Advice please. (1 Viewer)

so_what

HSC
This is probably a ridiculous question, but, how do you know if the program you are currently enrolled in is not for you? What exactly was it that made you realise this?
Anyone had experience in this? What did you do, transfer or soldier on?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The answer doesn't need to be yes to all of these, but needs to be yes for at the very least ONE of the following:

- Do you enjoy learning the material? (Distinction between learning the material and being assessed on it. You may hate the course because of the constant stress of exams and assessments, however, you may enjoy learning about it).
- Do you do relatively well in the subject? (Very little consideration should be given here).
- Try to get work experience in the area. Do you enjoy working in that field? If no, is there a possibly that that field will change over time?

If the answer is no to all three, then move.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Umm, I took Commerce to be my WAM booster. Didn't pan out that way. So my main expectation of Commerce was gone.

Plus, I didn't really enjoy Finance - and that was supposed to be my major, so I'm like stuck in limbo because none of the other Commerce majors really appealed to me and I wasn't enjoying Finance.

I decided to see what else I could do, that is, straight Adv Maths or Arts/Adv Maths. Decided, "Hey, I was good at English when I was at school - let's see how that goes".

And then I took English, and was like "omg this is amazing". So I'm transferring out.

So my six reasons for transferring are (in decreasing order of weight):

1. Commerce the WAM booster? More like: 'Commerce, the WAM killer'
2. Finance is fun? lolno
3. English at uni seems nice and taught well - it's not stupid English Advanced/Standard technique analysis, it's proper analysis like in EX1
4. I don't particularly like Commerce as a whole - like I see some people feverishly going through Financial Review and I can't really see myself doing that
5. I did well at English at school, so why not give English a go again?
6. (attractive) Female arts students. (i'd be lying to you if i didn't mention this - but it's reason #6)

Last edited:

so_what

HSC
Hmm well the answer was no to 2/3 of those questions. So I guess it isn't for me...

Funny, I was actually thinking of trying to transfer into Commerce.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
This is an odd question, pretty much you'd know if it wasn't right for you if you aren't happy in that course. It's not really something other people can determine for you.

Also, Shadow, the fact that number 6 is a reason is pathetic.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Umm, I took Commerce to be my WAM booster. Didn't pan out that way. So my main expectation of Commerce was gone.

Plus, I didn't really enjoy Finance - and that was supposed to be my major, so I'm like stuck in limbo because none of the other Commerce majors really appealed to me and I wasn't enjoying Finance.

I decided to see what else I could do, that is, straight Adv Maths or Arts/Adv Maths. Decided, "Hey, I was good at English when I was at school - let's see how that goes".

And then I took English, and was like "omg this is amazing". So I'm transferring out.

So my six reasons for transferring are (in decreasing order of weight):

1. Commerce the WAM booster? More like: 'Commerce, the WAM killer'
2. Finance is fun? lolno
3. English at uni seems nice and taught well - it's not stupid English Advanced/Standard technique analysis, it's proper analysis like in EX1
4. I don't particularly like Commerce as a whole - like I see some people feverishly going through Financial Review and I can't really see myself doing that
5. I did well at English at school, so why not give English a go again?
6. (attractive) Female arts students. (i'd be lying to you if i didn't mention this - but it's reason #6)
Hhahahahaha 6. is so so true :p. Try do International Relations it is like 60%-70% females.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is an odd question, pretty much you'd know if it wasn't right for you if you aren't happy in that course. It's not really something other people can determine for you.

Also, Shadow, the fact that number 6 is a reason is pathetic.
Pathetic? Maybe. Honest? Definitely.

Hhahahahaha 6. is so so true :p. Try do International Relations it is like 60%-70% females.
Yeah, while that'd be good - "English is good" outranks "attractive women" in the scheme so... I won't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)