ACFI3190: Financial Institutions Risk Management (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I am probably only talking to UGFighter and celcast here but has anyone done ACFI3190: Financial Institutions Risk Management? It has ACFI2200 and ECON2350 (which doesn't even show up in the course search) listed as two of the assumed knowledge courses but I haven't done either, so I am just wondering how important knowledge of those two subjects are for this course. Thanks:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
While I am at it, how similar is ACFI3140: International Finance to ACFI2080: Corporate Financial Decision Making? I remember Steve Easton mentioning that it is basically a more detailed look at the International Financial Management topic done in ACFI2080: Corporate Financial Decision Making and he recommended not doing it. However, since I am really short of courses I think I will have to do it:(.

UGFighter

HSC
sorry mate, haven't done any of the 3 courses you mentioned in your first post.... so I can't really answer. I'm doing 2200 next sem. though

3140 isn't too bad, it's a little interesting and a bit more realistic... we did stuff on China and it's reevaluation of the yuan, getting an exam question worth 20 marks based on reading a dozen articles from the AFR.

Hedging is another major concept, you'll get case studie(s) on firms who suffered huge losses because they didn't hedge against the exchange rate which effectively cut all their profits.

Role of the RBA in regulating the AUD and how it's made money by buying low and selling high...

financial arbitrage, interest rate parity, fisher's theorem, etc. will be covered.

UGFighter

HSC
just started uploading all the stuff i downloaded for acfi3140 last sem. to yousendit, so you'll get a link for download in your hotmail when it's finished uploading in an about an hour since it's 20MB in size.

UGFighter

HSC
as a side note, one of the most practical courses which will equip you with skills to help value a company that i believe will serve well in a financial career is spreadsheet modelling...

i can tell you now, knowing how to set up a ss to discount a company's future cash flow for 10-15 years back to present value, keeping in mind inaccurate data, accounting for worst and best case scenarios etc. is priceless and is what will seperate you from the chumps when you graduate.

a couple of examples:

check out OPL and it's share price since October last year.... i first valued it when it was 26-35c and i could see it was way undervalued... it's now sitting at 90c and i believe it's worth $1-$1.20. Keep an eye on it over the next few months early next year (jan sometime prolly) as we're expecting the results of the NW Lost Hills drill which may contain 300BCF gas or so...

keep an eye on MAE... another under-valued stock which is worth anywhere from $0.65-$1.20-$2.00... i haven't run the figures on this one myself, but based on a free cash flow of $7 million at 40c giving it a market cap. of $60 million, I had it under-valued by 15-20% based on current cash flow and didn't account for any future cash flow. It's jumped about 20% in the last week and I haven't calculated my own figures of what it's worth yet.. but rest assured it's worth more than what it is currently since they'll be drilling over a dozen more wells in the new year which should get immediate hookup to a pipeline which means cash flow. :)

Anyone can tell you to use dollar cost averaging over 10 years to buy blue chips... picking 3-4, even up to 10 baggers requires skill more than luck. Most people hate valuing stocks too, so if you become known good at valuing stocks, it'll help you to build up a network of people.

if you have time over the hols, get your hands on:

the warren buffet way by hagstrom
the intelligent investor, 5th edition by Benjamin Graham
bringing down the house: story of 6 M.I.T students who took vegas for millions
liar's poker

prolly best to order from amazon.com too, it works out cheaper even after u pay for shipping.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
OK, thanks for the information on ACFI3140. So it sounds like an review of the International Financial Management topic done in ACFI2080 with more detail and more content. Thanks for the ACFI3140 documents too dude, I will get them tonight:).

I assume the spreadsheet modelling course you are referring to is ACFI2240: Introductory Spreadsheet Modelling? If so, it appears not to be available in 2006, which is a shame because it seems like a pretty practical course. We have learnt some of the topics in other courses though, for example simple sensitivity analyses in Accounting and EBUS1010:).

It looks like you are really into the market. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to start watching it too. Thanks for the recommended reading list, it might be a good idea for me to look into them too:).

I am really short on subjects. Even doing some I don't really want to do I am still two subjects short in semester one:(:

Semester One:

ACFI3130: Investments
ECON3060: International Business and Finance

Semester Two:

ECON3230: Financial Economics
ACFI3140: International Finance
ACFI3190: Financial Institutions Risk Management
STAT2020: Data Analysis: Regression & Forecasting
ECON3220: Money and Finance (I am not going to do this if I choose to do ACFI3140)

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i havent decided what im gonna do next sem either, ive only enrolled in 2010 and 2030....i havent decided whether ill do 3 or 4 subjects
im thinking of doing either LEGL2002 and or 2005...anyone done either of these?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)