Advice on laptop (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys,

I have narrowed down the laptop I want to two Sony Vaio models but I am not sure which one will be better in the long run.

http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=30411
13.3" VAIO YOUNG BUSINESS COLOUR PC VGNSR16GNP
This one is a newer model, aprox 500g lighter and has a slightly faster processor (but only 0.16) however the ram can only be upgraded to 3gb. It has a 13.3"

http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=30604
14.1" VAIO FASHION COLOUR PC VGNCR353P
This is the older model, it has 4gb ram, a slightly slower processor and is a touch heavier.

I like both, but is there anything else I should be considering when deciding between the two? I have found somewhere that does number 1 for $1899 and no 2 for $1330. I think the first is a little over priced on my assessment of the specs but can someone with more no how tell me what they think

I currently have a Sony Vaio and love it, the main reason I am upgrading is it only had 512mb ram and I dont want to put more when its already nearly two years old...plus I want a pink one lol

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well what are you going to use it for, as an everyday PC just at home or are you taking it with you to uni etc. If you are moving about and traveling with it then battery life and portability come into it.

Although the weight difference isn't that much personally for portability most laptops are going to 13.3" and you'd probably appreciate it much more if you are carrying it all the time.

Looking at your course I'm assuming you would just be doing the basic computer tasks, word processing, Internet searching, IMing, music and the odd game so the 13.3" would be perfectly fine for that.

But like you said it's a little pricey compared to some of the other 13.3" on the market with similar specs but price would also be higher because it is a Sony Vaio. Which I'm assuming you want to stay with them because you haven't had any problems.

Anyway not sure if any of my rambling was any help but good luck. :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah its a tough choice. I'm going to use it for uni which I currently use the one I have now. The only thing that makes me think their weight isn't worth the price is the fact that I currently have a 14" 2.5kg laptop now and I can cope.

The main things I use it for is net, word processing, ripping cds etc

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Steal one of the many laptops you can find on display at the library mel!

Animals

Banned
HSC
melsc said:
I have one, like it and use it.

Lawyers cannot get convicted of much if they want to practice :(
What exactly can you get convicted of? I supposed petty crime like armed robbery wouldn't count right?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
melsc said:
Yeah its a tough choice. I'm going to use it for uni which I currently use the one I have now. The only thing that makes me think their weight isn't worth the price is the fact that I currently have a 14" 2.5kg laptop now and I can cope.

The main things I use it for is net, word processing, ripping cds etc
Ok so your used to carry a bit of weight, then I guess that isn't so much of a concern - however i think the way things are going getting smaller, lighter and yet still being quiet powerful/useful you might reject having a "heavy" ish laptop i.e. 15.4".

As for specs and price you would probably be able to find something else with similar if not better specs. But I would personally go for the 2nd one but from what your saying the 1st one is suitable for you.

aussie-boy

HSC
vaios are hideously overpriced, good quality yes, but still prone to all the problems with windows

also, note that these new ones will have vista - and the 1gb of ram supplied isnt going to cut it... so you're going to be forking out $$$ for a matching stick of ram (has to be the same for dual channel advantage)

new macbooks are coming out this week... and since you will be a student next year you will qualify for a big fat education discount. +it might even come with a very cheap ipod like theyve done at the beginning of each year for a while

macbooks have the same/better build quality as vaios and have better and less resource intensive software for basic users

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So you're suggesting she pass up the Vaios because they're overpriced...for an Apple...which is similarly overpriced?

Nice logic.

aussie-boy

HSC
AsyLum said:
So you're suggesting she pass up the Vaios because they're overpriced...for an Apple...which is similarly overpriced?

Nice logic.
well if you want good build quality and nice looks, you have to choose between them (or perhaps stretch to toshiba or lenovo)

apple is better value than sony, if only by a little

i made the mistake of disregarding these brands and going for the dell xps m1530... yes it has all the specs i wanted, but
-the speakers are bad
-the hard drive enclosure sticks out about 1mm
-the front IR panel is coming off
-keyboard is not good
-lid isnt magnetic

anyway point is you get what you pay for and specs arent everything

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What do specs, Dell or Toshiba have to do with the fact you suggested an overpriced product because the original product was overpriced?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I just put the models under the links because u cant get the exact URL so it might all make a bit more sense now.

I don't want a mac and have found a pretty good deal for the VAIOs. I'll probably go for the older one as there is a promotion which gives you 2gb ram free as vista will prob run better on 4gb ram rather than 2-3gb.

Is there anything else besides ram, weight or price thats different

04er

HSC
I would actually go for the one with the smaller screen. I have a 15.1" screen and find it is too big and heavy and want to get a 13.3".

2GB of ram on vista (from experience with my own laptop for the past one year) is definintely enough, especially for the purposes you have outlined. 3GB is more than sufficient.

But I can understand your dilemma, considering the price difference is that big...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melsc said:
I just put the models under the links because u cant get the exact URL so it might all make a bit more sense now.

I don't want a mac and have found a pretty good deal for the VAIOs. I'll probably go for the older one as there is a promotion which gives you 2gb ram free as vista will prob run better on 4gb ram rather than 2-3gb.

Don't go for one over the other because of a RAM promotion. Manufacturers overprice their ram fairly severely, so buy the laptop and upgrade it yourself (there'll be guides on most manufacturer websites, it's s 2-3 step process and just about the easiest user-serviceable part in any computer).

EDIT: Note also that, unless you're running vista 64 bit, you're not going to be able to address more than 3gb of ram anyway.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
melsc said:

Colour.

Make sure it doesn't look crap after you put a massive scratch on it :(

aussie-boy

HSC
AsyLum said:
What do specs, Dell or Toshiba have to do with the fact you suggested an overpriced product because the original product was overpriced?
the fact that there is a price scale for given specs

at one end you have dell with its shoddy build quality - which are cheap
then macs which are of excellent construction and fairly priced (according to you "overpriced")
then at the other end there are vaios which we both agree are overpriced

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)