Advance english or standard english (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
So the head teacher came into my class today and she said that the cutoff overall mark for advance english was 90, while my class isnt the top class in the grade, there were 3 candidates capable of adv english (including myself, scoring a 92 - woooo yay me :3) but she said that the course is really demanding and she said that the students in previously years that had been capable of getting a band 5 or 6, got a band 4 in advance.

... Soooo, now the question is.. Should i choose advance or standard? Only reason im not in the top class of english for 2013 is because in year 9 my marks were SO bad but this year i was really hoping to do advance but even people from the top class (forced because they had an 83 or whatever) is doing standard.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Do Advanced. You'll regret if you do Standard

spatula232

HSC
I scored 91% for my report, but was thinking of doing standard and told my teacher. She said that it would be stupid to do standard since if ur aiming for a high band, the last band 6 in standard was '03 (i think...dont criticise if im wrong). She also said that if your finding it too difficult, you can always drop down. A mate in my class got 72% (english) and she told him to do it. In the end, if your finding it too hard, you can just drop as it has the same amount of units as standard.

deviouswatch

HSC
So the head teacher came into my class today and she said that the cutoff overall mark for advance english was 90, while my class isnt the top class in the grade, there were 3 candidates capable of adv english (including myself, scoring a 92 - woooo yay me :3) but she said that the course is really demanding and she said that the students in previously years that had been capable of getting a band 5 or 6, got a band 4 in advance.

... Soooo, now the question is.. Should i choose advance or standard? Only reason im not in the top class of english for 2013 is because in year 9 my marks were SO bad but this year i was really hoping to do advance but even people from the top class (forced because they had an 83 or whatever) is doing standard.
I think the simplest way to choose is to decide how much you really enjoy English. If you enjoy reading and deciphering texts, especially Shakespeare texts, then definitely do Advanced. It has far greater potential to boost your ATAR, however don't choose it just because you think it scales well, as once you get to the pre trial phase that I am at, you will find it hard to stay motivated because you don't enjoy it.

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't do standard english, it is true that it is an atar killer

It is essentially exactly the same thing as advanced english except different texts

the only difference is where there is about 100 (give or take a bit) students who get band 6's in standard and a few thousand who get band 6's in advanced!
It is very difficult to do well in standard, and many band 6 advanced students may not even be able to get a band 6 in standard.

I advise that you choose advanced, at least for year 12 and if you really feel that you can not understand the texts and such then drop to standard (however this decision should be thought about and discussed with other people)

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Depends on your interests and goals.

If you want an ATAR above 90, then doing English Standard is not the best idea. But if you don't really mind, English Standard could be okay.

The primary different between the subjects is the texts you study. In English Standard, you'll read modern texts, as opposed to classical texts in English Advanced. You don't need to study Shakespeare in Standard, whilst you must in Advanced. Of course there are exceptions, but this is on a general basis.

So, let's say Bob couldn't decide between Advanced and Standard. He,

- Is aiming for an ATAR of 78.50.
- Doesn't like reading Shakespeare.
- Finds reading Jane Austen, Charles Dickens etc. difficult and pointless.
- Doesn't enjoy reading.

Bob should study English Standard. Now look at Sue. Sue,

- Is aiming for an ATAR of 87.55.
- Doesn't like Shakespeare, but understands it with prompting.
- Reads regularly.
- Also doesn't like classical literature, but finds it easier to understand than Shakespeare.

Sue should study English Advanced.

Anyway, good luck with your choice!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
52 people got a band 6 in standard last year, ~2000 got a band 6 in advanced.

Just sayin'

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Just sayin'
Shieeeeet, is that a legit statistic? Can I get a source just to clarify? This would be good information to tell all my year 10 students...

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC

Just sayin'
You should note that the quality of candidature is significantly lower in Standard than Advanced, and therefore far fewer Band 6's will be achieved.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Shieeeeet, is that a legit statistic? Can I get a source just to clarify? This would be good information to tell all my year 10 students...
Bump.
Holy crap. Source for clarification?
These are the stats for the last three years as collected by Examine:

%DA

Standard - 166
Advanced - 3426

Standard - 56
Advanced - 3613

Standard - 64
Advanced - 3798
Here is the source, http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/ebos_stats.html - go to "HSC Band Descriptors and Performance Data".

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Man this makes me worried...Don't see the point why they have to punish students for doing Standard....

Emily Howard

HSC
Advanced, if its too hard u can always drop down to standard i belieb

srsly advanced isnt dat hard once u understand da formula fo good essays

HSC

DO IT DO IT DO IT if they are only telling you that you are capable of doing it and not that you have no chance then do it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)