Advanced Mathematics ! (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
ssglain, did you use any textbooks for advanced mathematics ?

Also, do you think a pass in Advanced Mathematics is easy to achieve ?

ssglain

HSC
ssglain, did you use any textbooks for advanced mathematics ?
I didn't buy or use any of the books in the "recommended texts" list, if that's what you mean. I did make good use of the printed lecture notes from Kopystop though - I read everything, made my own notes based on the printed notes as well as the lectures, and I did all the tutorial exercise questions.

Also, do you think a pass in Advanced Mathematics is easy to achieve ?
I managed straight HDs for all my maths units in first year (I did advanced/special studies program) with Differential Calculus being my best subject at 97 - I won't say that I did it "effortlessly" because I did put in the appropriate amount of effort. If you are genuinely interested in maths and aim to apply yourself in the subject, then you should easily achieve more than just a pass in it.

konkzz

HSC
How much time did you put in a week for each math subject ?

Also, should I wait for the first lecture to get the course notes from kopystop or should I get it before the first lecture starts ? Would the lecturer recommend these notes ?

jtyler

HSC
Yes, pretty much everyone gets the course notes. For advanced the tutorial sheets are attached at the back.

lil-angeliz

HSC
OMG im in the exactly same position as you. So what does everyone recommend. I chose advance maths units to, and have done 4u maths in yr 12. But heard it is really hard.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Also, should I wait for the first lecture to get the course notes from kopystop or should I get it before the first lecture starts ? Would the lecturer recommend these notes ?
Notes aren't available before lecture starts.

konkzz

HSC
I went to the kopystop yesterday and they were available for purchase.

konkzz

HSC
okay, MATH1901 and MATH1902 are getting harder and I'm getting more confused as each lesson goes by. Since I'm not planning to do these units next semester, should i continue with them ?

Also, would the level of difficulty be far less if i dropped to MATH1001 and MATH1002?

And, since I'm a BE/BCom student, I shouldn't have to give more work to myself right ? Opinions please.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
okay, MATH1901 and MATH1902 are getting harder and I'm getting more confused as each lesson goes by. Since I'm not planning to do these units next semester, should i continue with them ?

Also, would the level of difficulty be far less if i dropped to MATH1001 and MATH1002?

And, since I'm a BE/BCom student, I shouldn't have to give more work to myself right ? Opinions please.
I think the consensus date for addition of a unit has passed, but not yet for removal of units. You cannot drop down to normal level this semester unless you want to incur a huge financial penalty.

ddtng

HSC
I think the consensus date for addition of a unit has passed, but not yet for removal of units. You cannot drop down to normal level this semester unless you want to incur a huge financial penalty.
Not exactly. The Science office let me switch from a normal to advanced unit a few days ago, though the person in question is in another faculty so they'll have to ask about their procedures.

konkzz

HSC
Not exactly. The Science office let me switch from a normal to advanced unit a few days ago, though the person in question is in another faculty so they'll have to ask about their procedures.
Did they say that it will incur a financial penalty since you enrolled into the advanced units after the concensus date ?

ddtng

HSC
No they said it was all fine.

Though if I get a letter soon with some sort of penalty I'll get back to you.

konkzz

HSC
hey, i've dropped adv. maths and haven't had my first tutorial for MATH1002 yet. I was wondering is there an easier way I can get into the tutorial i want without having to go through the hassle of going to the timetabling unit and requesting for a timetable change ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)