Acceleration in your school? (1 Viewer)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
f3nr15 said:
im not a student who undertakes acceleration ... but a certain tall asian fella does ... he got 98% in a 2 Unit Mathematics Exam, and he was only in year 10, hes gonna do his HSC in year 11 !
That's good for him, he could do quite well in the exam.
James747 said:
One of my friends are accelerating in both Physic and Maths Ext 1 right now, but he is not doing that well in maths. Do you think accelerating in two subjects is a good idea (and almost failing one), or just a waste of time?
If he is going quite badly in maths, then he should consider doing the course in a normal time frame. As for accelerating 2 subjects, as long as you are doing well in both of them, then it is a good idea.

James747

HSC
Bookie said:
Some guys accelerate 6, maybe 8 units quite comfortably, its all up to the individual.
:eek: :eek: 8 UNITS?!?!?!?!?! That leaves them with 4 units to do when they're in year 12!!!!!!

john31459

HSC
N/A
Haha, I didn't really accelerate a subject - just skipped years 8 and 9. It was more challenging socially than it was academically and I probably wouldn't recommend it.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
john31459 said:
Haha, I didn't really accelerate a subject - just skipped years 8 and 9. It was more challenging socially than it was academically and I probably wouldn't recommend it.
:O how old did that make you when u finished ur HSC?

Jinpoo

HSC
basketcase89 said:
How come my school doesn't let us accelerate in anything?:(
some schools offer certain subjects as accelerated courses normally.. the courses i know of are girraween HS accelerating chemistry, and baulkham hills HS accelerating commerce/economics..

but even if its not an option, i think if u convince the headmaster or whatever u got the skills.. theyll let you have a shot.

good luck ^-^:)

SoulSearcher

HSC
Jinpoo said:
some schools offer certain subjects as accelerated courses normally.. the courses i know of are girraween HS accelerating chemistry, and baulkham hills HS accelerating commerce/economics..

but even if its not an option, i think if u convince the headmaster or whatever u got the skills.. theyll let you have a shot.

good luck ^-^:)
I think it's a bit late for her to accelerate :p

nerakp

HSC
Acceleration only works if you have a teacher to actually teach you. At my school, accelerated students had to teach the whole course by themselves up until yr 10, where they were then put in a year 11 class, which then meant they still had to teach half the course by themselves anyway because year 11s get more periods dedicated to the subjects.

If anything, acceleration only made some people dumber (ie, me). Why? Because you get lazy after teaching yourself in one subject for 4 years. Plus, acceleration works its best if you know you're going to do exceptionately well in that course and if you're willing to put some extra stress on your back at a younger age.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

HSC
When I accelerated 2 unit maths last year, we had a teacher, however we had to teach most of the preliminary and HSC course ourselves, because she was always busy helping out the year 10 students. Same now this year, except now I'm accelerating extension 1 maths.

john31459

HSC
N/A
Seems like more work than it's worth... skip the useless grades instead...

simonkey

HSC
If you are in year 10, and have studied the year 11 + 12 courses, are you allowed to do the HSC then?

simonkey

HSC
If you are in year 10, and have studied the year 11 + 12 courses, are you allowed to do the HSC then?

SnapX

HSC
This (year 10) i'm doing the chemistry prelim and 2unit Maths HSC. My teacher wants me to do Ext 2 Maths next year but i'm a little hesitant cause of the workload of Ext 2, Chem HSC and my other Prelim subjects. SoulSearcher how did you find 2unit and were you givin the option of 4unit the next year?

James747

HSC
SnapX said:
This (year 10) i'm doing the chemistry prelim and 2unit Maths HSC. My teacher wants me to do Ext 2 Maths next year but i'm a little hesitant cause of the workload of Ext 2, Chem HSC and my other Prelim subjects. SoulSearcher how did you find 2unit and were you givin the option of 4unit the next year?
Dun u hv to do ext 1 to do ext 2?
Whoa...chem? wouldnt it be hard, since u miss alot of the experiments? or do u get to go to classes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)