Achieve a band six when failing maths? (1 Viewer)

Skriker

HSC
Just wondering say if someone is just passing in maths say getting like 50% do you reackon they can achieve a band 5 or 6 if they studied like 2 hours a maths doing hsc questions and reviewing over there work from this time to the HSC period?

what are your thoughts? :)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering say if someone is just passing in maths say getting like 50% do you reackon they can achieve a band 5 or 6 if they studied like 2 hours a maths doing hsc questions and reviewing over there work from this time to the HSC period?

what are your thoughts? :)

just to let you know 2hours of maths is not enough. if you want band 5 or 6 ,, YOU have to work hard and be desperate for it.

im rank 15/30 in a school in the 200's and im failing similar marks to you.

but im doing 4-6hrs of efficient maths a day which is hell of alot prep for HSC..

enoilgam

HSC
just to let you know 2hours of maths is not enough. if you want band 5 or 6 ,, YOU have to work hard and be desperate for it.
This. In saying that, your internal performance is based on rankings, so theoretically it is possible to fail internally and get a band 5 or 6 in Maths if your ranked highly and your teachers have set insanely hard tests. However, it is very unlikely.

powlmao

Banned
HSC

but im doing 4-6hrs of efficient maths a day which is hell of alot prep for HSC..
You better be doing 4U

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

I lol'd very hard.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Spending all your time on maths will not help you do well in the hsc...
I doubt he does anything near that much.

~30mins a day is decent for maths, maybe a hour if you don't get everything (imo)

SpreadTheWord

HSC
OP: Of course you can achieve a band 6. It's not about the hours you do, but it is your understanding. It could just take 30-45 mins a day to consolidate this understanding. Also, don't be quick to blame it on the amount of hours you study, because at the end of the day, it could be your efficiency. Review, and think, before you act.

tambam

HSC
I doubt he does anything near that much.

~30mins a day is decent for maths, maybe a hour if you don't get everything (imo)
Depends how well you want to go, and how much you need to improve i guess.
Right now until the hsc, im just gna do an hsc/trial paper a day. (I do 3units)
So that's like 2 hours a day, but mostly just to train myself to stop making silly mistakes.

But OP, since you're getting 50%, it seems like you probably don't grasp basic concepts.
So sign yourself up for this: http://www.mathsonline.com.au/
Do a few lessons a day, and make sure you understand all the basics (which is pretty much what 2u is all about).
If you can get basically all the first 8-9 questions right, even if you can't do the harder stuff you COULD get a band 6, but most likely be able to get a band 5.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Spending all your time on maths will not help you do well in the hsc...
no your incorrect.maths is my weakest subject and yes it needs hell of alot improvement.. so thats why im putting most of my time into it... and no i don't spend all my time on maths =.= i use my time wisely and i try pretty hard so don't critisize what im doing.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Depends how well you want to go, and how much you need to improve i guess.
Right now until the hsc, im just gna do an hsc/trial paper a day. (I do 3units)
So that's like 2 hours a day, but mostly just to train myself to stop making silly mistakes.

But OP, since you're getting 50%, it seems like you probably don't grasp basic concepts.
So sign yourself up for this: http://www.mathsonline.com.au/
Do a few lessons a day, and make sure you understand all the basics (which is pretty much what 2u is all about).
If you can get basically all the first 8-9 questions right, even if you can't do the harder stuff you COULD get a band 6, but most likely be able to get a band 5.
I agree with you. 2 is good before the main HSC, but 6hrs a day is stupid.

SpreadTheWord

HSC

Yeah, and how much of that is actually effective study. 1-2 hours? If you do, then your a mug.

tambam

HSC
no your incorrect.maths is my weakest subject and yes it needs hell of alot improvement.. so thats why im putting most of my time into it... and no i don't spend all my time on maths =.= i use my time wisely and i try pretty hard so don't critisize what im doing.
No, as in maths is only 1/5 of your entire hsc.
When you get home from school you pretty much only have 6 hours, so that is pretty much spending ALL your time on maths.
So yes, by all means prioritise maths if you want to improve, but not to the point where you neglect all your other subjects.
Success in maths is predominantly about building a strong foundation and grasping concepts, not just doing a lot of questions.
Sorry, i'm not trying to criticise or come across as arrogant, i'm just saying it sounds a bit unwise.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes i respect what you're saying and it may seem unwise for me doing this but i started doing this after trials since my marks were so poor.. I use to do about 2-3hrs on maths before trials on maths. But like i said i spend 4-6 hrs on maths which means im not necessarily doing 6hrs always =.=.. probably on school days i do 4 which includes doing a pastpaper and also revising some topics... and weekends i do about 6 since i have so much time available.and im not neglecting other subjects btw, i am balancing it out very well and have been achieving fair good results for them so far

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your HSC result is 50% external and 50% internal. Band 6 is 90. We can see this relationship very simply via an example.

If your moderated school assessment mark is less than 80 then it is impossible for you to get a Band 6. If you are FAILING maths in school then it is nigh impossible for you to even get a moderated school assessment mark of 80.

PLUS, even if your school assessment mark is 80 - you still have to get 100, i.e. state rank status, to even get Band 6.

The calculation is very simple: 80 + 100 / 2 = 90 --> Band 6.

So I don't even see the point of this thread, to be honest.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Your HSC result is 50% external and 50% internal. Band 6 is 90. We can see this relationship very simply via an example.

If your moderated school assessment mark is less than 80 then it is impossible for you to get a Band 6. If you are FAILING maths in school then it is nigh impossible for you to even get a moderated school assessment mark of 80.

PLUS, even if your school assessment mark is 80 - you still have to get 100, i.e. state rank status, to even get Band 6.

The calculation is very simple: 80 + 100 / 2 = 90 --> Band 6.

So I don't even see the point of this thread, to be honest.
This is all true, but remember, 90% isn't necessarily the cut off for a band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)