Advanced English vs Standard English (1 Viewer)

neon766

HSC
so i've been thinking would it be better getting a 65/100 in the HSC exam in advanced than getting 75/100 in standard english.

help would be appreciated in determining the pros and cons of both subjects.. because i'm an adv student at the moment.. and contemplating dropping to standard.. but at to what expense? thanks guys!

Tofuu

HSC
ask your teacher if she/he thinks you should drop or not, they'd probably have the best answer

and don't think you'll be getting low because there is still a long time for improvement

ValentinesM

HSC
content - wise:
  • one of the incentives of standard english is that it does not contain any Shakespeare component, which is a big plus for a lot of people.
  • Also, Advanced English focuses more on the 'how' bit (ie. how the composer expresses an idea) and so it's more analytical than Standard.
marks-wise:
  • if you look at the tables published by UAC, you'll see that only a very very small percentage of candidates fall into band 6 for standard, as compared to advanced. so, advanced scales better than standard.
I think if you work hard, you'll get over 65 easily for advanced. Whichever course you end up doing, try to clarify or sharpen your interpretation of the texts by thinking about what others have said, and what you've thought along the way. Then practise writing essays. This will improve both your understanding and expression.

Good luck!!

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
I remember my teacher saying its better to be in the top of standard english than at the bottom of advanced :)

NewiJapper

HSC
Honestly I think most people are capable of doing Adv. English. The people that bomb out at english or drop down to standard obviously aren't doing enough work. If you can't be bothered to put in the effort, then do go for it.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
if you are capable of modern and ancient history as well as history ext, u should be more than capable to do well in advanced english.

In my personal case i was ranked aprox 30/60 in advanced english and ended up with a hsc mark of 85, whereas my friend who was ranked 2nd in standard also ended up with a hsc mark of 85 in standard, and the school was ranked somewhere in the 100's.

neon766

HSC
thanks guys!

i'm going to stay in advanced.. i was jsut worried that it might turn out a bad decision for me if i flunk out of the HSC. liek what exactly is a solid mark in the HSC for english? high 70's? solid 80's?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, English Advanced, 75-ish is good. English Standard, high 80s.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
If you put the effort in you won't flunk out in the hsc, if you know at least one general essay for each module off by heart and practice tweaking those essays you really cant go wrong.

Besides you run the risk of flunking out in every subject in the hsc exams, there is nothing you can do about it.

Marks are difficult to say when every school is different.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
If you put the effort in you won't flunk out in the hsc, if you know at least one general essay for each module off by heart and practice tweaking those essays you really cant go wrong.

Besides you run the risk of flunking out in every subject in the hsc exams, there is nothing you can do about it.

Marks are difficult to say when every school is different.
-Unless the question asks for something that you're completely unprepared for, in which case, you're screwed...

Don't memorise essays! D;

ac91

HSC
I can not stress enough DO STANDARD!
Great or not at advanced you make no gain.
If you get over 75 in standard you will in your atar be scaled exactly the same as the kids in advanced.
For example if you get 80 and the kid in advanced gets 76 your ATAR will actually be scaled higher in then the kid who did advanced!
So that kid actually lost atar points even though that 76 in advanced would probably be 80 something in standard.

You have better chance of getting better marks in standard and will therefore get a much better ATAR!

;) Go to standard. Trust me you will not regret it! ;)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
If you get over 75 in standard you will in your atar be scaled exactly the same as the kids in advanced.
For example if you get 80 and the kid in advanced gets 76 your ATAR will actually be scaled higher in then the kid who did advanced!
So that kid actually lost atar points even though that 76 in advanced would probably be 80 something in standard.

You have better chance of getting better marks in standard and will therefore get a much better ATAR!

... Merr, I'm sure there are benefits of doing standard,,,
But pretty sure they are scaled differently... And standard is a lot worse...

shamimi95

HSC
... Merr, I'm sure there are benefits of doing standard,,,
But pretty sure they are scaled differently... And standard is a lot worse...
advance and standard scale the same, but the issue of laziness has been brought up

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well, ok, yes they're scaled the same, but because they're marked on the same level, generally the Adv kids will go better, because what they're learning is on a higher level, rrright? So its harder to get b6 in standard because you're up against adv?

Argh, I don't know, I don't have to know.
Flail.

ilikebeeef

HSC

I've heard that there are people who regret it.

My school makes EVERYONE do English Advanced. It is much easier to get Band 6 in Advanced than in Standard - can partly explain why my school's cohorts pwn in English. Only about 0.01% of Standard students get Band 6.

Well, ok, yes they're scaled the same, but because they're marked on the same level, generally the Adv kids will go better, because what they're learning is on a higher level, rrright? So its harder to get b6 in standard because you're up against adv?
Yes, and Advanced English aligns better than English Standard.

saberbladexx

HSC
Most of the standard cohort is lazy and doesn't work hard and are generally less intellectual in English writing than their advance peers, thats why standard is considered shit.

ac91

HSC
I assure you they will only scale differently if you get under 75. ;)

ac91

HSC
Most of the standard cohort is lazy and doesn't work hard and are generally less intellectual in English writing than their advance peers, thats why standard is considered shit.
I know many people who have been very good at advanced and have dropped into standard because they want a better ATAR and it worked. ;)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know many people who have been very good at advanced and have dropped into standard because they want a better ATAR and it worked. ;)
How do they compare whether they got a better ATAR with English Advanced or English Standard?

ac91

HSC
How do they compare whether they got a better ATAR with English Advanced or English Standard?

If you get over 75 in standard you will be scaled the same as advanced. Eg. 2 students do the exact same subjects and get the exact same score except in english.
One kid does standard the other does advanced.
The standard person gets 87.
The advanced kid gets 80.

The ATAR of the standard kid's will be higher because they got over 75 and after 75 they are scaled the same. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)