Accounting Cadetships (2 Viewers)

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Re: touchie...

christo89 said:
Ghost rider.. you really are a twit.
lol.. he is, but he hasn't been on BOS for like 4 years .. I don't think he care's now!

Returned my contract and everything now, so now it's official! Oh yea! :)

Pace_T

HSC
cadetships suck in my opinion. u have to work a lot and is very distracting. + being guaranteed a job in accounting isnt much to brag about, its hard not to get a job in this field, there's so many job vacancies for accountants. also the pay is so shit, im glad i didnt accept mine when i finished school, i get paid so much more now doing unrelated stuff. and in the end, u'll realise u dont really get that far ahead of the other people who didnt do a cadetship, since u can do summer vacation work which is the same thing but doesnt interfere with uni.
but each to their own i guess =)

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Pace_T said:
cadetships suck in my opinion. u have to work a lot and is very distracting. + being guaranteed a job in accounting isnt much to brag about, its hard not to get a job in this field, there's so many job vacancies for accountants. also the pay is so shit, im glad i didnt accept mine when i finished school, i get paid so much more now doing unrelated stuff. and in the end, u'll realise u dont really get that far ahead of the other people who didnt do a cadetship, since u can do summer vacation work which is the same thing but doesnt interfere with uni.
Yea, it is a bit of an each to their own kinda thing!

I just see it that working in a related job owns working in the likes of Macca's when I'm at Uni.. I want to be able to have my nights and weekends so I can go out and catch up with my mates rather than having to work to get $. Plus if I have any problems with Uni stuff I have other people to fall back on kinda .. Also I live in a town/small city (whatever you want to call it) on the VIC/NSW border where there's only around 100,000 people .. I want to be able to get experience straight up so I can transfer overseas or to a capital city at least .. But that's my logic!

If I didn't get it I'd be doing Accounting at Swinburne/RMIT in Melbourne, so either way I'll end up where I want!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Pace_T said:
lol parts of that are so unfounded but anyhow, i do realise that everyone has a different experience.

Pace_T

HSC
Sh4DoW said:
I want to be able to have my nights and weekends so I can go out and catch up with my mates rather than having to work to get $.
i think you've been very ill informed if you think you'll have free time on weekends and during nights LOL. doing a cadetship means working your butt off for 4 or 5 years.
keeping up in uni + working as a cadet = doing uni work all weekend. but thats assuming its part time uni and part time working.
sometimes they switch it around and you might work fulltime for a semester. its ok i suppose, except that it means you graduate years after everyone else.
but like you said, at least you get the experience =)

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Pace_T said:
i think you've been very ill informed if you think you'll have free time on weekends and during nights LOL. doing a cadetship means working your butt off for 4 or 5 years.
keeping up in uni + working as a cadet = doing uni work all weekend. but thats assuming its part time uni and part time working.
sometimes they switch it around and you might work fulltime for a semester. its ok i suppose, except that it means you graduate years after everyone else.
but like you said, at least you get the experience =)
I know exactly what the go is.. It's a 4 year course .. For the 1st and 2nd years the first semester is full time uni (3 days uni, 2 days work) .. Full time during breaks and the second semester is full time work, part time (after-hours) uni. For the 3rd and 4th years it's full time uni and working full time during breaks.

This won't make any difference with me.. My manager and partner think I will cope easily because I've been working 20+ hours a week since Year 10 and still managing 5ish hours of study/hw after doing school. I'm very organised, so if I wanted the weekends as a break, I'd be able to organise myself to get it that way. This, if anything, looks to be easier than senior high school to me.

greg186

HSC
N/A
sh4dow, you said you were starting an accounting cadetship with kmpgin albury?
probably cos you want to have their name on your resume?
bad luck about that cos i just heard that they've been sold, but cant remember who to. being abury kpmg it would have to be an improvement though

aslhui

HSC
kool!! i applied too, but still havent got a reply yet!!
was ur results sooo good?
im so worried now!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Seeing this old thread made me read through a lot of the views from a decade or so ago- back when cadetships definitely weren't as well structured and popular as they are today.

Given what happened during GFC and now, I think a lot of people would be very happy to have a guaranteed job in accounting or commerce!

Your pretty wrong ghostrider, I don't know what the pay rates were like in 2002, but PWC's contract this year starts at 30500 p.a. which works out to be $635.42 a wk (48 working wk's per year) which in the PWC week of 37.5hrs equates to $16.94.

I really cannot see, even with the highest tax rate, how that you could deduce it would be 8 bucks an hr.
I think he was referring to the reality that most people work more than the standard 37.5 hour week.

That being said, the cadetship salary on average back pre-2004 was around the $18k-$22k mark not including any textbook grants/allowances/etc. The current generation of cadets only have to work 4 days a week rather than 4.5 days during semester, and have much better conditions on average as well since the program is far more developed.

M

MichelleV

Darn- got the standard rejection letter from one of the jobs i applied for.

I'm honestly not surprised, but its just frustrating because I need to search harder now for more options :( (not that I wasn't searching hard before :p)

is a roflcopter
HSC
dont be too disheartened by rejection letters, keep at it

- i lost count how many i got. i remember getting reject to work at civic video and dymocks, etc ,etc (too newbie was the reason)

ritikashikh123

HSC
N/A
is too hard to get a cadetship?
i've recieved 4 rejection letters till date :( and i've almost lost all my hope of being a cadet

M

MichelleV

I didn't receive any personalised feedback unfortunately.

I am fairly certain of the reasons my applications would be rejected though. I'm not applying for these under the same circumstances as most :p

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I didn't receive any personalised feedback unfortunately.

I am fairly certain of the reasons my applications would be rejected though. I'm not applying for these under the same circumstances as most :p

What do you mean by not applying under "same circumstances as most"? Were all students looking for an extremely effective way to kick off our career.. unless you have connections to firms lol

M

MichelleV

What do you mean by not applying under "same circumstances as most"? Were all students looking for an extremely effective way to kick off our career.. unless you have connections to firms lol
I'm not applying as a current y12 student.
I've been working for 6 months in a different firm and I've done a semester of uni already.

So I get compared slightly differently to you guys.
:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)