• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ADF Gap Year (1 Viewer)

NikkiM

HSC
Hey thanks. It does say it on the website. I think its like an officer selection board type thing.

Auraden

HSC
but i dont get why u didnt make it into the first block because didnt u say u did ur app in like may?

NikkiM

HSC
I'm still wondering why I didn't get chosen for the first block.. Maybe I'm not what they are looking for lol. I hope that isn't the reason lol. But yeh im confused and a little frustrated about the whole thing lol.

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

Had my assessment day last thursday. Got a Class 1 on my medical and recommended by my interviewer.
I then got passed on to a enlistment officer, and got given a date for enlistment, either Dec 7 or Jan 4.

Too bad the December date is 3 days before my birthday, otherwise I would have gone then.

Just waiting on my letter of offer now, pending the results of a blood test for HIV/ Hep B/C.

Anyone else gotten told similar yet?

Auraden

HSC
hey guys,

i just rang up DFR and i asked about first round offers and stuff and the lady told me that 1st round offer are done and 2nd shortlisting offers will start on the 15th of sep so u wont hear anything of them untill that date.

and if i dont get into the adf gap year because the positions fill up im going to try to go in full time army as a operator groun based air defence. :jaw:

btw aragami congratz on ur success and also wat position did u apply for?

Last edited:

NikkiM

HSC
Hey,
I want to apply for supply through general entry just to get experience in the field of logistics but then change over to logistics officer.

ila3

HSC
Hey congratulations! :D
...no but hopefully will be did you get told on assesment day you were in? or did they just say if successful which enlistment day would you prefur? mmmm december prob wouldve gone with jan too!

Hey guys,

Had my assessment day last thursday. Got a Class 1 on my medical and recommended by my interviewer.
I then got passed on to a enlistment officer, and got given a date for enlistment, either Dec 7 or Jan 4.

Too bad the December date is 3 days before my birthday, otherwise I would have gone then.

Just waiting on my letter of offer now, pending the results of a blood test for HIV/ Hep B/C.

Anyone else gotten told similar yet?

NikkiM

HSC
It's unlikely that they will find anything wrong with you lol. What service and job are you going into??

rizz_31

HSC
hey aragami, did they give u ur pathology request forms at ur assesment day or did they post them to you afterwards, cause i passed my assesment day and that 'congratulatory' sheet said it would be attached but it wasnt lol

Auraden

HSC
can i apply for thre adf gap year and also apply for a GE job just incase idont make it into adf gap year.

aragami0012

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I'm down as a Soldier, Army. Second choice is Rfileman, Army. Both Gap Year positions.

Hey congratulations! :D
...no but hopefully will be did you get told on assesment day you were in? or did they just say if successful which enlistment day would you prefur? mmmm december prob wouldve gone with jan too!
Well, I don't think the guy directly said I was in, but the way he was discussing it, it sounded like if my blood test clears then I should be good to go.

hey aragami, did they give u ur pathology request forms at ur assesment day or did they post them to you afterwards, cause i passed my assesment day and that 'congratulatory' sheet said it would be attached but it wasnt lol
I got mine at the end of my Assessment Day, give them a ring and ask them to send you out a form and you should be right.

TheStallion

HSC
@sikhman - Did you get the ADFA Education Award? From the sounds of things, i'll be getting it next year. If you got it - hows the laptop, and how did they present it to you? ;)

TheStallion

HSC
Ah darn, age is always a bitch.

But yeah, the laptop is like you said, only for a small minority of the people. I think 120 education awards are handed out, so 10% of them might get the laptop. Hopefully FSP results get taken into account...

Our school has gone crazy with iPhone's, I'm glad that ADFA isn't giving them out instead. And yeah, it's presented sometime in Term 2. :D

Abok

HSC
Hi all, i just completed the online test, went well except i didnt quite finish all the questions because i ran out of time. (hint, use a mouse not a laptop tracker!). I am currently able to get 8 in the beep test without too much worry, and can do 20 or so proper army push ups, and am right on about 45 proper sit ups (i say proper a lot because it's easy to cheat and convince yourself otherwise). I am overweight but feel fairly fit as i have been running everyday and loosing weight in the last month (and still have time to do so before september). Running is the least of my worries as i often do 5km in 25 minutes.

In the YOU exam and intervew etc, are they likely to reduce your chances because of being somewhat overweight? i am 89kg 176cm currently with reasonable muscle mass (have worked out a decent bit). I feel i could loose 10 kg before being well sized.

What would people say of my fitness level with regard to getting in, and once in, basic training? Anyone who has done the army gap year able to comment on the PT sessions, and how many push ups they expect you to do in them etc. I have selected 1st preference as Rifleman

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
When it comes to weight, you need to have a BMI between 18.5 and 30 (it's either 30 or 33). Anything outside that range means you're not medically fit for service, and you won't be allowed in. Take a look at the BMI calculator on the DFR website.

Abok

HSC
When it comes to weight, you need to have a BMI between 18.5 and 30 (it's either 30 or 33). Anything outside that range means you're not medically fit for service, and you won't be allowed in. Take a look at the BMI calculator on the DFR website.
my BMI is 29 lol. Just under :) still got a long way to go before i think im 'ready' though.
I just read 18.5-30 is fine, and 30-33 is also OK but you have to be more looked at regarding it or something.

Auraden

HSC
i tihnk im fit enough for the army i can do 40 proper push ups and idk mayb 80 sit ups? and i think i can get over 9 in the beep test.

i only weigh 60 and im 170 cm tall slim build and my BMI is 20.76. the only thing im worried about is i look young... i look like im in yr 10 or 11 when im in yr 12 lol....

rizz_31

HSC
haha yeh i'm really skinny as well, tried to drink heaps of water b4 the assessment day just to push my BMI up as much as i could lol...

good to hear most ppl can do more than just the minimum requirement for the fitness, cause my psychologist on my assessment day told me that apparently a few weeks after you're at Kapooka you do the fitness test again but its like 50 push-ups and 100 sit-ups!

basically everyone i have spoken to at DFR centre said the most IMPORTANT thing about the gap year is to be fit! because they all said the more fit you are, the more you will enjoy it

so looks like i better start trainin like theres no tomorrow!

rizz_31

HSC
i'm like 187cm tall and only weigh about 74kg...my BMI is 20.8

so yer,gunna join a gym with my older bro and put on some much needed muscle!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)