Accounting Cadetship 2008 (2 Viewers)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
revo said:
hey umm just wondering: whats the difference between cadetships and co-op programs, and which one is more beneficial for a student
In short, coop programs are managed/run by universities but sponsored by firms and are basically a scholarship whereby you get to study as normal (sometimes the degree is stretched) but you also get several work placements with the sponsors. The focus here is on your degree and whilst you have work placements, these are not jobs in the sense that you are bound to work at any particular company or firm when you graduate. This is especially good if you aren't sure where you want to work nor want to make such a strong commitment- this way you get to explore various types of companies (firms/private sector/govt) without being forced to stick around.

A cadetship on the other hand is a full time job with a firm, but unlike a coop, it's with a single firm/company and you are not "rotated around" to other firms/companies (i.e. you are a regular employee). The firms know you are a uni student and expect you to attend university and thus will provide you with leave and so on to meet your requirements. As a regular employee though you will get pretty full-on training and expected to make the most of it; alot of the traineeships will do their induction training as well as ongoing training with new graduates.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
shoxgeneration said:
i agree, haha. but i may be biased since i attend unsw.

basically, it would take around 45minutes in peak hour traffic to get from a firm to the city, +/- extra 10mins - this is for UNSW. it's not too bad.
I attend UNSW and still think it's considerably harder to get to than UTS.

TO compensate though, it's only $35 a semester to get a parking permit for night-students.

Although if you're a cadet and you've got a (near) guaranteed job upon graduation, you might as well take the easy route and go UTS. It's walkable, and the course is (supposedly) easier*

* This is from what I've heard from students who have studied at both institutions. Not based on my own experience.

shilinjuju

HSC
N/A
Thanks seremify007 and nnp! Yep, def answered my questions. Thanks for taking some time to answer all our questions.

gaaay

HSC
Hi im applying for cadetships as well
but i dont really have leadership skills nor am i involved in any school activities
however
1. i am doing a tvet course for Accounting and has rec'd a distinction in my external exam
2. i have been employed for almost 3 years already in 3 different jobs
3. was Dux of yr 11
4. been involved in one activity which is fundraising money for the salvation army, HOWEVER i was team leader of my group. which is probably the only leadership activity ive undertaken.. lols
5. My certificates include: employee of the months and training for pharmacy and gold/diamond awards from school, credit in math competitions? LOLS

do u guys rekon, i have a chance to get in...?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
gaaay said:
Hi im applying for cadetships as well
but i dont really have leadership skills nor am i involved in any school activities
however
1. i am doing a tvet course for Accounting and has rec'd a distinction in my external exam
2. i have been employed for almost 3 years already in 3 different jobs
3. was Dux of yr 11
4. been involved in one activity which is fundraising money for the salvation army, HOWEVER i was team leader of my group. which is probably the only leadership activity ive undertaken.. lols
5. My certificates include: employee of the months and training for pharmacy and gold/diamond awards from school, credit in math competitions? LOLS

do u guys rekon, i have a chance to get in...?
solid.

definitely a chance

also depends on how u come across in the interviews and assessments.

good luck

leoyh

mic`
HSC
your application will get you to the interview and assessment stage only. everything else from there is based on yourself and your skills.

if you score an interview, the HR people basically deemed your application to be "good enough", everything else from there is based on your performance.

so just apply, and if u get to the interview stage, hammer them and you should be fine.

MTP

HSC
alright, my question could of been answered before, but i cbf reading the past 10 pages.

Well, do i ONLY have to study accounting at uni, if i want to apply for a cadetship? or could i study another business related course i.e marketing, and still be under the cadetship program thingo? Im a year 12 student btw.

thanks.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yes you can. basically, a cadetship means you have to do a single degree in commerce/business with a major in accounting. your second major or your sub majors can be whatever you want - finance, tax, marketing etc

shilinjuju

HSC
N/A
Hey just wondering when u are interviewed r u specified to wear formal gear like a suit! Like for a female would you just wear a business skirt, etc.?

MTP

HSC
leoyh said:
yes you can. basically, a cadetship means you have to do a single degree in commerce/business with a major in accounting. your second major or your sub majors can be whatever you want - finance, tax, marketing etc
awesome, thanks for that. Kinda cleared things up. :)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Can't be bothered structuring my answers anymore... here's everything:

Co-op = provided by uni, study + work placements with participating companies, earn a study grant (bit over 10k i think?), get to do some short placements at 2 companies (UTS) or 3 companies (UNSW). Both UTS and UNSW co-ops will guarantee you a job. UNSW co-op will guarantee you an especially terrific job.

Cadetship = literally means a job, with a company. No direct link to university. Most of them will want 2 full years of work throughout your degree. The other details depending on the company, position within industry etc, so you need to look up this info yourself. Generally pay around 30k first year, all will guarantee you a job. Fastest way to get yourself spearheaded into the CA program. Many people use as a flexible stepping stone into other jobs.

Cadetships at the big4 and co-ops are in the same ballpark in terms of perceived quality of experience... Cadetships at smaller firms, (depending on how small to an extent) dont translate to experience as valuable as the aforementioned possibilities (assuming you want a corporate career of sorts)... If you want to continue working in a mid-tier/smaller firm then obviously they're the ideal choice.

Wear to an interview what you'd expect to wear at work, "plus a notch".. For guys that means suit and tie, for girls that means whatever you have on the more formal side.

Edit: No matter what you do, don't wear a white belt or white shoes (inside joke)

Leoyh I have a feeling I must have chatted to you on the ICAA night.. lol

Last edited:

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Vagabond said:
Leoyh I have a feeling I must have chatted to you on the ICAA night.. lol
which stall were you at vagabond? it was frustrating man, each stall had so little people and everyone was pounding them. it was impossible to talk to anyone almost. and randoms would just jump in from nowhere

Last edited:

mark678

HSC
So seriously if you are a shy person will you find it hard to get a cadetship? Like do you have to talk to heaps of business people all the time or can you stay in the office and do some accounting for a while till you build up confidence.

Allso with the predicted UAI thing, how do you work this out. Do you have to have your school predict it or can you make it up yourself /use SAM ?

So basically you list awards/ work experience in your resume then you act all enthusiastic/motivated/smart at the interview and youll get in???

Vagabond - what extra curricular did you do?

mark678

HSC
got it of some website.
Lol its funny watching people get ownd:spam:

dingusmagee

HSC
Just wondering if you do a cadetship are you expected to work for a firm for a specific time? Or can you leave whenever you want?

Also whats the best devision to apply for and what does each involve?

Thanks

Last edited:

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
dear sir/madam (if u know a name its better),

my name is so and so and im in this school. i wud like to apply for the position because i believe it will...

i am currently studying (write a business subject here if u do one) for my HSC and i believe it will combine strongly with (enter briefly extra curric activities) to make sure that i am successful at the firm, and that the firm is teh best for me.

look forward to hearing from you,

signed.

{obviously u will substitute my standard english stuff with some flashy words} it dnt hav to be a whole page, only a few pars

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)