• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advancing from L's to P's. (1 Viewer)

michaelb92

HSC
i'm on my l's and it will be 12 months of driving on feb 25th. when i first got my l's i wrote in the logbook properly but then i got lazy and drove heaps without writing in the logbook. i realised i had to catch up, so i tried to think of the drives that i did and estimate the amount and write in the hours for those drives. my dad thought i under estimated it. now i've got down around 85 hours by estimating and also writing it in at the time.

i really want to get my p's on feb 25th so what should i do to get the hours up to 120?

and does anyone have any tips for the driving test?

michaelb92

HSC
the 85 hours amount may be an under estimate or an over estimate i'm not sure. i dont think i'll be able to actually do 35 hours of driving before feb 25th, so what is the best way to write in the logbook to get up to 120 hours by then and make it look real?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i really want to get my p's on feb 25th so what should i do to get the hours up to 120?
not meaning to be a douche but to get your hours up, you usually need to drive.

... only tip i can think of is getting the multiplier on the instructor hours :S

michaelb92

HSC
lol yeh sorry stupid question, i mean cos i think i under estimated the hours so what is the best way to write down hours for those drives i did without recording it, since i forget the actual drives, i just know that i've driven heaps without recording it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure what exactly you're hoping to get from BoS mate because noone has a foolproof way of "cooking the books" which is what it sounds like you're trying to do.

IMO just make reasonable estimates of where/when you were likely to have driven. There's always that fine line of "have I gone too far?" in which case it'll become very obvious once you go for your P's test to everyone around you. In other words, if you really did do the hours, then regardless of what you write in your book, you should be a very confident and (hopefully) decent driver. I'm not saying I think that someone needs X amount of hours before they automatically and arbitrarily become a confident/good driver, but those who fake it just a tad too much don't realise how easily spotted they are.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
can someone please explain what cooking the books means?
Refer to: HowStuffWorks "How Cooking the Books Works"

In all seriousness though, think back to regular journeys you have done (such as to school/back, to the shops, etc), look at the details, and then estimate how frequently you did these (e.g. each week) and fill in the book. Like I said, noone really cares but if you fake it, it's pretty obvious.

michaelb92

HSC
i'm assuming it means cheating. but basically i think i have under estimated my hours and i want to write in the book to match it with the drives i didnt record. but, i do think that 120 hours is too much and that if you can pass the test then you can drive
however, i think that i actually will have driven around 120 hours by feb 25th, so i'm not cheating, the only problem is i have made the mistake of being too lazy to record many drives that i've done

michaelb92

HSC
here's hoping you don't make it onto the roads
i regret making this thread now, how am i cheating or indicating i'm a bad driver. by feb 25th i probably will have driven around 120 hours but i was too lazy at the time to record alot of my drives, so i'm just wondering what is the best way to estimate these drives?

michaelb92

HSC
i've seen people post on this site saying they've blatantly faked the whole logbook and others that say they made up the whole thing the morning before the test and they did not get the reaction i got

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Why did you need to ask? If you're short of hours you do more. If you can't do more then you make them up.

aaazov

HSC
I was in the same situation (not recording my hours once I did them) so I just estimated times when I would have or could have driven. In the end I probably didn't get 120 hours.

When the lady was checking my book all she looked for was my total hours of driving on each page, she pretty much just flicked through it.

So you should be safe just putting in hours that are reasonably believable.

michaelb92

HSC
ok i'm glad someone out there was in the same situation as me, thanks to everyone for the advice so far

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
i've seen people post on this site saying they've blatantly faked the whole logbook and others that say they made up the whole thing the morning before the test and they did not get the reaction i got
It doesn't mean we condone such behaviour.

In all honesty the last thing we as a society want is yet another halfwit on the road who can't drive for crap because they did a dodgy on the logbook. Without going into too much of a rant, it increases risks for everyone involved and is a contributor to rising insurance premiums.

But back on topic, just guesstimate and be reasonable.

NewiJapper

HSC
Personally I don't think 120 hours was enough. When i got my P's I was slightly confident but I think even another 30 hours should be added for 150 hours. When your operating something where your driving 2 metres apart from oncoming traffic at 60km/h you want the most experience you can get.

Don't worry about thinking you HAVE to get the hours by that date. I didn't get mine till 2 months after when I was eligible to get my P's. Take your time, learn how to be a safe drive and don't drive for hours sake. Learn stuff like reverse parking and stuff haha

Also, after each drive, just up your odometer and add a couple minutes. E.g Driving to my school takes about 15 minutes, I always added a few kms and put 20 or 25 if i felt extra daring lol

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Yeah, I know what you mean - so many times I didn't bother writing it down. I'd written down 120, but probably did more like 150 =P

If you're filling it in later, make sure you don't stuff up your odometer readings...I imagine that would be painful to back-track on!

You've got over a month, I'd say suck it up and just do the hours from now on. You're practically done anyway, another 35 is doable, especially during holidays. Have a weekly aim for hours, share it with your parents/supervising drivers, and stick to it =)

Driving to school, grocery shopping, nights out, cinemas, sports, etc... these are things that you should record. I think if you did them but didn't record them it's ok...but I wouldn't advise faking your hours. Not cool.

michaelb92

HSC
Yeah, I know what you mean - so many times I didn't bother writing it down. I'd written down 120, but probably did more like 150 =P

If you're filling it in later, make sure you don't stuff up your odometer readings...I imagine that would be painful to back-track on!

You've got over a month, I'd say suck it up and just do the hours from now on. You're practically done anyway, another 35 is doable, especially during holidays. Have a weekly aim for hours, share it with your parents/supervising drivers, and stick to it =)

Driving to school, grocery shopping, nights out, cinemas, sports, etc... these are things that you should record. I think if you did them but didn't record them it's ok...but I wouldn't advise faking your hours. Not cool.
yeah i agree, i'm thinking of doing a couple of professional lessons before the test so each 1 hour lesson will count for 3 hours and i think i probably will be able to do the rest, and i really wish i recorded those drives lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)