Accused of cheating?? (1 Viewer)

jhems97

HSC
N/A
So during one of my exams, I was spoken to at the end because I had apparently used the bathroom for a suspiciously long time. This is because I have a bowel disorder which I've struggled with for the past two years. But anyways, the fact that I was using the bathroom for like 7-10 minutes was considered really suspicious so I was approached and told to empty my pockets etc etc. I had my phone in my pocket, but it was on airplane mode and silent. I don't bring a backpack to exams and honestly wasn't thinking about my phone before the exam at all which is why I had it on me. Also, while there is usually an announcement before an exam to empty your pockets and get rid of all devices, there was none before this exam. I know it's a student's own responsibility, but I have severe ADD/anxiety/depression, and it's literally impossible for me to focus/concentrate on something as trivial as my phone during an exam. Before an exam I'm focusing on trying not to have a panic attack and remember everything - not something like whether my phone is on me or not.

In any case, I had nothing to hide on my phone so I let the supervisor go through my phone. The only evidence of work or whatever was some notes I had that were completely irrelevant to the exam that I was using to study BEFORE the exam on the way to school. It was for a specific dot point that wasn't in the exam at all and that I could not have used to further/better my work in the exam. In any case, I was made to feel like it was all okay, but then found out recently that I am receiving a zero for that assessment. For someone who's aiming for a very high ATAR, and a few months ago was not even sure if they could complete their HSC because of physical/mental illness and family issues, this was a massive blow to me. Especially because I've been doing so well consistently in school for years. Someone who's as neurotic and as anxious as me literally would not have it in them to even think about cheating...

Anywho, I understand why this was a problem, but the entire reason I need to use the bathroom is because I've had this persistent problem, and I've gotten a copy of all my patient/medical history for the past few years. I have a psychiatrist appointment very soon so I'll be able to get letters of support. Again, honestly I did not even think about my phone because with ADD and anxiety it's impossible for me to focus on something like that. My principal said that there was no point of appealing to the Board because there was no chance I would win the case, but I'm honestly feeling so depressed and upset about this. I refuse to get a zero for an assessment which I tried so hard in. We haven't received results yet but I genuinely think I did fairly well in the exam. Considering I was seriously considering dropping out and repeating year twelve, this has literally made me feel completely hopeless and really depressed. Really considering the futility of school and all this effort I've put in. I'm a good student, I don't get in trouble and I've gotten good grades, and to hear this, right before school ends for an assessment hurts so much. In the scheme of things I realise this is not the biggest thing in the world, but there was absolutely NOTHING on my phone. I forwarded my teacher all the notes on my phone to prove that there was no correlation with the notes and work, but still nothing...

I want to appeal because the reality is I didn't cheat and the entire accusation is as equally damaging to my reputation as it is hurtful and untrue. I understand there's other pathways to whatever I want to do, but it's honestly the principle of it all as well. It makes me mad that the school system can even think about doing this to a student.

What do you all suggest I do? Considering my medical history/academic history etc it is even worth appealing to the Board of Studies especially after my principal said there was no point?

Sorry for the long post but had to make sure I detailed everything.

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
Appeal, get more people on your side, friends, family, teachers whatever, support in numbers, it will boost your legitimacy and hopefully change the minds of the markers.

Flop21

HSC
You probably should have applied for disability-provisions, when they were due.

Are you still able to do that? I would ring the BOS. They are helpful, give them a call and they'll redirect you to the correct person you should be speaking to about this.

Usually the trial exams have a set of 'procedures' or rules that your school will give to you beforehand. This may include bags at the back of the room with phones out of pockets etc.

Fight it and appeal with all you can. Can your parents help you out here? Because I know this is really stressful, and hopefully they can deal with it while you get on with your studies.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/disability-provisions/

Ekman

HSC
Don't listen to what your principal or teacher says, APPEAL! You've got nothing to lose if you appeal. You've built a strong and logical case behind why you didn't cheat, and why the teachers were wrong to accuse you of cheating so appeal! This is your final exam before the HSC and you've obviously worked so hard all year, who do they think they are to say that you shouldn't appeal when you have worked so hard to reach this point. Appeal like there is no tomorrow. Good luck! :)

jhems97

HSC
N/A
@astroman: Yes, I think I'm going to get my mum to come in. As a doctor herself, I'm sure it will augment my case. I'll maybe get one of my friends to vouch for me too.

@Flop21: Yes, I understand that but this has all really happened very suddenly. While I have obviously been struggling with all these health issues for a while now, diagnosis has only come recently in the past few weeks/months. I will definitely be applying for provisions for the HSC. They won't be too much or anything of too much benefit, but they'll definitely help, and I'll take all the help I can get!

@Ekman: Yes, I think I will definitely appeal now. I'm just feeling so depressed. I've honestly been having nightmares and some really bad thoughts about all of this. Just the thought of getting a zero makes me physically ill. Would anyone know the process behind appealing though? If anyone could link me or something that would be great. I've been trying to do some research myself but I'm not too sure of what I'm reading and whether it's applicable to my case/circumstance etc. My principal said that he believes me I think, but that his hands are tied and that this is a Board policy....

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey jhems97

This is quite a very distressing situation, and I sympathise with the feelings of anxiety and depression that you have. The HSC's hard enough, but now you have this to deal with. This is no good at all!

Regarding your appeal, if what you are saying is correct, by all means I urge you to appeal! I mean, it's quite unfair... Well, not quite unfair... JUST UNFAIR. You seem to have quite a good academic history, along with a very sound reputation You should ask your teachers (those not involved with the accusation) to testify for your innocence along with the proper medical certification. I'm sure a combination of these will result with the matter not going up to the Board of Studies...

However, if that seems to fail, then go to BOSTES. I remember doing the language exam recently (for Filipino) and my friend was quite concerned that he didn't get to speak for very long during the Discussion portion of his Speaking exam. We told the exam supervisor and she was very alarmed, she took our query very seriously and asked the head of the exams at the time to speak both to my friend and the examiner. It was cleared up, my friend just didn't expect it to go by that quick. BASED from that experience, I think overall BOSTES takes these concerns very seriously. If what you have stated is the truth, then don't worry, it'll be cleared up :)

Don't be upset... calm down and just appeal. Let the due process take its time, I'm sure it'll work out :) best of luck!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
@astroman: Yes, I think I'm going to get my mum to come in. As a doctor herself, I'm sure it will augment my case. I'll maybe get one of my friends to vouch for me too.
See if you can get someone other than just a family relative, as this will bolster your case if they aren't related to you
@Flop21: Yes, I understand that but this has all really happened very suddenly. While I have obviously been struggling with all these health issues for a while now, diagnosis has only come recently in the past few weeks/months. I will definitely be applying for provisions for the HSC. They won't be too much or anything of too much benefit, but they'll definitely help, and I'll take all the help I can get!
I had someone at my school appeal as they were sick on the day of the exam, they still did the exam, did poorly but appealed and their mark was adjusted so that their progressive mark did not change. Definitely appeal.
@Ekman: Yes, I think I will definitely appeal now. I'm just feeling so depressed. I've honestly been having nightmares and some really bad thoughts about all of this. Just the thought of getting a zero makes me physically ill. Would anyone know the process behind appealing though? If anyone could link me or something that would be great. I've been trying to do some research myself but I'm not too sure of what I'm reading and whether it's applicable to my case/circumstance etc. My principal said that he believes me I think, but that his hands are tied and that this is a Board policy....

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
First you must formally appeal to the school and allow them to go through their procedures - this is what BOSTES will tell you to do.

If you aren't happy with the outcome then you can appeal to BOSTES who will hear the case and sometimes they overrule the school and sometimes they don't.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
By leaving the phone in your pocket during the exam, you committed exam misconduct. Doesn't matter if you have mental health issues. Fact is, what you did (or did not do) counts as misconduct.

But I think getting a "0" seems excessive, given the evidence you laid out. I think a warning would be a more appropriate course of action.

Do appeal.
Yah

I think I forgot to take my phone out once and got busted .

It was a warning that I got back in yr 11 or 12

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
And also learn to just empty all your pockets before going into an exam. To just cross out all risks.
If I was a teacher and I saw your phone and connected that hypothesis with why you spent so much time in the bathroom, I would've assumed you were cheating as well. Despite it being on airplane mode and off, there is always that chance that you could've turned it on and then off again.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
Your case is not very believable
There is an overwhelming possibility that you could have revised at the toilets AFTER you saw everything in the paper

braintic

HSC
N/A
Your case is not very believable
There is an overwhelming possibility that you could have revised at the toilets AFTER you saw everything in the paper
When you say "your case is not very believable" you are implying that everyone should come to the same conclusion.
Clearly you are the only person outside the teachers who have that opinion.
When expressing you own opinion, say "I don't believe it".

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
@astroman: Yes, I think I'm going to get my mum to come in. eAs a doctor herself, I'm sure it will augment my cas. I'll maybe get one of my friends to vouch for me too.

Irrelevant and won't make a difference to the appeal.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
And i do find your case quite silly in a way.

You have your phone with you in your pocket in the toilets. You also have some notes for the exam (that you did/or did not have to use - irrelevant). And you spent quite a while in the toilet. Airplane mode and switched off?? As if you couldn't just switch it on and take it off airplane mode and use it to cheat......... don't you find that hard to sympathise with? You got to stop blaming the school and the 'system'.
You have to understand their viewpoint. I've heard of so many instances of cheating. And those that do end up cheating, will NEVER admit it.

I'm not saying you cheated or didn't. But you got to understand you are at fault. You brought your phone into the exam in your pocket. You also had notes in your pocket. You don't have much of a case. Your anxiety/illness has little to nothing to do with this case.

But of course, the best thing to do is appeal. A couple of years back my friend also cheated, appealed it over and over again, he got a flat 0 for the task. And i'm glad he did. But he did move on, and did reasonably well in the rest of the year and got into his course of desire anyway.

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
And i do find your case quite silly in a way.

You have your phone with you in your pocket in the toilets. You also have some notes for the exam (that you did/or did not have to use - irrelevant). And you spent quite a while in the toilet. Airplane mode and switched off?? As if you couldn't just switch it on and take it off airplane mode and use it to cheat......... don't you find that hard to sympathise with? You got to stop blaming the school and the 'system'.
You have to understand their viewpoint. I've heard of so many instances of cheating. And those that do end up cheating, will NEVER admit it.

I'm not saying you cheated or didn't. But you got to understand you are at fault. You brought your phone into the exam in your pocket. You also had notes in your pocket. You don't have much of a case. Your anxiety/illness has little to nothing to do with this case.

But of course, the best thing to do is appeal. A couple of years back my friend also cheated, appealed it over and over again, he got a flat 0 for the task. And i'm glad he did. But he did move on, and did reasonably well in the rest of the year and got into his course of desire anyway.
Basically what I was thinking. I think it would be harder to say you did something wrong if it was in your bag. Because then its a lot easier to believe you have that problem and even better when supported with medical documents. But to have it in your pocket, even with a bowel problem, is a risky side of the argument and I would side with the teachers' assumptions as well.

If you do end up getting that zero in the end, make it a lesson to not bring your phone with you. Because I don't, I'm scared it might vibrate or just suddenly go off even though I turned it off, or I might take it out on accident and get busted for trying to cheat. Its all clear in the assessment notices, they even tell you to not bring it in.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If it was an internal assessment-can't you use those evidence to compile up a case to your teachers/principal and explain everything to them in a reasoned way rather than appealing to an external authority who will have no grasp of your situation or indeed your school's circumstances for that matter. Calm down-don't get too anxious-just breathe one step at a time-it is not the end of the world-remember to breathe-your health is the most important thing at the end of the day:)

D94

HSC
N/A
It's rather trivial to argue the point that the OP is lying in some way. You gain nothing from it except an ego boost. It's not as if you could substantiate your claim, so why even bother?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If it was an internal assessment-can't you use those evidence to compile up a case to your teachers/principal and explain everything to them in a reasoned way rather than appealing to an external authority who will have no grasp of your situation or indeed your school's circumstances for that matter. Calm down-don't get too anxious-just breathe one step at a time-it is not the end of the world-remember to breathe-your health is the most important thing at the end of the day:)
The external body - i.e. BOSTES - won't consider an appeal until it has been appealed through the school anyway so the OP has to take it through the school's processes first.

crispycarrot

HSC
A guy in my school, not just any dude, the VICE CAPTAIN OF THE SCHOOL had some notes written on his palms, got caught out and received a 0 for his half yearlies. The funny thing is, his notes were all smudged due to his sweaty palms. Not only couldn't you tell they were notes, he couldn't even read them himself, he got a 0 for no reason.

A group of other people also got caught in the same exam, I guess that's why the teachers assumed the guy was cheating as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)