Foxodi said:
Saying theres no meaning to life is.. depressing.. and I wonder how you can enjoy life thinking this?
alcohol. sex. rinse, lather, repeat

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
I believe everything that happened after the "Big Bang",

and what Captain Gh3y said.

*Life is not about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
SashatheMan said:
I don't think it's correct to say that you have to be good in heaven, which has the implication that it's possible to be bad in heaven. Christian theology generally states that a soul in heaven cannot sin! That raises another question though.
If a soul cannot sin then what happens to freewill.

The soul is bonded with Christ. Man is redeemed, in God's eyes, from original sin. Evil is defeated.
Hence Christ-ian.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
The soul is bonded with Christ. Man is redeemed, in God's eyes, from original sin. Evil is defeated.
Hence Christ-ian.
I understand that theologically speaking. But it doesn't answer the questions i raised.
Isn't the standard explanation for the reason of sin is that man, was given freewill because God didn't want humanity to be like robots worshiping him. Which resulted in man's disobedience towards God.

I either see a problem of freewill existing in heaven.
Or wonder why couldn't man be bound up by Christ in the first place? Something similar to the heavenly existence where sin is not possible.
This would eliminate the whole problem from the beginning.

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
in reply to question 3..

..after the flood:

Genesis 9:3 (KJV) (i took this from bible gateway..)
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

..i laughed at this when my friend pointed this out, but later found out that some (partial)science believing christians (forgot what they're called) actually believe in this.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
just-a-stranger said:
in reply to question 3..

..i laughed at this when my friend pointed this out, but later found out that some (partial)science believing christians (forgot what they're called) actually believe in this.
fundamentalists?

boris

Banned
HSC
As the OP a troll? Hence the ban? Coz none of their other posts look troll worthy.
*ponders this in relation to God*

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
SashatheMan said:
fundamentalists?
nope.

it's at the tip of my tongue, i'll edit this
and put the answer right here when i remember--> _________

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
just-a-stranger said:
in reply to question 3..

..after the flood:

Genesis 9:3 (KJV) (i took this from bible gateway..)
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

well i heard that some marijuana supporters use this line in support of legalizing their hobby.
I found that funny!

Foxodi

HSC
SashatheMan said:
Or wonder why couldn't man be bound up by Christ in the first place? Something similar to the heavenly existence where sin is not possible.
This would eliminate the whole problem from the beginning.
I believe you answered this yourself

"explanation for the reason of sin is that man, was given freewill because God didn't want humanity to be like robots worshiping him. Which resulted in man's disobedience towards God"

sin = bad = the problems that we have
It is from the free will which the problem came from.. After all, being worshipped by someone you 'programmed' to worship you (ie we had no choice) has no real meaning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)