advanced courses and other q's (2 Viewers)

is a roflcopter
HSC
are people doing commerce liberal studies better off than commerce in terms employment prospects?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Depends again on what you want to do. As Sif Not 99 said, commerce liberal studies lets you get out of having to do accounting and information systems etc which are compulsory commerce subjects - so if the job you're looking for is more humanities commerce (e.g marketing, HR etc) where the benefit of arts subjects and science can be more fully appreciated, then yes liberal studies may be viewed more appreciatively. However, obviously if you don't do accounting courses, KPMG won't be easily swayed by a few units of history to promote you to head of the accounts department :p Its all relative, and what people view as "better" is really subjective - if it wasn't, who would do the jobs that you consider to be boring...? I mean most of my friends are arts/law and are appalled when they look at my timetable and see "accounting" and "metrics" etc...which i dont mind too much! :p ;) :D Email the uni, since they often have set blurbs on the jobs suited for each degree program! :D

pri

HSC
N/A
hehe

the 2002 dux of my school who does arts/law at usyd was bitchin about comm/law in a talk she gave to yr 12's about scholarships and general syd uni stuff.

apparently there are 8 am math lectures

*shudders*

is a roflcopter
HSC
thanks timmii
i think im gona stick to com/arts now :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
I didn't necessarily say that...you *can* do accounting and infs in liberal studies - you just dont *have* to!

As for the 8am maths lectures...they're also on at 10am, 1pm and 3pm as well - I go at 1pm...the "social" place to be. :p The arts/law students tend to be rather unforgiving about us comm/law ppl...Don't believe them! ;) :p :D

Edit: Pri - were you from fort street? or was that someone else? If so, i know who you're talking about...and she's already made known to me her disapproval of my subjects!:p

sif not 99

I would say to newbie that if u can make up a table A arts major easily then go for the commerce/arts, me on the other hand couldnt really make up a table A arts major, well my interests werent alligned with the table A majors, more table B, if u dont know what im talkin about here il give u a rundown later, but thats why i chose B Com (liberal) coz i could do my finance plus other random arts units which it gives me the flexibility to do...as well as semi decent job prospects at the end of it......

liberal studies also separates you from the commerce rif raf as well, bah straight B Com....hence why i hang out with the law ppl, not coz i like em or anything......=)

is a roflcopter
HSC
:D

yep thanks for the info
i was just confused about it all since comm/arts has 4 majors and comm lib has 2 :(

i had this ambitious thought of majoring in accounting/finance/japanese/international relations all with like a 95 uai hehe

given up on that thought now :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by sif not 99
liberal studies also separates you from the commerce rif raf as well, bah straight B Com....hence why i hang out with the law ppl, not coz i like em or anything......=)
Meh! It's not like we like u either! :p ;) :D

jnothman

dismember
HSC
On the original topics of this thread:

Advanced subjects

I currently study a number of advanced science subjects. Often the material is a touch of a higher standard than that of standard. Some of the main advantages include:
- better scaling if you are good enough to do it
- more advanced social atmosphere
- subjects with group work generally are a lot easier for advanced students in advanced classes as they don't need to bother with apathetic and less-able standard students. (no intention to be eletist, I have many clever friends who did standard software and this upset them.)

It varies from subject to subject, but usually students with 90+ or upper 90s UAIs will do a number of advanced subjects. Students with particularly good ability in certain subjects may be given exception to do that subject advanced, I think.

You can choose only to do some subjects advanced (although to retain being in the advanced course, there is a prerequisite number) and can drop to standard courses (at any time, I think).

Liberal studies requirements

My understanding of Liberal studies, esp. international is that it is intended not to be just a general do-everything course, but is meant to be of quite a high standard for all-rounders in certain areas.

Therefore there is a credit-average requirement, quite common for scholarship, etc.

Exchange

Exchange is available for all students with requisite marks (often credit average) and who pass the requirements of the particular university and of SU who send you away.

SU has many connections with universities accross the globe.

- Joel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)