ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

Indigo_Child

HSC
Brettman.... the parties arent a problem, the Navy provided some of the craziest parties i've ever seen lol, heaps of people turned 18 at recruit school, (i had my 19th) believe me you will have a long line of people who want to celebrate with you!!
betajosh711 - The Navy has the best pay of the 3 services, while you are posted to a ship (not neccessarily at sea) you get about $1750 a fortnight after tax. You also have very small if any expenses, so its pure savings!

Zetsu

HSC
Hey guys, I'm really interested in this program. I finished year 12 in 08 and started Uni this year. Now, a week before midyears, I'm sick of studies and want to do something more fun. I'm thinking of dropping out and taking a break until the end of the year, then joining the ADF.
Considering my TER isn't very high, what are my options? I'm hoping studying in a different environment will motivate me more.

betajosh711

HSC
Thanks for the pay info. So i'm guessing it is still taxed =/ damn.
Least from what i've heard the experience sounds like pure awesome =D

Indigo_Child

HSC
Zetsu, that is a very similar course to what I took, after 12 months uni I was sick of studies. I found that they didnt mind about Uni results (Lucky because I skipped out of a HEAP of lectures) Its what you can score on their entry test. The best way to beat the test is review all your basic maths from yr 12.... that its your mid level algebra and trig, also start exercising your mind in visual puzzles..... I was lucky in that Im a science freak.... i finished all 75 questions, but its a real time game.
All I can suggest is that if you miss out on the Gap Yr program and sign up for 4-6 years avoid watch keeping duties.
In the Navy some watchkeepers are severely over worked, and have more problems than day hands. This includes jobs such as;
Boatswain (BM) Hydrographics (HSO) Combat Systems (CSO)
Cryptography (CIS) Seaman Officer

Zetsu

HSC
Awesome, thank you Indigo! I've been checking every day hoping you'd reply haha :)
I did my previsor test the other day - i think I did alright, managed to finish with time to spare.
Can you tell me more about what you did? I have no idea how the gap year works - where i need to go, how to get there, what to bring, etc. Whenever I read about people who went they always say they had an awesome time :D

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I applied for the Gap Year a few weeks ago and today received an email telling me that I would be contacted within 2 weeks about a YOU session.

Anyone got details on what a YOU session entails and what comes after that?

annzy

HSC
hey aragami0012

i got the same email just waiting on the details of the YOU session.
are you interested in navy army or air force?
wow im so excited, what is the YOU session does anyone know?

olli!

HSC
Sweet, got my email the other day too.

hey aragami0012what is the YOU session does anyone know?
I think its just an interview so that they can judge whether you're suitable for the gap year. Could be wrong though.

Daedelus

HSC
This is directed to the people who got an email regarding you sessions, did you have to sit an aptitude test online to apply for the gap year?

Woteva636

HSC
Hey guys,

I applied for the Gap Year a few weeks ago and today received an email telling me that I would be contacted within 2 weeks about a YOU session.

Anyone got details on what a YOU session entails and what comes after that?
YOU (no pun intended) go to your nearest DFRC (defence force recruitment centre) and do aptitude tests, listen to a presentaion, talk to a nurse and talk to a careers councilor (probably some junior nco). go to Attend a YOU Session | Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs it tells it all to you pretty well. the aptitude tests are similar to the practice stuff, but harder, and you have to answer a question every 24 or so seconds

Brettman

HSC
so does that mean if i didnt get an email i wont be getting in :(?

Enchantress91

HSC
Congrats everyone! (damn youz)

All I got was an email thanking me for my patience and congratulating me for applying early:eek:. I hope they want me.

I want to get all the interviews over before my trials/HSC exams. Preferably during the holidays (am I asking for too much lol). And I'm praying they won't fail me right before my exams... omg imagine that.

Why am I being such a pessimist today...

Brettman

HSC
Dear Brett,

Thank you for your patience and congratulations for applying early in this year’s campaign.

It won’t be long before you know if you will get the opportunity to Fill in the Gap – and take the ultimate 12-month challenge.

Fitness is a key part of the Australian Defence Force; if you don’t have a fitness program we suggest you commence a training routine now.

Details of the fitness requirement are detailed at:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentCentre/process/fitnessTest//

Regards,

Defence Force Recruiting

thats the email i got
doesnt sound bad, but not that great :(

Last edited:

Tim_107

HSC
for you who didn't get a YOU session interview, it doesn't mean u wont get in.
Many ppl will drop out, wont get past the YOU session or the assessment day, so you'll get an opportunity.

But congrats to the ppl who did, good luck in them.

ila3

HSC
Hey guys , :)
just got my 'you' session booked for a few weeks time! just wondering if anyone else has attended or even passed this stage yet?

Last edited:

Mikeys

HSC
I also just received my 'YOU' session, set for the 15th of July...

Does anyone know how long after the 'YOU' session the interviews are...? and the fitness test?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)