• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accounting Cadetship 2008 (2 Viewers)

dashkenny

HSC
Hey,

I'm quite unknown on here but i was hovering around like most of you guys last year praying for a cadetship, luckily I got one.

I'm down in Melbourne, so if any Melbournians on here looking for questions feel free to ask.

:)

Cheers good luck guys,

dashkenny

(p.s. actually haven't started because my program starts in July :D )

nickmyszkowski

HSC
Vagabond said:
business assurance is IT related... (controls of accounting/business IT systems)
so's that mean, because im genuinely interested in a career with IT involved, i can apply for these cadetships of these firms??
plz explainnnn :p

aviel.

HSC
dashkenny said:
Hey,

I'm quite unknown on here but i was hovering around like most of you guys last year praying for a cadetship, luckily I got one.

I'm down in Melbourne, so if any Melbournians on here looking for questions feel free to ask.

:)

Cheers good luck guys,

dashkenny

(p.s. actually haven't started because my program starts in July :D )
Which firm are you going to be doing your cadetship?

mark678

HSC
Yay I got an interview with Walker Wayland. I did all expect for scholarship and ones not in sydney ! :)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
how did you get an interview with walker wayland ? i thought applications haven't closed yet...

Ovaschool303

HSC
leoyh said:
how did you get an interview with walker wayland ? i thought applications haven't closed yet...

Well it just depends on what people made of the ICAA info evening. I met this guy at Chapman Eastway, he reffered my name to HR and i submitted my application about 2 weeks go and they called me in for an interview within 5 days. I know everyone's applications havent closed yet but still, that is how i got an interview already and they said i made it through to the second round. Also I got an interview with Walker Walyand in about 2 weeks time on a tuesday... when is yours???

good luck.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Smaller companies tend to be faster

They're also less likely to adhere to ICAA's rules/date restrictions

(they're all meant to reserve specific days for interviews, ensure all offers are made by a certain date, etc. etc.)

In any case most companies would have started reviewing applications before the closing date

gaaay

HSC
Hey, for the application form. i have to attach my school report
my school report is like 7-8pages, since theres a page for each subject
should i create a PDF? and attach it? but how would i do that!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
gaaay said:
Uh if you're really stuck and don't know how to do this or have access to the software/tools required to do this, why don't you offer to fax your report to them? Call the HR person and explain your reasons- who knows, maybe they'll just ask you to bring it in when you come for the interview.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
nickmyszkowski said:
hey um i was just wonderin.....i like the sound of the whole cadetship concept hahah but im an IT kind of guy and was wonderin are these types of cadetships available in IT careers and branches?
Furthering from what Vagabond said, IT roles in accounting cadetships is more understanding the reliance that companies place on their IT systems in delivering financial data to the finance/accounting teams. This can be as basic as making sure there is physical security around the computer servers or ensuring passwords are changed regularly with data backups etc... to something far more complex like doing flowcharts to better understand data flows and identifying the areas where there is greater potential for data manipulation or errors/issues to arise. You'd be surprised that even the biggest and largest corporations on the ASX 100 have shockingly horrible legacy IT systems which are used to support their ever-growing businesses!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
shilinjuju said:
When they ask why did u choose like the specific section i.e. audit or tax what's the best way to answer? can't think of a good answer
Considering you're a high school student, also bear in mind that your interviewer won't expect you to be the guru of understanding what the different divisions (and roles) of each position in a professional services firm entails. I've heard of people who've said in their interview that they randomly picked the division because they don't really know better- but they are willing to learn because it sounded interesting.

Just my 2c.

Although if it was me I'd like to know what I was getting myself into :)

Ovaschool303

HSC
gaaay said:
Your school mails them out to you right? Why dont you speak to the head of studies or headmaster or whatever the highest person is and get him to email you a copy.... that is what I did for mine and it works a treat so far. They emailed me a PDF version of it which student cant change... which is good as it defends the good marks I have got so far.

Good luck

nickmyszkowski

HSC
seremify007 said:
Furthering from what Vagabond said, IT roles in accounting cadetships is more understanding the reliance that companies place on their IT systems in delivering financial data to the finance/accounting teams. This can be as basic as making sure there is physical security around the computer servers or ensuring passwords are changed regularly with data backups etc... to something far more complex like doing flowcharts to better understand data flows and identifying the areas where there is greater potential for data manipulation or errors/issues to arise. You'd be surprised that even the biggest and largest corporations on the ASX 100 have shockingly horrible legacy IT systems which are used to support their ever-growing businesses!
so okay...lol does that mean id have a shot of gettin these cadetships if my reason for applying is interest in IT? if u get wat im sayin...or do i hav 2 really b into accounting...? lol soz if im a bit slow lol

leoyh

mic`
HSC
some firms offer cadetships in their IT departments, for example kpmg is taking a few cadets in the IT Advisory division of their firm. maybe you'd be interested in that

nickmyszkowski

HSC
leoyh said:
some firms offer cadetships in their IT departments, for example kpmg is taking a few cadets in the IT Advisory division of their firm. maybe you'd be interested in that
yer that sounds like wat i want...il take a look...is there any more that u kno of that offer IT divisions? thx

leoyh

mic`
HSC
im not sure dude, i just know that KPMG offers it cause this girl came to our school to give a talk about cadetships at KPMG. but the numbers for IT cadets are usually really really small.

shilinjuju

HSC
N/A
Was reading through the application and to me some of the questions are irrelevant, rite? Like Grade Point Averages,etc. What do we do about them?

Also do you get confirmation from the company once submitting applications?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
^ prob not because they're is too many to confirm. they'll be something at the end of hte application saying thank you etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)