• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

olli!

HSC
Hey guys

Digging up this thread again. Applications opened again today, and I sent my one in for the earliest 2010 intake. My first choice was as a soldier. Who else is applying?

A question for some of the guys who've already been through it: what can I expect from now, will there be followup assessments throughout the year in terms of physical performance etc?

cheers,
olli

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Juat signed up as well.
Anyone know how many people make it?

hsteele

HSC
hey guys

im new to this site and i was tossing up between going into the reserves or doing the gap year. if anyone knows wat either is like can you let me know. also cany u get deployed on peacekeeping missions as i want to either be a commando or rifle man thanks:)

Tim_107

HSC
i applied on monday,filled out the forms, said they'd get back to me by friday, hoping it comes before then as i'm going away, i applied as a combat eng in the RAAF, then RAN and ARA.

2 of my mates have done or are doing the gap year in army and navy, the one in the army did it 2008 and has joined full time, while the navy one is doing it this year. Said it was awesome.

Hsteele, from what i know technically they can deploy you, but the minimum training (for soldiers who do go into combat) is 2 years, so if they did, it wouldn't be responsible on their behalf (if u did go to combat situations like in Iraq and Afghanistan) but they said if u did go, it would be to countries in the south Pacific, East Timor i think, but correct me if i'm wrong. But i'd assume ur role would be very limited.

As for the numbers SylvesterBr, navy and air force its like just over 100, and army is 250, or around there.
Olli- from what i know, theres a YOU day, where u sit aptitude and IQ tests, interviews and basic medical, to see what ur suited to (basically getting an understanding of where u are at), then an assessment day (rigurous medical- i'm sure that will come up, physc test, interviews) then u have a fitness test (on a later date) then u find out if ur accepted.

if u look back here on other forums, you'll find heaps more, i'm just going on what my mates told me (and what i remembered) but from what i hear its a great experience.

Last edited:

Enchantress91

HSC
I applied on Sunday. They said they'll contact me within 5 days and today's the last day:eek:. Someone did call this afternoon on my home phone but I missed it. Tried to track the number down but it was a private number, arr.

During the application process, they ask you if you're a school captain/prefect and stuff... and whether you're actively involved in your community or play competitve sports and I just put no no no no no..... So yeah, my life's quiet dull.

BTW I applied for Army operator supply and driver transport and the 3rd preference was Navy. Though should've put soldier instead. :D

So has anyone been contacted yet?

Woteva636

HSC
from what i've read here, it sounds like youve got to do exactly the same thing to apply for the ADF, whether full time or GAP year.

as far as i can see, the only advantage of doing an ADF GAP year then joining full time as oposed to doing nothing for a year or a conventional civillian GAP year then joining anyway is that if you do the ADF GAP year you may qualify for a te thousand (draw breath here) dollar bonus, which is pretty good money for someone two years out of school, especially on top of the base sallery youre already going to be earning.

sorry to anyone who ignored my advice and consequently passed out or died from lack of breath :uhoh:

Nicholas727

HSC
hey guys

im new to this site and i was tossing up between going into the reserves or doing the gap year. if anyone knows wat either is like can you let me know. also cany u get deployed on peacekeeping missions as i want to either be a commando or rifle man thanks:)
would anyone know how much $$$ you'd get p.a for being a reservist? (rifleman)

Tim_107

HSC
I applied on Sunday. They said they'll contact me within 5 days and today's the last day:eek:. Someone did call this afternoon on my home phone but I missed it. Tried to track the number down but it was a private number, arr.

During the application process, they ask you if you're a school captain/prefect and stuff... and whether you're actively involved in your community or play competitve sports and I just put no no no no no..... So yeah, my life's quiet dull.

BTW I applied for Army operator supply and driver transport and the 3rd preference was Navy. Though should've put soldier instead. :D

So has anyone been contacted yet?

hahah, that was the exact same for me, i was never a leader at school, dont know if that will stop me from doing it.

they were meant to contact me by friday, but..... heard nothing, so i'll call them this week see whats happening.

Tim_107

HSC
i got an email saying i had to complete the next stage of the application process, i think it may be that one your talking about, i havent looked at it, probablly do it thursday.

Brettman

HSC
Hey guys.
Some were saying they were going to pick soldier then pick rifleman at the end of that, but it specifically says you cant pick rifleman from soldier

Yeah i applied for the gap year and got the email within 5 days. I now have to do the aptitude test, but might leave that for morning.

Oh btw, i chose rifleman, soldier, RAAF.
I also didnt have any leading or community roles :p

Tim_107

HSC
not sure about the army sorry, the aptitute test is wierd
u get a series of questions, 54, with 3 types of questions, theres a block counting, word association, maths questions and u have 12 mins, i only got 40 done, but i made sure i got most of them right (from what i hope)
then theres about 30 questions, based on "which best decribes u" type thing, and alot of them are repeated in later questions, i got the feeling they were looking for consistency, but i could be wrong.
In terms of leading roles, i dont think many do, how many prefects (they're the smart ones, most likely to go to uni and study med) would wanna go to Afghanistan, i'm sure there are lots, but in terms of a percentage.

leave about 30 mins for the test, good luck.

Brettman

HSC
Dam got up to question 41, they get hard towards the end

Also those block questions are stupid cause you dont know if they blocks at the back are all the same size as they could be smaller or bigger :(

Brettman

HSC
The next stage of the process is short listing, which will occur by 15 September 2009. :0

thats forever away until we know :(

Tim_107

HSC
do we have to ring up and book, or will they notify us as to when we can book.
think its your YOU session.

Brettman

HSC
They will prob email you, they said we would find out if we made it to the next level before that date ^^

Tim_107

HSC
yeh lets hope its soon, the suspence is killing me! i reckon aroudn June we'll know

Indigo_Child

HSC
Hey guys!

I've recently completed ADF Gap Year- Navy. I joined in April 08 and completed the full 12 months... I had an awesome 12 months and had a couple of awesome overseas trips.
Im here for a chat if anyone wants any info, although the Army and RAAF run VERY different Gap year programs to what the Navy do.

Tim_107

HSC
well done INdigo Child, i have a mate doing the Navy one this year, i think hes overseas, coz i havent heard from him in a few weeks, anyway

just a question, how long does the recruitment phase take? i think everyone who has posted on this forum ,has done the online phase, and now we await our YOU session, do they contact u as to when it is, or do we have to ring up and book it?

i'm sure we'll have more questions as we go along, but thanks for ur help.

do u reckon you'll join up later?

DreamingLoudly

HSC
Hey guys!

I've recently completed ADF Gap Year- Navy. I joined in April 08 and completed the full 12 months... I had an awesome 12 months and had a couple of awesome overseas trips.
Im here for a chat if anyone wants any info, although the Army and RAAF run VERY different Gap year programs to what the Navy do.
Hi, I'm currently in the process of completing year 12 and am considering doing the gap program with the navy or air force. Is it hard to get into the program?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)