Accounting @ UNSW? (1 Viewer)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently study commerce at usyd and I was thinking of transferring to unsw. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could answer these questions:

- Do you guys get specific feedback for assignments/exams?
- Are lectures recorded and uploaded to blackboard?
- Are past exam papers provided for exam prep?
- Do lecturers try to involve the class?
- Are lecturers actually good?
- Are tutors good?
- How is the content (theory/practical)? I find usyd too theoretical, which sort of puts me off.

Thanks in advance for any replies I can get :thrust:

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'm Curious to know what marks you would need to transfer from USYD to UNSW, anybody have an idea?

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I'm Curious to know what marks you would need to transfer from USYD to UNSW, anybody have an idea?
A friend of mine was at UNSW with a borderline D average and got into USYD BCom.. I assume it'd be similar transferring from USYD to UNSW.

mash121

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently study commerce at usyd and I was thinking of transferring to unsw. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could answer these questions:

- Are tutors good?
- How is the content (theory/practical)? I find usyd too theoretical, which sort of puts me off.

Thanks in advance for any replies I can get :thrust:
in response to to the first 6 questions it really depends on what lecture/tutor you get, i have only done 2 accounting courses but in both not much feedback was given and if you wanted more then you had to go see the lecturer in charge or your tutor in consultations. in regards to the content, i dont understand what u mean by theoretical how could accounting be theoretical, the way it is taught in unsw is basicly you are given scenarios and case studies and they give you questions on these scenarios and case studies, eg. make a cash flow statement the scenario is usually over simplified and you would expect to get something more complex in real life (if thats what you mean by theoretical). to be honest i would think accounting at unsw would be basicly the same as at usyd.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Generally yes for assignment. We do not get our final exam paper back. At any rate, tutors are generally happy to give you feedback if you just go up and ask them.

I finished my commerce degree last year. As far as I can remember none of the lectures are recorded. Some courses in the business school do record their lectures. Base on my impression, the accounting faculty at unsw does not like the idea of recording lectures. I recall an instance where they examined on something that can only be answered by students who have attended lectures.

Some courses do.

Generally no. That's the tutor's job.

Varies.

- Are tutors good?
Varies

The first year introductory courses are somewhat more practical. After that it's quite theoretical. Note however they are not training you to become a book-keeper.

All in all, I think unsw is quite good and I would recommend it. Since I've never been to any other uni I can't really advise on whether you should transfer.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
It seems like the usyd and unsw are pretty similar then.. sigh I guess I'll just stay at usyd.

Thanks mash and chewy.

inJust

HSC
Out of curiosity, why are you transferring? Can you PM me or something.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I didn't find Accounting to be too interesting. But it depends on the person.

Usually not. But apparently they provided a 'sample exam' for Accounting 1A and it was quite similar to the actual final. I heard it was just numbers changed...

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Out of curiosity, why are you transferring? Can you PM me or something.
from what i've experienced, usyd's accounting faculty is too bureaucratic/rigid.

examples of what i've experienced:

- couldn't ask questions about how to approach an accounting assignment (BUSS1030)
- couldn't ask questions related to the accounting assignment (e.g. financial ratios, financial statements, internal controls)
- after a midsemester exam, there are viewing sessions where you can see what you did wrong (but no corrections are made). if you try to ask why it's wrong, the lecturer will say questions will not be answered during viewing sessions, so it's impossible to improve from your errors
- some units cut communication with students during stuvac period (forums + email).

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
from what i've experienced, usyd's accounting faculty is too bureaucratic/rigid.

- couldn't ask questions about how to approach an accounting assignment (BUSS1030)
- couldn't ask questions related to the accounting assignment (e.g. financial ratios, financial statements, internal controls)
- after a midsemester exam, there are viewing sessions where you can see what you did wrong (but no corrections are made). if you try to ask why it's wrong, the lecturer will say questions will not be answered during viewing sessions, so it's impossible to improve from your errors
- some units cut communication with students during stuvac period (forums + email).
I am not doing an acct major but from my experience doing 1A and 1B, the tutors will go through the whole exam first. If you have any queries you can ask afterwards.

HSC
Uni Grad

Seems like USYD is so shit in the 'customer service experience' sort of thing. Heck, I'm pretty sure tutors in accounting would let you go through the exam when you get it back, even during consultation. My accounting 1A tutor did the same for my midsem; went through it and answered questions during the tute and consultation (Y). My tutor also helped me through linkedin, so you can see how much better it is :)

And as for my other subjects, I went to see my exam paper for chinese, and they went through it with me. No fees required. They even gave me sections of the exam back to me to re-do. They even gave me 6 extra marks added when I asked about counting errors :)

a19901213

HSC
Seems like USYD is so shit in the 'customer service experience' sort of thing. Heck, I'm pretty sure tutors in accounting would let you go through the exam when you get it back, even during consultation. My accounting 1A tutor did the same for my midsem; went through it and answered questions during the tute and consultation (Y). My tutor also helped me through linkedin, so you can see how much better it is :)

And as for my other subjects, I went to see my exam paper for chinese, and they went through it with me. No fees required. They even gave me sections of the exam back to me to re-do. They even gave me 6 extra marks added when I asked about counting errors :)
UNSW generally are quite good in this kind of thing. When I did my 1A and 1B lecturer and tutor were really trying hard on explaining past exams and went through some of the questions with us, which were very helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)