• Both

Votes: 68 16.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 27 6.5%

• Total voters

beentherdunthat

HSC
scarybunny said:
Therefore creationism is wrong, or God decided to put dinosaur skeletons in the ground for shits and giggles.
Or god created dinosaurs. Which caesed to exist for some kind of natural disaster. And hence we have skeletons?

Dude comeon.

To tell you the truth, i find evolution rather interesting. But a bit dodgy. There's transitional fossils for some categories and not for others. Even the scientists admit that's a little weird. If evolution really occured. we should expect to see many MORE transitional fossils.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Well it's completely internally consistent at least

The world is 6000 years old, everything that we perceive to be older was created that way :D
Haha God created the world, and some bits he wanted new, but others he favoured the antique, eroded look. He also gave humans something to play with by putting all these interesting fossils in the ground, and he hoped that one day they'd collect the whole set.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Or god created dinosaurs. Which caesed to exist for some kind of natural disaster. And hence we have skeletons?

Dude comeon.

To tell you the truth, i find evolution rather interesting. But a bit dodgy. There's transitional fossils for some categories and not for others. Even the scientists admit that's a little weird. If evolution really occured. we should expect to see many MORE transitional fossils.
Howcome there are no dinosaurs and humans together? How come we don't exist in the fossil record until very recently? The bible suggests that everything was created at the same time, so we should all be in the record together. But we're not, so it's wrong. I guess you could say "God created the big bang" but that's not really creationism.

ALSO it is not at all weird that we have transitional fossils for some things and not for others. Most skeletons are completely destroyed, because special conditions need to exist to preserve them. Squishy animals don't preserve well. Hard-shelled animals do, as well as animals which live in environments where their dead bodies would be quickly covered with sediment. And we do have a good record of shelly animals and swampy animals.

And you can say "we need more evidence for evolution" but there is absolutely nothing going for creationism at all. Zero evidence. The same amount of evidence exists for the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
How come there are no dinosaurs and humans together? How come we don't exist in the fossil record until very recently?
Because the dinosaurs ate the humans. Duh [Source: Jurasic Park]
I believe in Adam and Steve,- only because I really don't like the idea that my distant ancestors picked at their bums and ate the byproduct.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
scarybunny said:
Howcome there are no dinosaurs and humans together? How come we don't exist in the fossil record until very recently? The bible suggests that everything was created at the same time, so we should all be in the record together. But we're not, so it's wrong. I guess you could say "God created the big bang" but that's not really creationism.

ALSO it is not at all weird that we have transitional fossils for some things and not for others. Most skeletons are completely destroyed, because special conditions need to exist to preserve them. Squishy animals don't preserve well. Hard-shelled animals do, as well as animals which live in environments where their dead bodies would be quickly covered with sediment. And we do have a good record of shelly animals and swampy animals.

And you can say "we need more evidence for evolution" but there is absolutely nothing going for creationism at all. Zero evidence. The same amount of evidence exists for the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory.
Go back and read my previous post, you're not following what I meant

The universe was created more or less as we see it now, 6000 years ago.

So the layers of dirt and bones were created the way they are; there weren't any humans or dinosaurs together because the universe didn't exist at the time when scientists believed dinosaurs existed (from 100 to 60 million years ago)

There were no dinosaurs, just what we call dinosaur fossils which were created more or less where we found them.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Go back and read my previous post, you're not following what I meant

The universe was created more or less as we see it now, 6000 years ago.

So the layers of dirt and bones were created the way they are; there weren't any humans or dinosaurs together because the universe didn't exist at the time when scientists believed dinosaurs existed (from 100 to 60 million years ago)

There were no dinosaurs, just what we call dinosaur fossils which were created more or less where we found them.
Yeah I replied to your post differently. Dinosaur bones are like treasure hunt items God put in the ground to give us something to collect.

Or eat, if you're chinese.

RedZenith

HSC
Both, but Adam and Eve were gay so we had to start over again.

TIANA Z

HSC
Unfortunately, we'll never really know the truth about this!

Personally, I believe there is a God and he created Earth and all living things.
But many things have evolved over time, due to natural causes.
I believe in destiny, and everything happens for a reason.

If only everyone on Earth could be genuinely nice and help each other, then the world would be a better and happy place.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If you're right then we will 'really know the truth about this'... I doubt you really, truly believe you'll be going to heaven otherwise such a statement would be incongruent.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
beentherdunthat said:

Dude comeon.

Bullshit. Do you know just HOW many factors have to coincide for a skeleton to successfully fossilise? And just HOW lucky a palaentologist has to be to FIND these fossils?

We've only been digging fossils out of the ground for a couple hundred years. The transitional fossils are there - we just haven't FOUND them yet. Transitional whale fossils, for example, were only found in the last handful of decades!

RedZenith

HSC
Why did god make humans imperfect? Is he some sick twisted kid having fun with his toys? Oh... wait, no that's impossible, because God IS Perfect, so he can't be twisted.
Contradiction => Humans don't exist, QED.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
ummm a question
who wrote the bible?? (just curious)

and as for adam/eve or evolution
EVOLUTION all the way *nods*

perestroika

HSC
I favour the evolutionary model for several reasons

1) The Earth is geologically far older (millions of yrs) than the Bible suggests it is.

2) Fossil evidence (ie. dinosuars) suggests there were species living on Earth long before humanity. The Bible suggests humans were created at the same time as other animals.

3) Genetic and anatomical similarities between humans and other species suggest links to a common ancestor. DNA analyses suggest chimpanzees shared the nearest common ancestor to humans.

4) All species of animals and plants show anatomical adaptions to their unique environment. For instance, trees in Australia have narrow, hard leaves which prevent water loss. This is an adaption to australias hot, dry climate. Trees in rainforest areas have broad leaves.

5) Fossil evidence indicates there were earlier forms of humans (ie. cavemen)that were simialar yet anatomically distinct for modern day people.

6) People from Northern Europe have light skin, hair and eyes whereas people from Southern areas have darker attributes. This is an adaption to temperature and conditions.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
dwarven said:
ummm a question
who wrote the bible?? (just curious)

and as for adam/eve or evolution
EVOLUTION all the way *nods*

The question of who wrote the Bible is not an easy one to answer. But I think it's important to at least know some of the key basics about the broader cultural contexts in which the Old and New Testament's were written. The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew with some Aramaic, though it would be translated into Greek later on. The Old Testament was a collection of writings that was central to the religious, legal and social life of the ancient Hebrews and had been written and compiled well before the birth of Jesus. The New Testament, by contrast, was written after the birth of Jesus and in the common Greek language of the Eastern Mediterranean, which was part of the Roman Empire. It sought, particularly through the synoptic gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, to historicise Jesus and to show that he was the fulfillment of the prophetic tradition contained within the Old Testament. The writings of both Luke (in Acts of the Apostles) and Paul in the New Testament sought also to express the universality of Christianity; salvation was open to all who accepted Christ, and was no longer confined to the Hebrews.

Now, I just don't understand how Christian fundamentalists believe they can defend the position that the Bible is the infallible word of God. It strikes me as pure bibliolatry. It's very clear that the Bible was written by human beings within a particular historical and cultural context. It makes me cringe to think that people, reading their bad translations mind you, would take what's written in the book literally and apply it to today's society. Take exorcisms, for example. The gospels are full of them, but how many educated Christians today truly believe in them? How many educated Christians (if we disregard Charismatics) today actually believe in glossolalia (speaking in tongues)? Has the Holy Spirit alighted a tongue of flame above your head lately?!? I mean, come on!

Intelligent design should NOT be taught in science class, because it is not a scientific position. Teach it in religious studies class, discuss it in philosophy class, but don't try and pass it off as science. I'm sick of hearing about your watchmaker. I would be more inclined to read the story of Adam and Eve from a literary perspective, and that it is an allegory - an allegory which expresses the idea of the fallen nature of humankind - expressing the idea that human beings are inherently 'sinful'. By this I mean that human beings have an undeniable compulsion to commit 'sin', not that human beings are innately shameful or dirty, as some people read it. I think this is a way of reading the story, but I nonetheless don't think the idea is either particularly truthful or particularly constructive, in case you were wondering.

So, in my honest opinion - Evolution pwns Adam and Eve in science class for reasons which should be obvious to everyone with functioning cognition.

HalcyonSky

HSC
15% of bos'ers believe in adam and eve? lol.

Perestroika pretty much summed up why evolution is clearly the more plausible option.
Creationism in the traditional sense is outright naive and its astounding that anyone in todays age could cling on to the belief that we all populated from "adam and eve", despite all the solid evidence against it.

The real questions of our origins (without dwelling into the big bang conundruum) lie in how the first stromtalites came into existence, and how there seems to be a higher knowledge within evolutionary progress, ie how the hell did organisms first develop eyes? with no knowledge of what light is or how it works, and no preconception of how to perceive it, they just happened to progressively spawn one of the most complex and perfect structures of nature?

By the way, accept the truth of the TIME CUBE or you are EVIL. Just like google.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
KFunk said:
Come on everyone. Embrace the truth:

JC tames dinosaur.
What is this, Dinotopia? ;)

TIANA Z said:
Unfortunately, we'll never really know the truth about this!
Uh, no. Unfortunately you'll never know the truth because it's already been presented to you and you've clearly missed it.

Personally, I believe there is a God and he created Earth and all living things.
But many things have evolved over time, due to natural causes.
I believe in destiny, and everything happens for a reason.
What the fuck? You can't just believe in evolution for one half and not the other! Evolution is one seamless integration and the first living things were kin to viruses - not alive by today's standards.

On that note, what was big almighty's reason for creating viruses eh? "Oh I'm a big fat tub of lard and I'm oh so bored. I know! I'll release a few dozen strains of deadly plagues onto the planet. Those oughta entertain me for at least a few million years! Oh shit, the mammals are forming communities and growing intelligent. Fuck why didn't I renew my anti-virus subscription."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)