Koray

HSC
:burn: Ok i am aiming for 86+

Now

Legal studies- 60% which is poor- 6/8

Business Studies - 65% middle of the class probably lower middle

Ancient history- 70% somewhere in middle

English no asssesment yet

General Maths-2nd out of like 55 or so kiddies.
93%

The mark I want is it still gettable if the my marks turn around obviously

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Firstly, what type of marks are those?

Secondly, it is -way- too early in the year to get a prediction based on your marks so far. It is really impossible to accurately predict your UAI during this stage of your HSC. You haven't even had your half-yearlies.

Koray

HSC
Ye having my half yearlies in week 10-11

Legal Studies was worth 10% or 20%

Business Studies 10% or 20%

Maths- 10%

Ancient History 20%

gotta find the assessment schedule ;D

aaaman

Banned
HSC
ill be blunt but honest, u wont get that however i think u will get 70. what do u wanna get into & where?

Koray

HSC
Hehe. I won't get that 70. 70 is a poor mark.

I will probably want to go UOW but time shall tell.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i dont think you will get 86+

people who get these marks go to good schools, get good solid 80+ marks in everything they do and suceed all the time

unless you

a) start getting around 85 now in everything
b) improve on that mark further in the HSC[unlikely]

you arent gonna get that mark, your subjects are pretty shit scaling aswell, might be possible if u had physics, chem and 4U maths chucked in there, but i dont think u will get the mark now. Best to be realistic now,r ather than dissapointed later

if u work hard from now on, study every night you should get in the 80's
you said the marks you want are gettable. what makes you think that? your marks now are nothing to brag about, you are doing average or lower in average or lower subjects
dont think general maths mark will do anything positive for you, it will look good on your HSC but it will contribute nowhere near 90 for your UAI

Last edited:

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
it really depends what school you go to...

jcnghk

HSC
I do Chemistry (top 40% of year group), English Advanced (top 10%), 4 Unit Mathematics (top 40%), Physics (top 25-30%), Economics (top 40%). So far my average is about 80%, and you mentioned marks depends on what school you go to...
Do u think UAI of 95 is achievable?

Last edited:

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
...ANY UAI (or at least a very very high one) is possible with ANY subjects at ANY school as long as you work hard and get good rankings/marks. So don't think you can't get a UAI you want just because you do some "lower" subjects or go to a school ranked 100-200 +..............

Last edited:

classof06

HSC
Because the better your year-group performs collectively in the HSC exams, it is assumed that the competition at that school for better rankings was much tougher than a school that achieves lower marks.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
but it does not gaurantee a higher uai, getting a "high" uai in a lower ranking school is just as easy/hard.

MissyV

HSC
you all should stop worrying so much. you picked the sujects, you work as hard as you can. you really cant do much more than that! seriously dont worry bout the UAI just worry about getting the best marks you can :bomb:

aaaman

Banned
HSC
timobr0 said:
it depends on YOU, not your school and subjects

stfu 06er how dare u question us intelligent and far much superior 05ers u don't know shit about the system as the fucking system hopes u cave into pressure and u fill yourself so that all ur skool friends get 5 uai points

5UAI points>timbr0(what kind of shit name is that)

EDIT: also as this stupid fat wog doesn't know that the uai cut offs are actually a lie. this tool would say that "omg bs the cutoffs are real." they are only real in law and shit that everyone wants to get into. Like i know someone who got a uai of 67 that got into software engineering with a uai of 77. its us 05ers that are much wiser than this fat cunt.

remember

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
timobr0 said:
but it does not gaurantee a higher uai, getting a "high" uai in a lower ranking school is just as easy/hard.
WTF are you talking about?

it isnt just as easy, someone who goes to ssome god aweful place like maquarie fields high is never going to get as good marks as a sefton high kid. Thats because your schools ranking compared to the rest of the state is more important than your individual ranking

e.g i could go to my local gronk school and come 1st in everything, but it doesnt mean shit cause they are all dumb and got around 50, i would actually end up with a much lower uai, even though i have a higher inter-school ranking

so basically you dont know what you are talking about

Lil Miss Dee

HSC
im gonna agree with timobr0 on this one, it depends on u and how hard u work and how well u do. the subjects u do and the school u go to may impact slightly but only very slightly.
besides even if i didnt know that i would still go with timobr0 because he isnt rude like some people..
i hope to get a uai of 95+ :cool:

A l

HSC
N/A
aaaman said:
stfu 06er how dare u question us intelligent and far much superior 05ers u don't know shit about the system as the fucking system hopes u cave into pressure and u fill yourself so that all ur skool friends get 5 uai points

EDIT: also as this stupid fat wog doesn't know that the uai cut offs are actually a lie. this tool would say that "omg bs the cutoffs are real." they are only real in law and shit that everyone wants to get into. Like i know someone who got a uai of 67 that got into software engineering with a uai of 77. its us 05ers that are much wiser than this fat cunt.
According to this post, it appears that you do not know how the system actually works. Also, please cut out the excessive arrogance as it only blackens your name as a student from the class of 2005, rather than promotes it, on the forum.
Serius said:
WTF are you talking about?

it isnt just as easy, someone who goes to ssome god aweful place like maquarie fields high is never going to get as good marks as a sefton high kid. Thats because your schools ranking compared to the rest of the state is more important than your individual ranking

e.g i could go to my local gronk school and come 1st in everything, but it doesnt mean shit cause they are all dumb and got around 50, i would actually end up with a much lower uai, even though i have a higher inter-school ranking

so basically you dont know what you are talking about
You are absolutely incorrect. Unfortunately this is a common myth associated with the school based scaling system. Before I head into the way it really works, think about the credibility of your statements.
First of all there is no set definition or cut off for a "poor performing school" because it is subjective matter. Secondly, the performance of an individual school varies from year to year, so just because one school gets a bad rank in one year, that doesn't mean that it will continue this performance in the next year. Thirdly, there are plenty of people who score extremely high UAIs in low ranked schools. DO NOT MAKE THE ASSUMPTION THAT ALL PEOPLE IN LOWER RANKED SCHOOLS ARE NOT AS ACADEMICALLY ABLE AS THOSE IN HIGHER RANKED SCHOOLS.
Your assumption is that the entire grade will drag you down if you top a lower ranked school, which is not true. A more suitable statement would be that those above you in terms of rankings would have some influence on your final mark. Think about it, if you are doing average in a poor candidature, then your ranking compared to the state should theoretically be low because those above you are low ranked relative to the entire state. If you are doing average in a strong candidature then they your state ranking should theoretically be higher because those above you have a high ranking relative to the state. If you top a weak candidature then you may influence the grade, but they will not influence your marks. If you are average in a strong candidature then you may be influenced by those ranked above you and you may risk dropping your ranks.

Now to the actual process in school assessment calculations:
Your final assessment mark is dependent on your overall rank in the school candidature. When the raw marks are submitted to the Board of Studies, they undergo a process called MODERATING. This is where ALL SCHOOLS IN THE STATE ARE PLACED ON THE SAME SCALE.
How is this done? Well it all depends on your external examination marks. If they are high compared to the state then the assessment marks will be moderated into the high range marks. If they are low compared to the state then the assessment marks will be moderated into the lower range marks. If you top a weak candidature (assuming you hav maintained that rank) then whatever you get in the external exam will be your final HSC mark. This allows all students to be compared to the entire state because everyone does the same external examination. If you are average in a strong candidature then whatever rank you get in the external exam will be compared to your rank in the school and these are averaged. This may lead to large differences between your exam mark and your assessment mark.
Every school has different standards and these DO NOT correspond to their overall rankings. Lower ranked schools do not necessarily set lower standards than higher ranked schools. This moderation process eliminates differences in difficulty in school based assessment tasks and places all candidates in a state-wide ranking system.
Therefore, being in high ranked school does not guarantee you higher marks and being a low ranked school does not guarantee you lower marks. Theoretically you should get more or less the same final mark in any school. The only thing that may change your intital rankings is external and environmental factors which vary from person to person and this has nothing to do with the moderating system.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
aaaman said:

remember

this post clearly indicates your superior intelligence - im sure everyone agrees

Last edited:

Koray

HSC
AI hit the nail on the head.

And some people are to stupid to answer a simple question.

I didn't ask if I am smart enough to get that mark I asked if the marks get more consistent is it achievable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)