Adfa (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well I've heard that working within the private sector there are many advantages. I remember talking to one of my teachers about it and I'm just wondering if somebody can fill me in on all the details, pros & cons about it and stuff. I remember that when she told me about it and how her son was planning on doing so and I was really interested in it but that was months ago and I forgot what really made me so interested.

So fill me in ?

dir3

HSC
do a google search for ADFA,

from what i know its where you go to study for a military career where in the end you are comminsion as an officer in the Army, Navy or Air force.
just a few pros & cons
pros: you wont find anything else like it, job security
cons: your commited for a few years, physical fitness

hope that helped a little

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
note: is the adfa different from the private sector ?

because what I kind of remember is that you have to do all the training and stuff alongside studying your courses and all but like within the private sector they require certain jobs and the such so like you could become a doctor and work for them or and engineer and help them with their equipment and stuff.

LOL. Am I on the right path here ?

Kray-AyzI

HSC
yeah u set, well have a search of the uni and chek it out....its a branch of unsw so if dun know where to start, u can try link it from there...

anywayz yeah the academy covers some courses, where u can do them whilst also completing military training. however stuff like medicine and stuff, would need to be done outside and then u can apply as a medic or something not sure of the specifics. However the plus side is the comined training u do recieve, so u may want to be pilot, but u are also able to combine say electric engineerin with it...so even after ya military contract finishes u still got qualifications else where

i was in two minds about this uni, after calling the para adfa department, lodging an application i wanted to become a pilot. But being an indian bloke with genuine indian rents, i didnt have much support on that path... so choose another path instead..... but i still stand in awe to the military discipline and lyfe

Ozza

HSC
Heck yes there are massive advantages of going to ADFA. (And by the way, if you're in the employ of the government, you're actually part of the public sector, private sector is privately owned and operated businesses)

Basically at ADFA, you're getting paid to study a degree, but at the same time you're doing all sorts of military training, getting an active lifestyle and a guaranteed job in the Defence Force. However, ADFA does not offer any law or medicine courses so if you wanted to do those you do those courses at uni and then apply to the defence force.

Basically the biggest downfactor is the fact that ADFA is in CAnberra and that's where you have to go. Most people turn this down simply because of that, and it's fair enough, because in the military, part of operational is that you may be required to move around a lot according to the inherent requirements of the adf.

But the ADF has a huge number of benefits, free healthcare, subsidised cost of housing, discounts at takeaway restaurants (like KFC or McDonalds). I would seriously recommend to many people that they give ADFA a look, it's a great way to get a degree, get fit and make mates for life, I leave for ADFA next week, so if anyone has any questions not related to the OSB I'd be happy to answer them.

Ozza

HSC
Lol, true, but it can also be pretty good thing...

Did a mention cheap grog?

Dirt cheap grog?

Ozza

HSC
Actually, it's pretty much voluntary if you wanna do stuff like that. Also I can't imagine they'd need engineer lieutenants to act in as riflemen...

Not to mention, we're pulling out of Iraq anyways

PHarvey

HSC
ADFA@UNSW is just like UNSW, but with a limited choice of degrees. Take the normal time to do a degree, add a year (for military training) and thats how long you spend at ADFA. Add a year to that, and that's how long you have to stay with the Navy/Army/Air Force (your choice). Also, you don't have to fight, you can pick a corps where you are not in a combat role (also females aren't allowed in combat lines). Although, when you come out, you come out as a Sub Lieutenant / Lieutenant / Flying Officer or Pilot Officer.
If anyone has any questions, just check out the ADFA webpage.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
End up being corpse, I suppose.

Iraq is still too good a destination!

Um, watching movies and advertisements about this sort of thing always excites you but the fact frustrates you if you are not that well-prepared.

...Hey, check the Pilot thingy. That sounds cool!

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
If you do a 4 year degree - say engineering, etc though ADFA, don't you then have to do 4/5 years service in the military after yoru degreee is completed or something like that?

madd-eh?

Super Member.
HSC
yeah my careers advisor told me to really think about it.
because once your degree is over, your stuck there.
and doing something you dont really enjoy for 8 years is a bit of a waste.

matorm

HSC
The service u need to return adds up to the length of your degree + 1 year.

I applied as a pilot to get the ADFA education award, and was told my service would be close to 21 years, even tho my training was about 5....

Its coz it so god damn expensive....

Mind u, the education award was fantastic, the laptop is great and will help me soooo much at uni...

The other pro's are tax free income, assured job, great health benefits, income while u study (but u still pay boarding costs), gradual pay increases throughout your career, continual opportunities to attain promotion, and a fitness level that will assure your good health, and the opportunit to travel :)

Cons are the lack of opportunities for extending your degree past honours (unless u like top ur class), regimentary uniform while studying, the physical workouts, potential to fight in conflict, unpredictability of job placement (thought they are a bit better if u hve a wife/family, but girlfriends are less of an influence), the constant movement between bases in training.

Hope that helps :D
matt

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
matorm said:
The service u need to return adds up to the length of your degree + 1 year.

I applied as a pilot to get the ADFA education award, and was told my service would be close to 21 years, even tho my training was about 5....

Its coz it so god damn expensive....

Mind u, the education award was fantastic, the laptop is great and will help me soooo much at uni...

The other pro's are tax free income, assured job, great health benefits, income while u study (but u still pay boarding costs), gradual pay increases throughout your career, continual opportunities to attain promotion, and a fitness level that will assure your good health, and the opportunit to travel :)

Cons are the lack of opportunities for extending your degree past honours (unless u like top ur class), regimentary uniform while studying, the physical workouts, potential to fight in conflict, unpredictability of job placement (thought they are a bit better if u hve a wife/family, but girlfriends are less of an influence), the constant movement between bases in training.

Hope that helps :D
matt
Tax-free - Are you serious???

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
davidbarnes said:
Tax-free - Are you serious???
Yep most defence pay is tax free.

Matorm, the reason why the return of service of pilots has been increased is that the RAAF is no longer able to retain truely dedicated pilots because many previously have already left for the provate sector after completing their return of service.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Oh wow. Thanks for that guys. Sounds really mad. But the thing that really gets me is the fact that i may dislike my job and can't pull out. =/

Ah well I still have quite a long time to think about it.

matorm

HSC
Wooz said:
Yep most defence pay is tax free.

Matorm, the reason why the return of service of pilots has been increased is that the RAAF is no longer able to retain truely dedicated pilots because many previously have already left for the provate sector after completing their return of service.
True, good point :)

I just thought id mention it tho, as all those people going for pilot thinking they ony have 6 years of returned service...

But it still does cost a fortune for them :)

tomsav

HSC
This ADFA sounds really good. I am intending to go into the Australian Defence Force after the HSC. I have gone for the aptitude test twice yet on both times I just missed out????

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to pass this little aptitude test, it shouldnt be that hard yet I failed twice!?!?!

I have bought books with practise tests and all that, I am going for the test for the third time in July. Should I be doing some practise now or later? How much each night?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
tomsav said:
I have bought books with practise tests and all that, I am going for the test for the third time in July. Should I be doing some practise now or later? How much each night?
Um, until you can pass. Theres also some aptitude tests you can practice online. I haven't tried the ADFA test but most aptitude tests I've encountered are not that hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)