Advanced Mathematics ! (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
Hi,

I am currently enrolled in MATH1901 and MATH1902, though I'm not sure whether I would be able to handle it.

So, I'm wondering:

1) Could I decide whether to drop MATH1901 and MATH1902 and pick up MATH1001 and MATH1002 after the first semester ?

2) What are the significant differences between the Advanced course and Standard course ?

3) What are the benefits of Advanced Mathematics over Standard Mathematics ?

Thanks.

lou071

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I am currently enrolled in MATH1901 and MATH1902, though I'm not sure whether I would be able to handle it.

So, I'm wondering:

1) Could I decide whether to drop MATH1901 and MATH1902 and pick up MATH1001 and MATH1002 after the first semester ?

2) What are the significant differences between the Advanced course and Standard course ?

Thanks.
i think you can decide drop down to standard till 31st of March

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hi,

So, I'm wondering:

Thanks.
1) Why bother dropping MATH1901 and MATH1902 after first semester when by that time you would have already FINISHED IT!!!! lol

2) Advanced is much more rigorous and challenging than normal. It focuses more on proving theorems rather than routinely applying formulae to textbook style questions.

3) With advanced you get to work with a generally smarter cohort and less overcrowding in lecture rooms. Also, you have the benefit of scaling in your favour. You also have the chance to do SSP units if you're good enough for it. Furthermore, it is highly recommended you do advanced mathematics if you intend to take honours in mathematics or statistics.

lou071

HSC
N/A
1) Why bother dropping MATH1901 and MATH1902 after first semester when by that time you would have already FINISHED IT!!!! lol

2) Advanced is much more rigorous and challenging than normal. It focuses more on proving theorems rather than routinely applying formulae to textbook style questions.

3) With advanced you get to work with a generally smarter cohort and less overcrowding in lecture rooms. Also, you have the benefit of scaling in your favour. You also have the chance to do SSP units if you're good enough for it. Furthermore, it is highly recommended you do advanced mathematics if you intend to take honours in mathematics or statistics.
SSP, don't students with uai at least 98.5 and band E4 for maths ext 2 are the only ones who get to do it?

konkzz

HSC
Oh, so MATH1901 and MATH1902 only goes for one semester ?

I'm also enrolled in MATH1003 and MATH1005 for semester 2, would I be taking the Advanced units of these subjects if I kept MATH1901 and MATH1902 in semester 1 ?

How would you compare the Advanced exams to the Standard exams ?

That's the thing. I'm not intending to take honours in Maths or Statistics. I'm enrolled in a Engineering/Commerce degree and it was suggested I give Advanced Mathematics a shot since I did Mathematics Extension 2 for my HSC.

Though, I also heard that the lectures are at 8am. Is this true ?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The UAI and HSC mark requirements are only for SSP A in semester 1. In semester 2, I think to get into SSP B requires HD in MATH1901 or D in SSP A.
However, the marks aren't just the only requirements. The form you fill out asks you about your backgrounds and interests in Maths as well. Most people who come to the seminar expressing their interest generally get invited anyway.

konkzz

HSC
What the hell is that ?

So, you reckon I should keep Advanced Mathetics for now and see how I go or should I change my enrolment during O-week ? I'm worried that I might be undecided by the March 31st date.

lou071

HSC
N/A
What the hell is that ?

So, you reckon I should keep Advanced Mathetics for now and see how I go or should I change my enrolment during O-week ? I'm worried that I might be undecided by the March 31st date.
yep! keep it and see how you go.:)

konkzz

HSC
Alright, so can I enrol in MATH1903 and MATH1905 for semester 2, regardless of how I did in MATH1901 and MATH1902 ?

konkzz

HSC
What 1st year textbooks are recommeneded for MATH1901 and MATH1902 and can they be downloaded ?

Can anyone else answer all of my questions from above ?

Thank you.

lou071

HSC
N/A
What 1st year textbooks are recommeneded for MATH1901 and MATH1902 and can they be downloaded ?

Can anyone else answer all of my questions from above ?

Thank you.
visit co-op website and search for text books for the course.:)

konkzz

HSC
Cool,

Quick question: you know the lecture notes, can they be accessed online free of charge ?

Also, for tutorials, are questions given for homework ?

jtyler

HSC
The School of Maths has their course notes printed by KopyStop on Mountain St (Broadway). Usually they're not available until right before uni starts (or during the 1st week). There aren't homework questions as such (aside from two assignments worth 5% each), but I guess questions you don't complete in the tutorials are theoretically homework. Tutorial sheets are printed at the back of the course notes.

konkzz

HSC
Do I have to purchase these course notes ?

Are they sufficient for this unit of study or would I need textbooks ?

uniform

!!!
HSC
Quick question: you know the lecture notes, can they be accessed online free of charge ?
No.

Also, for tutorials, are questions given for homework ?
You have a small set of preparatory questions that they recommend you complete before each tutorial. During the tutorial you complete the set of questions given (by the way, these questions alone ARE in fact available online free of charge, but the lecture notes aren't). You finish what you haven't done after the tutorial in your own time, and they post up solutions within the week on the math website.

You really don't need anything other than the course notes that you purchase from Kopy Stop for MATH1901/2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)