• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

advanced english syllabus? (1 Viewer)

sam.mg

HSC
ForbiddenND said:
just wondering does advanced english have shakespeare in it? i desperately dont want it in dere but it probably is? and does standard have it in dere?

thx :S
IT's in there, because SHakespeare is the greatest writer in the English language. We should feel priviliged that we get to study his work.

I know I'm being a wanker, but so what?
S

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
clintmyster said:
yeahh like why dont we study Greek plays they've got so many different themes and theyre more interesting.
Because it is for English, lol. Translating loses meaning, so it wouldn't work.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ForbiddenND said:
just wondering does advanced english have shakespeare in it? i desperately dont want it in dere but it probably is? and does standard have it in dere?

Aren't you going to NSBH? I don' think you can do English (Standard) there.

ForbiddenND

HSC
lyounamu said:
Aren't you going to NSBH? I don' think you can do English (Standard) there.
lol namu you spend too much time on BOS you know everything :S

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
ratcher0071 said:
They don't do it in Ext 1. alright. I thought they would.
They do, there is only one though and it is in:
MODULE C: Language and Values
Elective 2: Language and Gender

Drama
• Shakespeare, William, Twelfth Night, New Cambridge Shakespeare, Cambridge University Press,
2004, ISBN-13: 9780521535144; or Cambridge School Shakespeare, 2006, ISBN-13:

And yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i get to study more shakespeare, i enjoy it. I don't know why but i do.

Shakespeare i am studying

Adv. English=Julius Casear (mod c conflicting prespectives)
Ext. 1 = Twelfth Night (see above)
Ext 2. Antony/Anthony and Cleopatra (for my major)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ForbiddenND said:
lol namu you spend too much time on BOS you know everything :S
Nah, it's just that I am omniscienct and omnipressant all the time...lol :p

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Shakespeare is quite good once you start understanding his lingo. I find that I start appreciating his plays after I've done the exam for them and start to notice all the universal themes he has in his plays which seem to transcend through time. I also like the moral behind his stories and the humour in them too.

As for me, we were introduced to Shakespare in Year 7. In that year most of us did A Midnight Summer's Dream; in year 8 we did The Merchant of Venice; in year 9 we did the Taming of the Shrew; in year 10 Advanced did Romeo and Juilet while Standard did Macbeth and in year 11 Advanced did King Lear. No idea what we're doing next term though.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Because it is for English, lol. Translating loses meaning, so it wouldn't work.
They are still amazing examples of literature, right up there, some equal to Shakespeare. Have a little more faith in the translators, they are very good at what they do.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
I think the difference is though, Shakespeares plays continue to reflect society and its individuals even today. The emotion and the processes, all that jazz.

While Greek plays are great examples of literature, I agree whole heartedly they should be in the syllabus somewhere, they don't do that on the scale Shakespeare does.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I think the difference is though, Shakespeares plays continue to reflect society and its individuals even today. The emotion and the processes, all that jazz.

While Greek plays are great examples of literature, I agree whole heartedly they should be in the syllabus somewhere, they don't do that on the scale Shakespeare does.
i disagree but ive got too big a headache to argue with you at the moment, raincheck? :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
if you argued with me you'd probably change my mind
(then again, having finished the course i think greek plays would have just been another headache and were i to be teaching or about to start the course i'd probably be totally on your side)

raincheck!

jamesboyd9

HSC
ForbiddenND said:

I wouldn't be too worried about what's in the advanced class. Judging by that post, you're probably not going to make it through your year 10 english.

Seriously, using 'd' instead of 'th' makes you look like an 11 year old downy.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jamesboyd9 said:
I wouldn't be too worried about what's in the advanced class. Judging by that post, you're probably not going to make it through your year 10 english.

bitch bitch bitch

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
jamesboyd9 said:

You should get your ass down to year 2 because your not using capital letters for proper nouns like Advanced English.

My point is that this is the internet where your not going to get marked on your grammar and spelling.

jamesboyd9

HSC
kaz1 said:
You should get your ass down to year 2 because your not using capital letters for proper nouns like Advanced English.

My point is that this is the internet where your not going to get marked on your grammar and spelling.
You don't get marked on your pronounciation in real life, but there is a limit after which people are still going to think you're retarded.

And I didn't say the words "Advanced English", so I don't know what you're on about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)