Acceleration in your school? (1 Viewer)

James747

HSC
Hello all!
In my school we have a program called Acceleration, which as the name suggests, you accelerate your course. i.e. you learn ahead of your peers in a particular subject and do the school cert when you're in yr 9; hsc preliminary course in yr 10; and hsc in yr11.

I wanted to ask whether anyone else has this program in their school? and whether you're part of it or not? And most importantly, what course are you accelerating in and what do you think of it?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
That's the normal route for accelerants, I did my HSC for 2 unit maths in Year 10, and there are people who sit a HSC exam in years 7-9. As for this year, its just 3 unit maths, and I think accelerating is good for those who are capable of doing well in an accelerated course.

P

pLuvia

Accelerating gives you a big advantage to those who haven't because it gives you a lot of time so then you can focus on other subjects, of course if you haven't picked up another subject. My school didn't offer accelerating of subjects open to everyone, we had to ask or know about it to be able to do it. Unfortunately I didn't know about it and wasn't able to accelerate which I would of put me in a huge advantage

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
yeh, i did accelerated Chemistry. similar to the structure u stated- i did my SC for Science at the end of year 9; then did Prelim HSC in Year 10 and completed my HSC in year 11.

it helps a great deal down the track and has allowed me to focus more on my other subjects. it also allows you to have the option of picking up a distinction course :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Yes, I was accelerated in Information Processes and Technology (IPT) and completed the HSC in 2004.

The technology class (accelerated class) at my school started right from year 7 completing the Computing Studies SC in yr8, then ICDL yr 9 and yr 10 preliminary IPT then finally in yr 11 HSC IPT.

Being an accelerated student gave my class a huge advantage over the year 12's as we only had one HSC subkect to focus on and now thats it is done we don't have to drop any units ;). If you are given the chance to be in an accerlation program I suggest you grasp it with both hands and welcome the oppertunity...

James747

HSC
Thanks for the replies.

I am doing acceleration right now in Physics Preliminary, but experiencing abit of difficulty along the way on various topics. I actually wanted to do chemistry instead, as many have told me its "easier" to make sense of it, but i wasn't recommended as the teacher told me it involved alot of pracs. As i do the course by myself, missing the pracs may negatively affect my understanding of the topic. :S

Peteage

HSC
Yeh, My brother accelerated himself if ipt when he was in year 9 (he did it as an elective) and sat his hsc for it in yr 10, anyway because he was only doing one hsc subject and he'd a pritty smart guy he toped the state (2004)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
accelerate. seriously. you wont regret it.

unless you do shit, where if thats the case you can just do it with the rest of the year :p

its great. acceleration;

-gives you more time for other subjects
-chicks dig guys who have accelerated
-guys go for chicks who have accelerated
-makes you seem smart to others
-get your name in the newspaper a year early (provided if you get a band 6, which you should if you are capable of accelerating in the first place)
-OPENS UP THE PATH TO DISTINCTION COURSES i, as well as many distinction coursers, had no idea about these courses. they are awesome. but only accelerants need apply. so accelerate and do one of these courses. youll love it Click here for info

SoulSearcher

HSC
It depends largely on the school that you go to and whether there are any teachers and students dedicated enough to invest their time in accelerating their students. At my school the acceleration program started off with one student and one teacher willing to teach that student the year 10 course for the SC. Now it has turned into a few dedicated students doing the 2 unit maths HSC in year 10, and a class of around 25 doing the 2 unit maths HSC in year 11, with a few more students doing the extension 1 maths HSC exam in year 11.

A l

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, acceleration is only worth taking if you are absolutely confident that you will excel in the course (i.e. score a band 6 or band E4). That way, you can have a set definite mark for your UAI in one course before you complete your entire Higher School Certificate program.
A note in accelerating in Mathematics. If you plan to take Mathematics Extension 2 later on, then taking only the HSC 2 unit Mathematics examination beforehand wouldn't serve much benefit other than experience in terms of contributing to your UAI. Most accelerated 2 unit Mathematics students would probably have enough abilities to take Mathematics Extension 2 anyway. Normally, people who take Mathematics Extension 2 do not attempt the 2 unit Mathematics assessment program. Remember and consider, that if you take Mathematics Extension 2, any result in 2 unit Mathematics that has been previously attempted will not contribute to your UAI, no matter how well you do in it. Even if you may have ended up with a scaled mark somewhat higher than those of the Mathematics Extension courses, it would not contribute to your UAI.
Also, a note about English acceleration. The English course has constantly been under review and changes are made to the course content annually. Significant changes such as the content of the Area of Study (common to both English (Standard) and English (Advanced)) usually occur every 3-4 years. Therefore, acceleration in English courses is often rare. If you accelerate 2 unit English and decide to repeat it, then chances are, you may not necessarily go through the same course content as you did previously. In this context, the current Area of Study: The Journey, is enforced for HSC English students for 2006 and 2007. The Area of Study content is expected to change from 2008 (to perhaps something rumoured to be like Choice, Power or Identity), hence some major changes in the course content will be introduced by then.

James747

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
....whether there are any teachers and students dedicated enough to invest their time in accelerating their students.
Not necessarily if there are teachers dedicated to accelerating the students. We don't get direct help from the teacher unless you ask. Like they're not willing to especially dedicate time to teach you the stuff, so I (and the other accelerant) basically have to learn all the stuff by myself. I do get to go to some of the yr 11 classes every hour and then, though.

SoulSearcher

HSC
airie said:
I know. :p I wish I accelerated in something too. :p
Acceleration's only worth it if you are very sure that you can do really well in the subject, i.e. get a band 6 or band E4. But I believe that you would have done pretty well in accelerating maths airie, I'm sure of it.

Last edited:

wendy217

HSC
I'm accelerating Economics at the moment and loving it. I'm really glad I did, but there is a quite a load of work that comes with it. At my school, they can't fit in 7 classes a cycle, so accelerants only get 5 lessons, missing out on 2 per cycle. This means we have to do extra work just to keep up..

But overall, I have absolutely no regrets in accelerating, love the subject you chose, strive to keep up (because if you don't, you're a goner) and yeah.. basically TRY to make sure you do well, because otherwise, it's just a waste of your year when you could be putting your efforts into something else.

Yes, there is also the benefit of the opportunity of Distinction courses.. though i wouldn't recommend doing an accelerated subject JUST so you could do a Distinction course.. seems a bit round-the-bend to me.

Basically, have fun, love the subject, but be prepared for lots of work and late-nighters *yawns*

SoulSearcher

HSC
I had only a couple of periods a week our teacher dedicated to teaching us the 2 unit maths course when I did it last year. We pretty much had to teach ourselves. I agree with wendy, you really should love the subject you are accelerating in to do well in it, becasue it takes a lot of dedication, hard work and talent to get through it.

James747

HSC
One of my friends are accelerating in both Physic and Maths Ext 1 right now, but he is not doing that well in maths. Do you think accelerating in two subjects is a good idea (and almost failing one), or just a waste of time?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
im not a student who undertakes acceleration ... but a certain tall asian fella does ... he got 98% in a 2 Unit Mathematics Exam, and he was only in year 10, hes gonna do his HSC in year 11 !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)