Aeronautical Engineering (1 Viewer)

jackiebanh

HSC
Hi, im currently in year 10 and i am having my subject selections and was wondering if Engineering Studies would help me with Aeronautical Engineering when i get to university.
Thanks

shutupnsmile

Premium Member
HSC
Helps a bit. But you don't need it. I'm doing the same course as you but they teach you the same principles in uni. I haven't even used anything from high school so far except for maths and physics

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
it's not officially a prerequisite, but i think the materials and mechanics taught in hsc eng studies are a good warmup for the real materials and mechanics subjects you'll do at uni.
at unsw you start materials and mechanics in semester 2 of first year, and in the first few weeks i already recognised most of what was being taught.
obviously later on it goes into much greater detail, but i think hsc engineering studies is worth doing if you're 100% keen on doing an engineering degree at any university.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, im currently in year 10 and i am having my subject selections and was wondering if Engineering Studies would help me with Aeronautical Engineering when i get to university.
Thanks
I think you should do subjects like this in the HSC, that will actually benefit you in life later on or your potential university course. It may save you a lot of time and effort when it comes to revisiting these topics or if they become prerequisites to study.

Things like Maths (I think 2U is a must but 3U/4U could help a lot), Physics and Engineering Studies could help drastically. Maybe even Chemistry to some extent o_O, I'm not sure sorry I have no knowledge on an Engineering degree.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I think you should do subjects like this in the HSC, that will actually benefit you in life later on or your potential university course. It may save you a lot of time and effort when it comes to revisiting these topics or if they become prerequisites to study.

Things like Maths (I think 2U is a must but 3U/4U could help a lot), Physics and Engineering Studies could help drastically. Maybe even Chemistry to some extent o_O, I'm not sure sorry I have no knowledge on an Engineering degree.
then why are you posting here

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
then why are you posting here
I was meant to say I don't have that much knowledge on an engineering degree*. Although, I did contribute as much as much information I knew to help the thread starter.

Roy216

HSC
if you are going to do engineering studies, remember it is a difficult subject if you are not putting enough effort in. Theres alot of maths and alot of facts.
It's not really required for aeronautical engineering, the aeronautical section is only 1/5 of the year 12 course and if you find it hard in year 11, it only gets harder in year 12.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard you learn Shear Force and Bending Moment diagrams in Engineering Studies, early exposure to them would definetly help in uni.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
@roy, true hsc eng studies is difficult because the stuff taught is unlike any other subject, but as long as you pay attention and study hard you'll do fine.

also it doesnt really matter if 1/5 of hsc eng studies is aero.
the first year for all engineering streams at unsw is the same.
the mechanical and manufacturing faculty of eng (covers mechanical, mechatronic, aeronautical, manufacturing, and naval eng) do the exact same subjects for the first 2 years of uni.

hsc engineering studies teaches the absolute basics of materials science, mechanics and report writing, all of which are studied in all 4 years of your degree.
being close to the end of my mech degree, i strongly believe that doing engineering studies for hsc will be beneficial for you if you want to undertake an engineering degree after the hsc.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I heard you learn Shear Force and Bending Moment diagrams in Engineering Studies, early exposure to them would definetly help in uni.
yes.
forces, moments, sf/bm diagrams, method of joints, method of sections are all taught in hsc eng studies. there is at least 1 mechanics subject each year of your degree.
phase, microstructures, ferrite cementite pearlite, grain boundaries, forming processes. there is 1 subject in first year (second sem) on this, but not much later on in the degree.
it's better to have your wtf moments in high school, and have your teacher teach it to you in the most basic way, rather than come across these terms for the first time in uni and be expected to learn most of it yourself.
no one spoon feeds you at uni like in high school.

Roy216

HSC
yeah i forgot to mention, its basically a headstart. You learn things that you will be taught in your first years so it can be beneficial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)