Advice for new Year 12's (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
My advice for Year 12s:
English write practise essays to time and hoard your teachers like mad if you're unsure about anything - I know I do :)
Maths 2u focus in class and always go ahead of class (I'm always at least 2 chapters ahead of my class for 2u maths as the concepts are easy to grasp)
Maths 3u ask your teacher if you don't know how to do something and make sure you reinforce your lessons. Buy textbooks as they are your bibles in maths.
Maths 4u make sure you understand every little stupid thing you do in there. Ask your teacher if you don't.
Economics keep updated on absolutely everything. I have a whole folder of newspaper articles which I've been collecting for the past year which i can use in essays.
Physics i'm crap at this subjects, so anyone care to offer advice here? :D
Japanese Cont. practise writing ALOT. Use as many structures as you can and try to enjoy the course - I know I don't D;

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Okay, I see. You will get to keep your mark, yes. But that will be doubled on the HSC result paper next year you get it. (like 44/50 = 87, 88 or 89)
How does 87 or 89 happen? Is there a high 44 or low 44?

Maybe I will repeat... I was thinking of continuing to study my 3U work anyway for Extension 2. I was disappointed when I saw E3 even though the whole group of accelerants agreed not to repeat if we got the top 2 bands xD

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
ahhliss said:

Maybe I will repeat.
.. I was disappointed when I saw E3 even though the whole group of accelerants agreed not to repeat if we got the top 2 bands xD
Repeat if you feel the need to - you shouldn't undermine your potentiality. It would be good anyway because you've already had experience at it.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Repeat if you feel the need to - you shouldn't undermine your potentiality. It would be good anyway because you've already had experience at it.
I heard that a girl that repeated in now ranked 3rd or something when before she was in the middle of the group. I want to be higher :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ahhliss said:

Maybe I will repeat... I was thinking of continuing to study my 3U work anyway for Extension 2. I was disappointed when I saw E3 even though the whole group of accelerants agreed not to repeat if we got the top 2 bands xD
Yep. Because the aligned mark is drawn out from your raw mark, when the HSC result is out of 100, we don't know what it will really be out of.

As you see, if I assume that 60-62 = 45/50, 60-62 = 89-91/100

Or something like that. It's little more complicated.

I got 48, I am not sure what it will be converted to and I don't want to risk it by assuming that it's going to be 97 because I don't really know. It might even be 96 or 95.

And yeah, if you ARE going to study fair bit of 3 Unit, repeat. There are great chances that you will do better. My accelerant mates got 46+ (2 of them) and they are all going to repeat.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
ahhliss said:
I heard that a girl that repeated in now ranked 3rd or something when before she was in the middle of the group. I want to be higher :D
LOL you go girl :headbang:

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Yep. Because the aligned mark is drawn out from your raw mark, when the HSC result is out of 100, we don't know what it will really be out of.

As you see, if I assume that 60-62 = 45/50, 60-62 = 89-91/100

Or something like that. It's little more complicated.

I got 48, I am not sure what it will be converted to and I don't want to risk it by assuming that it's going to be 97 because I don't really know. It might even be 96 or 95.

And yeah, if you ARE going to study fair bit of 3 Unit, repeat. There are great chances that you will do better. My accelerant mates got 46+ (2 of them) and they are all going to repeat.
Oh kays. I don't work as hard as I should in my free periods anyway xD

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ahhliss said:
how did you do in 4unit for 2008?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ahhliss said:
Oh kays. I don't work as hard as I should in my free periods anyway xD
Haha...I rarely work in my study periods too. I am just out there in my study periods talking with friends and helping them with stuff but apart from that, study periods are :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: (joined by PSP, iPods)

I seriously don't think it is bad at all because once I play at school, I don't go back home and paly again. So I use my "study periods" for my own enjoyment (how ironic). By the way, my "study periods" are dreadful. The room is too cold and it's noisy...

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Haha...I rarely work in my study periods too. I am just out there in my study periods talking with friends and helping them with stuff but apart from that, study periods are :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: (joined by PSP, iPods)

I seriously don't think it is bad at all because once I play at school, I don't go back home and paly again. So I use my "study periods" for my own enjoyment (how ironic). By the way, my "study periods" are dreadful. The room is too cold and it's noisy...
I go to the library so it's pretty quiet. I think if I have less periods I might work harder too :D

tommykins said:
how did you do in 4unit for 2008?
I didn't do the HSC for 4U in 2008.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ahhliss said:
I go to the library so it's pretty quiet. I think if I have less periods I might work harder too :D

I didn't do the HSC for 4U in 2008.
oh lulz probably someone else that accelerated.

i recall 2 accelerants on this forum.

=O

my advice is - past papers, learn to study effectively. you need to want to study, don't force yourself to

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:

LOL Namu! That's with me as well. I generally end up talking with my friends during study periods. Although my study rooms have heaters and air cons, so it makes for the perfect talking room :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
LOL Namu! That's with me as well. I generally end up talking with my friends during study periods. Although my study rooms have heaters and air cons, so it makes for the perfect talking room :D
Do you have any teachers there?

Because I certainly don't have any to disturb my absolute state of euphoria whenever I have study periods! :D

But in all seriousness, study periods should be spent appropriately. I don't think I am doing that at the moment but hey, I am making most out of it. :skip:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Do you have any teachers there?

Because I certainly don't have any to disturb my absolute state of euphoria whenever I have study periods! :D

But in all seriousness, study periods should be spent appropriately. I don't think I am doing that at the moment but hey, I am making most out of it. :skip:
We have a librarian who constantly peeps through the seminar windows to make sure we aren't eating (and it's pretty freaky because he has a really long, tangled beard and to see that come out of the darkness is a bit heart stopping). But other than that we have no teachers.

Yeah i know we shouldn't be doing this in study periods, but when you're around friends you just can't help it! How long do yours usually go for? Mine are 75mins long.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
katie21792 said:
I do:
English Advanced
Mathematics
Chemistry
Ancient History
Modern History
History Extension
SOR1u

is it possible for me to get a UAI of 93+?
also, how much do your school ranks effect your UAI, or is it more assessment marks?
I don't really understand the system so if someone could explain it to me that would be awesome! :)
You can get 100 with any combination of subjects provided you do well. That is, however, highly dependent on scaling and allignment. In laymans terms, there's an inverse relationship with how high up YOU have to be in comparison to your school's rank. What I mean is that suppose you want 99+. I know at my school Sydney Tech, you need to come approximately top 10 to get that mark, as my school is now 33rd (-_-). At other schools such as James Ruse, I think you can still rank 100th and get a UAI of 99+.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
We have a librarian who constantly peeps through the seminar windows to make sure we aren't eating (and it's pretty freaky because he has a really long, tangled beard and to see that come out of the darkness is a bit heart stopping). But other than that we have no teachers.

Yeah i know we shouldn't be doing this in study periods, but when you're around friends you just can't help it! How long do yours usually go for? Mine are 75mins long.
Whoa, 75 minutes long. Mine is 50 minutes. We have few librarians (3 actually).

Librarians love me so I never got in trouble so far...

I also spend majority of my time talking about study tips too, I think THAT'S useful. I am like surrounded by nerds (non-asian nerds, we don't have much asian nerds, um...do we have any?) and we talk through study tips and homework. That way, study period is very useful. But it's a bit turn off when people turn the music too loud...omg, no. (full of shouting, omg)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:

I also spend majority of my time talking about study tips too, I think THAT'S useful. I am like surrounded by nerds (non-asian nerds, we don't have much asian nerds, um...do we have any?) and we talk through study tips and homework. That way, study period is very useful. But it's a bit turn off when people turn the music too loud...omg, no. (full of shouting, omg)
75 mins is an average period for me (can you imagine how slow time goes during English classes? Dreadful.)

Ew, I hate my librarian. He's mean!

LOL, tell those people to use headphones! In my study period, when we have nothing to talk about, we stare out the window and into people's backyards :eek:

jet

Banned
HSC
We didn't get study periods in year 11 except for 1 on a monday afternoon for the whole year. But that was generally taken up by form meetings and all my own work.
Once I finished the HSC though, it was really cool I have 14 study periods a fortnight, though sometimes they were during double maths periods in the morning and i had absolutely nothing to do.

With 4 unit maths the only thing I can say is to know your concepts, because you have to be able to think really dynamically in exams, not like 3 unit where you can predict each question. Harder 3 unit is insanely difficult and I would leave that till last, because it often involves everything else you have learnt.
Also, you need to make sure your rank is up there, not just for maths but for every subject, because once you lose it you will never get it back.

With science subjects you are better off studying the syllabus, because the questions come straight from there.

English is just practice.

In general, if you don't think you will get top ranks, just make sure you move up with the average, as the average school assessment mark is generally the pivot point for the aligning process between being moved up or down.

One thing I was really scared of was my assessment marks. I finished school with 92 for 3 unit (mark out of 50 doubled im pretty sure) and 90 for 4 unit. This really took away from my confidence, but they came out really well (97 and 95 respectively).

goliwog

HSC
Another tip is to make use of year 11. Some people dont get serious about study until a week before the hsc exam. However although the content may be irrelvent getting the skills is good practice. I didnt get serious until early in year 12 and it was hard because i hadnt done any serious study for years and took me ages to get a handle on it.

HSC
lyounamu said:

r u from an accelerated 2 unit class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)