adv maths major (1 Viewer)

SonOfAGun

Banned
HSC
thats like the top students in the advanced maths degree. they look at your hsc mark for Maths extension 2 and if it is high. ie 97 or above they take you in by invitation. so you should apply since you will easily get high marks for MX2.

SonOfAGun

Banned
HSC
actually 97 might not be enough. read here:

http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/advanced-mathematics/

"The High Performance Students' Plan is restricted to the very top Mathematics students (very high marks in HSC Mathematics Extension 2 or with Mathematical Olympiad training). Students in the Advanced Mathematics plan are effectively able to design their own degree with few restrictions (but subject to approval). Each student will have an academic mentor who will assist them in planning their studies as well as involving them in special research projects to enhance their Academic experience and potential."

hup

HSC
N/A
actually 97 might not be enough. read here:

http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/advanced-mathematics/

"The High Performance Students' Plan is restricted to the very top Mathematics students (very high marks in HSC Mathematics Extension 2 or with Mathematical Olympiad training). Students in the Advanced Mathematics plan are effectively able to design their own degree with few restrictions (but subject to approval). Each student will have an academic mentor who will assist them in planning their studies as well as involving them in special research projects to enhance their Academic experience and potential."
ye i read that but couldnt get alot out of it
whats the benefit of getting into this?
do you skip some topics/accelerate or something

SonOfAGun

Banned
HSC
well like the quote says above you get to work on special research projects and get to plan your degree with an academic mentor which the other people in the degree dont get, so basically this means you get a major advantage in ur degree bcuz ur mathematical knowledge is greater than the others in the degree. I know a guy who was in this and he had like his own office and stuff by second year and he now he is starting a phd and he only finished his hsc in 2007.

so the benefits are:
* extra research projects
* go through topics quicker
* get an academic mentor
* get to pick and choose with ur degree unlike people outside the plan

hup

HSC
N/A
well like the quote says above you get to work on special research projects and get to plan your degree with an academic mentor which the other people in the degree dont get, so basically this means you get a major advantage in ur degree bcuz ur mathematical knowledge is greater than the others in the degree. I know a guy who was in this and he had like his own office and stuff by second year and he now he is starting a phd and he only finished his hsc in 2007.

so the benefits are:
* extra research projects
* go through topics quicker
* get an academic mentor
* get to pick and choose with ur degree unlike people outside the plan
o ok
so u still get to pick one of the 3 majors?

SonOfAGun

Banned
HSC
o ok
so u still get to pick one of the 3 majors?
yes. everything stays the same. im guessing at ur school u had like a top maths class. this high performance thing is just like that for people doing the adv math degree. they get to do extra research and stuff within the degree but everything else like the choice of majors stays the same.

HSC
N/A
The high performance plan is there for a small number of really exceptional students for whom the normal study plans mean that they would learn less than they are capable of. About the only people who really seem to need this are those that have done a lot of extra maths already and want to take a strange collection of subjects for their degree. I don't think that any of this years honours students are doing this and at least one of them was maths olympiad. Maths is usually pretty good about ignoring prerequisites if you can convince them you can cope with a subject, even if you are in one of the standard plans.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
no advantages really.
You probably wouldn't want to skip any of the core courses anyway, unless you're a genius and have learnt it yourself before.
And yeah, they're pretty lenient with what they you do anyway, if you're marks are decent then you can usually skip prerequisites. (if you're that confident)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Is there quant major for adv maths?

P.S. tim! omg, you topped unsw 1st year 1 maths!!!!!!!!!! i feel like i have wasted my academic year haha... difference between you and others are so much more pronounced now.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is there quant major for adv maths?

P.S. tim! omg, you topped unsw 1st year 1 maths!!!!!!!!!! i feel like i have wasted my academic year haha... difference between you and others are so much more pronounced now.
Quant Risk can only be taken in the Adv. Maths degree, iirc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)