Advanced English- Module B- Critical Study Of Texts-Speeches (1 Viewer)

Preeti93

HSC
Which texts are people using together i am using 'Spotty Handed Villainesses' and 'Keynote'... i dont know which speech i should use as back up Noel Pearson's or Anwar Sedat's? Or maybe i should use some other speech for my third any suggestions would really help. :)

themanman

HSC
N/A
Which texts are people using together i am using 'Spotty Handed Villainesses' and 'Keynote'... i dont know which speech i should use as back up Noel Pearson's or Anwar Sedat's? Or maybe i should use some other speech for my third any suggestions would really help. :)
mate wtf?

is this standard english?

we are never asked for related material in mod a and b :S

HKK

HSC
I think she's asking for a back-up speech, not a related text. We have various ones to choose from this in this module lol

Anyway OP, I hear Noel Pearson's speech is fine to do- and there's a lot of analysis/context to it that's easy to find.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
module b we are.....critics and their texts
1. You don't need related texts in Module B for Advanced.
2. You don't need Critics. Critics was the old syllabus (prior to 2009). Although critics may be useful (in certain situations), by no means is it mandatory as it was in the past. In fact, blindly quoting a critic can work against you, with the marker thinking you've just copied an essay that was used prior to 2009.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There is nothing wrong with using two speeches which seemingly have no correlation. Both have been chosen for their power, and shows how the power of speech transcends time.

themanman

HSC
N/A
Oh right,

well im doing orwells essays :)

we dont have many people doing it by the looks of things

HSC
oh my god. our teacher goes on for an entire year about how we need critics otherwise we wont get a band 5 and you are informing me that we dont need critics? i hate english teachers.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
oh my god. our teacher goes on for an entire year about how we need critics otherwise we wont get a band 5 and you are informing me that we dont need critics? i hate english teachers.
Print out a rubric of Module B, and ask her where abouts in the rubric does it state that you are required to use critics. :)

themanman

HSC
N/A
Print out a rubric of Module B, and ask her where abouts in the rubric does it state that you are required to use critics. :)
its not required
and frankly, if used improperly can be more destructive

HSC
i cannnot believe this! i just emailed my teacher and her response was....whoops i think we were looking at the wrong rubric....what.the.fuck.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
i cannnot believe this! i just emailed my teacher and her response was....whoops i think we were looking at the wrong rubric....what.the.fuck.
LOLOL, it's not too bad a mistake though. And not detrimental to your learning. Pretty much the differences between the old and new syllabii are slight - the new one is more of a personal response, so it's perfectly acceptable to use first person. How does a HSC student in today's society few Speeches X Y and Z? I never felt comfortable using first person myself, but that option is there to those that desire.

At my school, I believe a Biology teacher mistaught a class for the first term of HSC. Pretty sure that's worse. :p

HSC
Uni Grad
imo, use Pearson's speech. Although it's very academic and a bit difficult, it's easily integrate-able with Atwood and the keynote address :)
I used Atwood and Pearson for my trials and ended up getting 18/20 :)

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Shouldn't have done Atwood imo. (For eg. try answering the 2009 HSC question with Atwood...it's too limiting and doesn't explore the more wider values of peace)
Also, the third speech you use depends on the way you explore the other two. If, for example, your themes include peace then Sadat may be a good choice.

13abie

HSC
Shouldn't have done Atwood imo. (For eg. try answering the 2009 HSC question with Atwood...it's too limiting and doesn't explore the more wider values of peace)
This.
Suu Kyi should be a staple as it is the most wide ranging speech. After that Sadat, Bandler and Pearson offer you a lot of viable options. The rest, really are just a liability.

benkelly

HSC
Just a question on speeches... does anyone think that this year they'll specify the speech we have to write about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)