• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Adam and Eve or Evolution? (1 Viewer)

Adam and Eve or Evolution?

• Creationism

Votes: 64 15.5%
  • Evolution

Votes: 255 61.6%
  • Both

Votes: 68 16.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 27 6.5%

• Total voters

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Fuck. People are stupid. Before you are baptised you should go through a mandatory course in theology.

Not even Christians advocate that Adam and Eve were physical human beings. The entire point of the creation story and the story of Adam and Eve is symbolic, in that, from God all life is formed. Therefore the story of Adam and Eve is not contradictorary of evolution thoery, all it suggests is that all life and matter in this world stems from God, or a higher life.

Also, religion is a faith. Science is a theory. You cannot debate within two indelibly different forms.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
Apparently, statistics shows that 67% of Americans believe that God created the Earth in Seven days and Adam and Eve were vthe first two people on the Earth...
In case Iraq wasnt definative enough for you, AMERICANS ARE FUCKING STUPID CONSERVATIVE RELIGIOUS GITS.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Asquithian said:
Not stupid. Just conservative, blindly patriotic and religious.
I maintain stupid. Voting in a president like Bush renders any nation stupid.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Asquithian said:
Why do you believe? Because it says so in the Koran?
because i am muslim
and thats what i believe
and i follow the koran
because i put my trust in Allah
and to me its clear that the koran is true
and thats what faith is
the belief in something..
i put my faith in God and the Koran
so yeah..because thats what it says in the koran
what other reason would i have?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i am muslim because i was bought up muslim
then when i started to question my faith i realised islam is the right religon for me

i believe in the koran and follow it because its the book of islam
because i am muslim so i follow the koran?

i put my trust in Allah and believe the koran is true because i am a muslim..
a believer
whats a believer if they dont trust their religon and God?
its a personal feeling..its in your heart and..some people just have it in them

and yes faith is the belief in something
islam..for me..

Last edited:

firehose

HSC
absolution* said:
Fuck. People are stupid. Before you are baptised you should go through a mandatory course in theology.

Not even Christians advocate that Adam and Eve were physical human beings. The entire point of the creation story and the story of Adam and Eve is symbolic, in that, from God all life is formed. Therefore the story of Adam and Eve is not contradictorary of evolution thoery, all it suggests is that all life and matter in this world stems from God, or a higher life.

Also, religion is a faith. Science is a theory. You cannot debate within two indelibly different forms.

I reckon. God created all things, and that includes all of us. Contrary to what most might think, Religion and Science in many ways compliment each other, because in a sense we evolved as humans to become the way we are

as for that humans evolved from apes and the universe was created with some weird bang, noooooo......

alien

HSC
beccaxx said:
depends who is portraying them.
i think ppl are beginning to realise that Jesus isnt the white man they envisioned him as, he prob looked like osama! and slowly, those closed minded white ppl are beginning to realise its most likely, that seein as white ppl make up such a small percentage of the population, and considering the locations within which the biblical events occured, that the biblical characters are not the white stereotypes we illustrate them as
no Jesus was of Jewish blood not Arabic. there's a difference so he wouldn't have looked like osama. look at israelis, do they look like osama? they're of the same blood line.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
ahem,, the jews u look at today are not the same semetic people of jesus' time

the diaspora allowed their race to transform in different areas of the globe

there are african jews- black like any other,
azkenazi jews- in poland etc , white like eastern eurpoeans
and this other jewish group i forgot wats it called,

they have all changed because very few jews chose to stay in jerusalem after it was destroyed (almost) in 70 AD.

plus, there were many jewish groups in the "cannaaaaan" so that adds a bit of variety to it too.

yes he was of jewish blood though, ironically (if i may say so)
the jews and arab have a common semetic ancestry which is said to be traced to abraham

:) a little history lesson :)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Asquithian said:
Why do you believe? Because it says so in the Koran?
A mulsim has complte trust in the Quran... along with the fact that it has'nt been altered since it was sent down to the prophet muhammad (pecae be upon him).. from Allah through the angel Gabriel....

our prophet muhgammad (peace be upon him).. was described by his wife as being 'A walking Quran"... based on the fact that his actions and life when looked upon.. it was as though u were reading pages from the Quran...

The Quran is what our lives are based on... and because it says so in the Quran, is basically a more than enough reason for us....no questions asked...

malkin86

HSC
Where's "don't care"? Or Adam and Steve? Or Eve and Amy? ;)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Neither Evolution nor Creationism!
Panspermia is the answer!

.....Angels and Demons is an excellent read......

Pianpupodoel

Neurotic Member
HSC
how does one explain the existence of homo neanderthalensis, homo erectus and also the new discovery of our tiny cousins, homo floresiensis?

Would religious people consider them as 'humans', created 'in God's image'?

or not? And, if so, why not?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Pianpupodoel said:
how does one explain the existence of homo neanderthalensis, homo erectus and also the new discovery of our tiny cousins, homo floresiensis?

Would religious people consider them as 'humans', created 'in God's image'?

or not? And, if so, why not?
For open minded people:

Indeedy =x I wholeheartly support his arguement.. but I find it impossible to discuss evolutionism with people who believes in creationalism.. They always try to critise our break-down approach and they will keep asking questions like - "egg came first or chicken came first" (obviously egg because reptiles were there first..)

Why cannot the most primitive organism have existed by chance? But instead insist on the fact there is a creator?

Kierkegaard

HSC
Why are you a Muslim?
Because I believe in the Koran.
Why do you believe in the Koran?
Because I'm a Muslim.

That's called a circular argument (begging the question). You could just as easily say:

Why are you a chicken?
Because I have feathers.
What makes you think that you have feathers?
Because I believe that I'm a chicken.
-------------------------------------------------------

Well, I accept that the theory of evolution is an empirical theory, backed by observable and verifiable evidence. Creationism cannot be falsified, so it's not even a valid scientific theory. Even if it were a valid science, I'd still rule in favour of evolution, for its superior empirical backing.

Pace Setter

Neither of these theories are too convincing.

Given what we (don't) know about DNA/genes, etc, evolution commits post hoc fallacy within it's basic idea that evolution has occured since the dawn of species until the present (and into the future).

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
There ish no fallacy in because we, scientists, know that it's a theory..

On the other hand, those who don't know or those who have other believes are immediately disgusted at our theory because of their predisposed believes that were written down by (according to my opinion) great philosophers..

People whoes religion advocates creationalism usually immediately knock evolutionalism down by saying that there is a god who created everything - and everything that happens is planned, organised and designed by this one god. That is very convincing... *inserts sarcasm*

I personally think that the good side of any religion was created by human to comfort other beings during the hard times.. And I propose that the bad side of it is that, the appearance of religions was because it can control people.. This is a particularly appealing thing back in those days when education is not widely available and there were wars and people live in fear.. Wouldn't you go for a spiritual soruce for help if you were in that position? Anyone would..

Pace Setter

Whether it's a theory or a law, logical fallacies apply either way. Not acknowledging the fallacy (whilst at the same time not explaining why it's not a fallacy) is a bit perplexing.

mitochondria said:
On the other hand, those who don't know or those who have other believes are immediately disgusted at our theory because of their predisposed believes that were written down by (according to my opinion) great philosophers..
Whilst many who provide dismissals based on comprehensive evidence of various logical fallacies as well as other (similar but not official fallacies of logic) problems with Darwin's argument (no, I'm not talking about the "god created everything, therefore you're wrong argument") and are generally met with pig-headedness and a stubborness not dissimilar to that of many religious fanatics.

mitochondria said:
People whoes religion advocates creationalism usually immediately knock evolutionalism down by saying that there is a god who created everything - and everything that happens is planned, organised and designed by this one god. That is very convincing... *inserts sarcasm*
Generalisations (about ones who believe in creationalism) like that are needless (my paragraph above demonstrates the vice-versa case).

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Religions that advocate creationalisms do not knock evolution, the Pope himself talked about how evolution can be true. Saying there is a God that created everything doesnt necessarily mean evolution could not have taken place

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
acmilan said:
Religions that advocate creationalisms do not knock evolution, the Pope himself talked about how evolution can be true. Saying there is a God that created everything doesnt necessarily mean evolution could not have taken place
No, but it does relegate said god to Ultimate Creator of the Universe status... which essentially rules him/her... it out entirely. He is just another name for, say, the Big Bang.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)