Acfi2080... (1 Viewer)

celcast

HSC
SoCal said:
That would be awesome if you could do that dude:). Is this the Careers Site you are talking about? If so, it seems there are a few Accountancy firms with positions available but not many Banking/Finance firms. Also, most of them are for Graduates:(.
Most of the banking/finance graduate roles close really early around feb and april so most of them arent listed anymore. Alot of the accounting grad roles also close about april.

Also talking about banks have you had a look a the commonwealth bank I pretty sure they have a finance vacation program.

Im looking to get into stockbroking, there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of vacation or grad jobs around for them. Most of them require SIA qualifications.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
celcast said:
Most of the banking/finance graduate roles close really early around feb and april so most of them arent listed anymore. Alot of the accounting grad roles also close about april.
Yeah, next year I am going to have to get in earlier. It is good that I have started looking around now because if I had of made the same mistake next year I would have been stuffed:eek:.

celcast said:
Also talking about banks have you had a look a the commonwealth bank I pretty sure they have a finance vacation program.
I already checked their site and they have no Vacation Program listed:(.

celcast said:
Im looking to get into stockbroking, there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of vacation or grad jobs around for them. Most of them require SIA qualifications.
Yeah, I am wanting get more into the trading side of things, so I am looking more at Funds/Portfolio Management, etc than Investment Banking but I don't really mind what I start out as, I might even like it:p. Yeah, there doesn't seem to be that many jobs but all the major Investment/Trading Banks seem to take annual intakes into their Graduate Program:). You are a Graduate this year, right? Are you doing Commerce or Finance? Surely the Graduate positions don't require SIA qualifications? I would have thought that would have only been required for higher level positions:confused:?

baker182

HSC
Commonwealth did have vacation employment. I got my phone interview next week :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
Commonwealth did have vacation employment. I got my phone interview next week :)
Ah, damn, I missed out then:(. Oh well. Anyway, good luck dude. How many other interviews did you get:)?

celcast

HSC
SoCal said:
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be that many jobs but all the major Investment/Trading Banks seem to take annual intakes into their Graduate Program:). You are a Graduate this year, right? Are you doing Commerce or Finance? Surely the Graduate positions don't require SIA qualifications? I would have thought that would have only been required for higher level positions:confused:?
Im doing commerce, i changed to part time at the start of the year so now i finish end of next year. Yeah what I sort of meant to say was that grad roles dont require SIA qualifications, however having said that there arent a huge amount of grad roles in investment/trading and to get those roles its real competitive.

There are heaps of basic back office roles and assistant roles to get into, especially in Sydney and some of those you dont even need a degree. But if you want to actually get better pay, role, etc heaps of roles though require SIA qualifications.

Goodluck with CBA Baker182. I applied last year for it but didnt get past the online test. Just speak heaps on the phone and you should be fine.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Are you doing a Finance major with your Commerce Degree? Yeah, I am thinking I might go straight into the SIA course after I get my degree if I don't get a job, unless you need some experience before you get it, I haven't really looked into it. I don't want to get some dodge job though, that is for sure:p.

celcast

HSC
Yeah i doing a finance and financial accounting major, wish id done a double degree though with finance and commerce. I havent really looked at the SIA but its structured so you can do it as you work.

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Ah, damn, I missed out then:(. Oh well. Anyway, good luck dude. How many other interviews did you get:)?

I got a few applications to do over the next few weeks.

baker182

HSC
celcast said:
Im doing commerce, i changed to part time at the start of the year so now i finish end of next year. Yeah what I sort of meant to say was that grad roles dont require SIA qualifications, however having said that there arent a huge amount of grad roles in investment/trading and to get those roles its real competitive.

There are heaps of basic back office roles and assistant roles to get into, especially in Sydney and some of those you dont even need a degree. But if you want to actually get better pay, role, etc heaps of roles though require SIA qualifications.

Goodluck with CBA Baker182. I applied last year for it but didnt get past the online test. Just speak heaps on the phone and you should be fine.
Thanks, I need all the luck i can get.

What subjects are you doing?

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
hey socal, even if a company only advertises for grad positions, it is possible that they will take you on if you still hvae a bit of uni left. These policies arent too strict, and if youre good enough, they may not mind that youre a bit younger. its worth a try anyway!! be positive and put your resume in everywhere!! as the saying goes, you have to be in it to win it. the employers will be encouraged by your initiative and enthusiasm.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Emily. said:
hey socal, even if a company only advertises for grad positions, it is possible that they will take you on if you still hvae a bit of uni left. These policies arent too strict, and if youre good enough, they may not mind that youre a bit younger. its worth a try anyway!! be positive and put your resume in everywhere!! as the saying goes, you have to be in it to win it. the employers will be encouraged by your initiative and enthusiasm.
Maybe if you are outstanding but if you are just an average student I doubt they would make an exception, especially at the bigger banks:(. Also, they would expect you to work part-time which I definitely don't want to do. It is probably a bit late now anyway, I will just waiting until early next year:).

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
with lack of confidence in yourself like that you wont get a job anywhere buddy. you need to have self worth before any employer will see anything in you!! and dont discount any of the smaller banks either, well not banks, but try places like the newcastle perm and the greater too, theyre both great places to work and could lead on to bigger and better things!

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
oh, and marks arent everything
youre obviously very interested in that type of thing, and employers will take interest, enthusiasm and knowledge of the industry over uni marks any day.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
lol @ you being all high and mighty just because your business studies teacher got you a job at PWC.

No doubt you're a stand out employee at PWC, sitting around the office posting on BOS all day and chatting on MSN.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Emily. said:
with lack of confidence in yourself like that you wont get a job anywhere buddy. you need to have self worth before any employer will see anything in you!! and dont discount any of the smaller banks either, well not banks, but try places like the newcastle perm and the greater too, theyre both great places to work and could lead on to bigger and better things!
It's not that I have a lack of confidence, I am just being realistic;). I can't go for a job if one doesn't exist:p. I doubt those smaller Newcastle banks have trading houses anyway:).

Emily. said:
oh, and marks arent everything
youre obviously very interested in that type of thing, and employers will take interest, enthusiasm and knowledge of the industry over uni marks any day.
So that's why banks such as Macquarie basically only take people doing combined degrees with at least a distinction average? Thanks for your interest though:).

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Cyph said:
lol @ you being all high and mighty just because your business studies teacher got you a job at PWC.

No doubt you're a stand out employee at PWC, sitting around the office posting on BOS all day and chatting on MSN.
there was no high and mightiness
im being encouraging

and if i was hired on the word of my business studies teacher, thats their stupid fault for taking her word, if im that much of a liability.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Even though Niel can be a jackass sometimes I actually think he is quite funny. He has made me smile quite a few times:eek:.

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Even though Niel can be a jackass sometimes I actually think he is quite funny. He has made me smile quite a few times:eek:.
Did I miss anything in the lecture today?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)