• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

acturial studies (im in 12) (2 Viewers)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
whose "we"?
i kept an eye out for grizzly bears but still cant find u =p
I so look like a grizzly bear, comon, ...! :p

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
bigredboof said:
Hi All,

Id just like to tell of my experience. Im doing actuarial studies, and finished High School in 2002.
I knew i would hate uni full time (and did) when I started, and knew i would rather be working. For the first semster of 2003 i was at uni full time and hated it. Hence once the semster finished i started looking for a job in an Investment Company to kickstart my career. (note this is not a scholarship or cadetship, it is purely working) I was able to get an entry level role in Australia's largest investment bank and i havn't looked back. Sure, this is my second year of uni, still finishing first year subjects (as i work full time and go to uni part time doing two subjects) however the experience I gain there is alot more valuable to me.
As this was an entry level role, your not competing against many people like a grad role, and you can prove yourself as you continue working.

Also for all actuaries, my work is not related to actuarial studies, however if you enter the finance arena, i feel any knowledge is priceless!! Plus, there are a few fully qualified actuaries I know of at my company, none of which work as "actuaries", rather use their actuarial skills instead in their roles and they are absolutely flyin'.

So thats just a couple of thing to think about, and possibly another avenue to take. The only prob is finding a company who will allow flexibility in hours as from 2nd year onwards, ACST subjects are pretty much all day subjects.
wow u sound pretty much SET!

so this entry level role, are they applicable to any candidates or you have be chosen to get an interview?

Having only completed one year, are you paid to actually do work or just learn and gain knowledge of the industry because I can understand with something like accounting which is probably easier than finance so wouldn't the work be hard?

bigredboof

HSC
well none of uz are prob in my lectures coz im behind......

"wow u sound pretty much SET!

so this entry level role, are they applicable to any candidates or you have be chosen to get an interview?

Having only completed one year, are you paid to actually do work or just learn and gain knowledge of the industry because I can understand with something like accounting which is probably easier than finance so wouldn't the work be hard?"

Sorry I don't know how to do QUOTES!!!
Well it was an entry level role when I started but ive already moved up.
Yes they are applicable to all people, obviouslky with an interest in finance. You do have to go through the interview process though!!! (at least 2 interviews and psych testing depending on which company you go for)
Yes im paid to work, and as my company is all for learning, they pay for my subjects once i pass them!!
The work isn't too hard, but this depends on what type of entry role you get.
As actuaries are bright little cookies, (or suppose to be), I found my initial work being heaps boring, and hardly used my brain, which was actually reall annoying, but this is how entry level roles are, then you can prove yourself and move up!!!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
[/QUOTE=bigredboof]
" ... "
[/QUOTE]

Thats how to quote..but remove the first / from [/QUOTE=nickanme]

wow, they pay your fee when you pass your subject ?! Thats soo coool... :D

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Well, if your an apprenctice and study at TAFE i think thats what your employer does.
As good as a scholarship !

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
ok ok i know u guys are always like it's all about demand and whatnot, but seriously can't u at least guess slightly what the uai cut-off for acst cud be next year.

it's been 96.05 96.10 96.80 97.25 right, so what could it go to? more than 98?
the rises were .05, .70 and .45 so can somebody give me at least a range or something to set as a guaranteed mk for entry into this course.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
kunny funt said:
ok ok i know u guys are always like it's all about demand and whatnot, but seriously can't u at least guess slightly what the uai cut-off for acst cud be next year.

it's been 96.05 96.10 96.80 97.25 right, so what could it go to? more than 98?
the rises were .05, .70 and .45 so can somebody give me at least a range or something to set as a guaranteed mk for entry into this course.

well how guaranteed do you wanna be?
i'd say if u get 98, then that's prolly gonna be enuff.

Mein

HSC
N/A
Well I do ACST w/ Computer Science, have been out basically every Thursday, Friday and Saturday this year, rarely went to tuts in the first semester, didn't goto any Computer lectures first semester, and have a GPA of just under a credit (which I'm told I should try and raise).

To be honest I've probably slackened off too much, but it certainly is possible to still lead a healthy social life and survive in this course. Though having said that, I'm pretty screwed for this 2nd semester :|

It's certainly within your ability if you make it into this course and work consistently. I have totally slackened off and am still surviving, but I wouldn't reccomend you take this path. I'm actually thinking of splitting my 2nd year over two years to make it more relaxed.

Also if you do get a high UAI, don't expect to still be at the top of the class if you slacken off. I got one of the highest UAIs out of people doing this course (and please don't take this as a self claim, take it as a warning), but I would definitely be in the lower half of the candidates.

ACST is basically what you make it. I find it pretty dry and thus get distracted from doing study (like now for example), but if you work hard, it certainly isn't tricky.

Good luck!

CloudStrife

HSC
yeh I agree with Mein....doesn't matter what course....DON'T SLACK OFF.....

btw, i thought I was the only acst/comp person with GPA lower than a credit......

about entry marks.....if u tink u got a chance of getting in...leave it in preferences... i didn't think i'd get into actuary/comp, but entry mark dropped to my UAI....

Last edited:

aditya

HSC
actuarial studies... sigh, im gonna do accounting and finance.... it seems like a better life, sure u might not earn millions but wat the heck, u get a much better lifestyle, same work environemnt - although it might not be as good as making trillion dollar deals - i would be satisfied.. without a doubt.... =) and there's always postgrad courses ;)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
CloudStrife said:
btw, i thought I was the only acst/comp person with GPA lower than a credit......
My accg100 pal leader (james) doing acst/comp science has a gpa of 4.0...*sigh*

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
aditya said:
actuarial studies... sigh, im gonna do accounting and finance.... it seems like a better life, sure u might not earn millions but wat the heck, u get a much better lifestyle, same work environemnt - although it might not be as good as making trillion dollar deals - i would be satisfied.. without a doubt.... =) and there's always postgrad courses ;)
lol, i would think accounting and finance would be the ones "making" the trillion dollar deals :p...just not earning it =D

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
no u couldnt :p....
btw; wot is the starting wage for acst'er grads....in general

how bout like, merchants or acct's etc ?

flamin'

Grizzly said:
My accg100 pal leader (james) doing acst/comp science has a gpa of 4.0...*sigh*
Yea.. I know two other comp cobined people with GPAs of 4.0 Then there are the ruse guys who are like all GPA 4.0 doing applied combined.

flamin'

Grizzly said:
no u couldnt :p....
btw; wot is the starting wage for acst'er grads....in general

how bout like, merchants or acct's etc ?
I think if you can get an overseas package you can earn a lot more than here. I would guess around 40-50k.... only because as a summer job I'm earning 800 a week... so as a graduate it would be round the same.

Edit: But with anything it depends how good you are. If you are super smart at the stuff... like top top top stuff... you will be paid a lot more coz you are more capable. Not all acst people are that smart. Or - especially in consultation - you probably need to be a very good talker and comunicator and likeable to be able to earn more.

Last edited:

bigredboof

HSC
Originally Posted by aditya
actuarial studies... sigh, im gonna do accounting and finance.... it seems like a better life, sure u might not earn millions but wat the heck, u get a much better lifestyle, same work environemnt - although it might not be as good as making trillion dollar deals - i would be satisfied.. without a doubt.... =) and there's always postgrad courses
I dont really know about the accountants and a better lifestyle. At my work, they are the last ones to leave!!! At month end, half year end and year end, they prob work till 11 at night and come back at 8 the next morning!!!

bigredboof

HSC
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I think if you can get an overseas package you can earn a lot more than here. I would guess around 40-50k.... only because as a summer job I'm earning 800 a week... so as a graduate it would be round the same.
Geez, 800 a week for summer school!! Thats really good! wheres that at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)