Advice needed. (1 Viewer)

X-terc

HSC
N/A
I received an ATAR of 90.50 and I want to do law. The thing is, I put Macq as my first preference and UWS as my second preference.
UWS sent and email asking me to change my 1st preference to UWS and they'll offer me an Early Round Offer..it seems appealing and all because with my ATAR it is enough for me to go law at UWS but not at Macq.
But I do want to do Law at Macq because its more convenience for traveling purposes. I dont know if I should keep my preference as it is, or change UWS to first.

I don't know if Macq accepts atars below cut off? Or do they normally strictly stick of their cut offs? would it be a risk to keep my preference as it is, risking UWS's offer, considering i only made it to the course by 0.5. ?

Thanks for reading.

Demandred

HSC
I heard stories of people getting into law with around 94.xx, but 90.50 is too low for Macq U to accept you for law.

Your best bet is choose UWS as your first preference and then transfer after your first year - all you need is a credit average (which is not that hard). You'll get academic credit for most of the units studied at UWS anyway so it's still a 5 year degree.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Is there anything nice that is accompanied with the UWS offer? E.g. scholarship? As Demandred said, 90.xx is indeed a bit too low for mq (unless you have EAS). So if the UWS offer is attractive enough, then I'd go for UWS.
Though imo, your atar should be enough for you to be accepted at uws law anyway, so you could try your luck with mq if you care to.

philphie

Banned
HSC
always accept your first offer. after that wait for what you get in the main rounds and second rounds. that's what i hear people say.

X-terc

HSC
N/A
Nope, UWS didnt offer me a scholarship. I think with my ATAR it is a bit low for one. However, I do get EAS in which Macq accepts, but I'm not sure how many points I'll get from that. Also Macq doesnt given bonus points for law courses.

I think by the looks of it I will accept UWS's offer and just see what happens.

When you accept and offer, do other universities know that you do? And what is the likely hood of receiving 2 offers?

thanks for reading!

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
EAS bonus is different to the other bonus points scheme (where you get band 5 or 6 = bonus). As far as I know, EAS bonus is applicable for all courses including law. So you may well be able to get in mq after all.

X-terc

HSC
N/A
I'm paranoid that if i leave my preference as it is, I might not get an offer in UWS LAW at the Main Rounds with the talks of an increased in their enrollment.

Well I still got till the 3rd to decide.

But again it's not a guaranteed that I'll definately get into macq with eas ..i dont know what to do.

LordPc

HSC
cant you put down uws, get an offer, then accept it before the main round?

once you have accepted, switch your preferences, put macq law as your 1st pref and see what happens?

X-terc

HSC
N/A
They say Early Rounds are published on the 5th JAN and the dead line to change any courses will be the 6TH JAN. Main Rounds are 20th JAN. So I guess, it's possible?

I'm not sure if I can do that, but that is worth a try. (I never even thought of that ! LOL!!!)

Thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)