About the required essay structure for Discovery (1 Viewer)

ngrfgt

HSC
I've got a question about the required essay structure for Discovery. Basically my teacher said that when structuring the essay, it should have two paragraphs for each text - one paragraph for the pre-discovery state of the character in the prescribed text, i.e. explaining how they were prior to the discovery and why discovery was necessary, and then the next paragraph on the process of discovery and how it affected them. This would then be repeated for the related text. However, in the trials, the question we got didn't really suit this structure, because it focused entirely on the effects of discovery, and so I got a shitty mark for that essay.

I've managed to write a decent new paragraph on another character in my prescribed text to cater for such a question in the HSC, but I haven't got one for my related text. There are obviously better ways I could be spending my time than spending hours on writing brand new shit for English, so I'm tossing up between two ideas - running with my current essay structure in the HSC and trying to adapt it better, or doing a three-paragraph essay - two paragraphs on the prescribed text, and one for the related, but in enough detail that it would be as long as a regular essay, if not including more detailed analysis. I'd go with this approach, but I'm assuming it's not ok to write more on the prescribed text than the related text. People's opinions on whether or not this would be ok would be great.

Thanks

sy37

HSC
Hmm, that structure can work for the effects of discovery. What troubled you with it?

ngrfgt

HSC
Well the question was "How can discoveries effect people in different ways" or something like that, so since half my essay talking about how the characters were before the discovery, the teacher said the focus of the essay should have been the effect of the discovery, and instead of focusing on two characters, I should have focused on two from each text.

What do you think? Do you think I should just run with my current one and hope the question suits it? I'm hoping they give us a fairly broad question considering its the first year for discovery, so it would be ok if they did that...

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd recomend this structure for most people

Introduction

Prescribed Text - Idea 1 about Discovery

Related Text - Idea 2 about Discovery

Prescribed Text/Related Text - Idea 3 show similarities

Prescribed Text Idea 4

Conclusion

OR

Introduction

Prescribed Text- Idea 3

Related Text - Idea 3

Conclusion

Assuming you can write at least four body paragraphs

Mr_Kap

HSC
I'd recomend this structure for most people

Introduction

Prescribed Text/Related Text - Idea 3 show similarities

Prescribed Text Idea 4

Conclusion

OR

Introduction

Prescribed Text- Idea 3

Related Text - Idea 3

Conclusion

Assuming you can write at least four body paragraphs
Oh. so i don't have to link EVERY idea. Only 1 idea i should link between related and core.

ngrfgt

HSC
Ah ok, thanks for that. That's great. I'd be ok with writing 3 paragraphs on my prescribed text, just so long as I don't have to do more than one on my related one, because it's pretty weak.

Thanks

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh. so i don't have to link EVERY idea. Only 1 idea i should link between related and core.
Depending on the question. But I'd say you'd be save in 90% or more cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)