Advanced or Standard English? (1 Viewer)

jellybaby

Awesome!
HSC
Hi

Since this is the most important time to decide on the english class, i have started this post to get advice on the two english subjects as i am currently trying to make a decision whether to move from Advanced to Standard.

My current situation is that i am getting ranked in the last 10th people or so out of 20ish, i am getting highest 70% and mid band 5. I am unsure if standard would do me a better justice as i am currently studying: Economics, Legal studies, Business studies, Maths 2u, Ext. maths 1u and SOR 1u.

My question and main reason for this post is to start a discussion on both english classes on how they differ and what is the better option for those like me etc.

Thank you
:)

Flop21

HSC
I would like to hear this also. So in standard, they have different topics in the modules? What makes it 'easier', you still have to sit there and write 3 essays right?

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
I would like to hear this also. So in standard, they have different topics in the modules? What makes it 'easier', you still have to sit there and write 3 essays right?
Taking a look at my mates standard paper, they don't ask for as an in-depth analysis and the ideas they discuss are less specific. They also don't study a shakespeare.

If you have a high 70% average I recommend you stay in Advanced. With enough work, you can push it up to a low eightys which is worth a band 6. Statistically speaking, 10% of the Advanced Cohort recieve a band 6 while something like 0.6% recieve a Band 6 for Standard, so I'd argue that in many ways, advanced is certainly the easier option.

blackbird_14

HSC
Taking a look at my mates standard paper, they don't ask for as an in-depth analysis and the ideas they discuss are less specific. They also don't study a shakespeare.
Yeah that and also they study four texts in class, which are comparatively easier to get. However, you need to get 3 pieces of related material, one for AOS, one for Module A (as in advanced you already have two texts in this module because it's a comparison) and one for Module C.

You aren't going terribly in English currently, (and I mean terrible as in under 50%) so I'd say stick with advanced and put some extra work into English.

jellybaby

Awesome!
HSC
You aren't going terribly in English currently, (and I mean terrible as in under 50%) so I'd say stick with advanced and put some extra work into English.
I understand what you mean but i am just worried that me getting 14/20 in each module would not be good enough and i am afraid that i would need to put too much effort and i won't be able to give up enough time for it because in prelim i honestly didn't put a lot of effort, is it too late to test myself to see what i can get with effort?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You'd be better sticking with Advanced. It aligns a lot better then Standard.

Silly Sausage

HSC
The difficulty/complexity of standard English questions have become similar to it's advanced counterpart in the past few years.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Don't think there's much point doing Standard English over Advanced, since it's not much easier and the aligning is terrible.

YouCantMakeMe

HSC
N/A
Don't think there's much point doing Standard English over Advanced, since it's not much easier and the aligning is terrible.
Why is its aligning so terrible? (considering the thread purports its level of difficulty is comparable to English Advanced).

Untroubled

HSC
I've read some of the texts that people (that I know) have done standard.
Very easy to understand. Trouble is, can you analyse the text in a sophisticated manner? is there enough to discuss without falling into retelling and simplicity in explanation? If you end up being too simplistic, standard will not give a good boost to your ATAR.
I hate English, but I chose English advanced. The texts are usually much more complex in nature.
A few of my texts were from Shakespeare and Jane Austen. The language is challenging to understand, but there was so much content and therefore many things to discuss well.

Point is,
- Standard English texts tend to have more of what I call contemporary/modern English language and plots that are easier to get your head around. ( I have been told you will need to work extra extra hard to get band 6 in Standard.)
- Advanced, on the other hand, tends to be challenging with the type of texts they choose but will save you from a poor ATAR if you put work in (assuming you are achieving good/great marks in the rest of your subjects.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)