• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

acturial studies (im in 12) (4 Viewers)

flamin'

Its a summer vacation job as an actuarial. 800 is at the top end of the scale for summer vac i think. I know another guy who is getting 200 dollars less a week... and a guy going to honk kong working for 5 dollars an hour (Au$) LOL

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flamin' said:
Yea.. I know two other comp cobined people with GPAs of 4.0 Then there are the ruse guys who are like all GPA 4.0 doing applied combined.
I think my pal leader went to NorthSydneyboys....
but yea....

starting wage 40 or 50k....thats not too bad, i reckon average for any comm/eco grad would be around 35-40..

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
lol yup, how'd u know "she" ! omg perrvert :p

name = christine , yeah ?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
nah ur pal leader, james w went to sydney tech.

bigredboof, we got the vac job with tillinghast software solutions. formerly known as classic solutions b4 towers perrin tillinghast bought it.

and we juz got invitations to their annual dinner! how mad is dat! we havent even started working for them. w00t! And they're like the best vac work place ino... higher wages AND we work the full 3 months!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
sounds mad .... wot firm is this ? website ?

Do they have like, 3RD year ACST students there ?

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
when you apply to these firms, do you guys just call them up and say ur looking for a summer job or send them an application or somthing, how is it done?
is it up to the person, or the uni has connections?

flamin'

Well it pretty much starts with ASSOC unless you already know industry contacts. ASSOC lets you get industry contacts.

Edit: Then there are plenty of advertisements of job ops around... and so you just apply simple.

And there are no 3rd year Acst students there.

You are better off applying for smaller firms to get summer vac. Big firms are much harder to get in... smaller firms or firms that don't advertise directly will be easier.

Last edited:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Grizzly said:
sounds mad .... wot firm is this ? website ?

Do they have like, 3RD year ACST students there ?
i juz said wot firm in the post above
tillinghast software solutions. it's the actuarial modelling division of tillinghast

http://www.towersperrin.com/tillinghast/

kunny funt, u apply for them in most cases. and there are hundreds of ppl u gotta compete with. kinda similar to coops. but the one me and flamin' got was a little bit different in that i met one of the interviewers at an actuarial student society (ASSOC) event called meet the professionals night. I was the project manager of that event, and I think she was impressed by how the thing was carried out. So she told me to apply for their summer vac job. Then I told flamin' who was my assistant project manager and he wanted in too. Next thing we know we both got interview offers. During interview, the panel said they had alot of applicants, but only gonna interview 3 coz they're busy. And then they hired me and flamin'. You kinda feel sorry for the 3rd unsuccessful guy..he had a 2/3 chance!

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
WEBCT said:
ACST201
For non-actuarial students the unit which follows on from ACST101 is ACST201 Financial Techniques, Instruments and Markets.
Actuarial students enrol in ACST200 Mathematics of Finance.
CLASS TEST 3
The average mark for non-actuarial students was 6.0 out of 10.
The average mark for actuarial students was 8.1 out of 10.
Solutions are at the bottom of the Class Test and Final Exam solutions page.
CLASS TEST 2
The average mark for non-actuarial students was 5.5 out of 10.
The average mark for actuarial students was 7.9 out of 10.
The pass mark would be about 5.0 out of 10.
CLASS TEST 1
The average mark for non-actuarial students was 6.2 out of 10.
The average mark for actuarial students was 8.4 out of 10.
The pass mark would be about 5.5 out of 10. Does this mean, that for us non-acst students doing 101, are we treated separately in terms of awarding P,Cr,D,HD for final marks ?
i.e, are SNG kept separate b/w non acst and acst students ?
(just wanna know my chances of geting a P thats all :p)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
But like, its obvious that acst students would do far better overall than non-acst'ers
Thats like, mark discrimination :(...tougher competition...*sigh* shoulda picked it in semseter1

flamin'

Yea if you do it in semester one, you probably have a better chance of getting a higher mark. Just compare the merit list for ACST101 in semester 1 and 2 (2003) - in semester 2 the top 10 are pretty much all ACST people.... in semester 1, there's only like 2 in there

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
yeah sux :(

but, u'd have more 1st year ppl doing it SEM1 than in SM2 ... (i think theres about 700 in sm2)..so youd have MORE competition anyway..just not as bright :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
hey man...at least u dont have to compete wiv actuarial students in every bloody subject u do *sigh*

it fully kills ur self esteem

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Are we talking about this ruse guy whose like, finished (or nearly) and works for the acst department nows ??

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
this brian guy is like walking genuis, catches my bus yeah....i try to absorb his smartness aurora... :eek:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
errr...no he's not genius...like flamin' would prolly cain him...
but wiv dat said..he's found himself an excellent job package overseas and im totally jealous!!!!!!!

we got 2 yrs to out do him....but cant c dat happening

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
asia overseas ?
sigh, pity im a english only speaker
alought i prefer to work in the usa :p (despite crappy job security)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
ye asia.
man juz finking about his package pisses me off. its like the feeling u get wen u buy a lotto ticket and u start finking about wot u wanna buy if u win.
2 yrs!! *brian has set the new bar*

work in america aye. hehe. i'd rather work for an american firm based in asia. imagine 3 or 4 yrs in hardcore actuarial, den goto america and get shot or bombed or sumfin coming outer an airport.....dats like max pwnage!

edit:
flyin' said:
i think you'd have other things to worry about besides "job" security... =p
ye..i fink he meant job "security" :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)